jeannie_nguyen

IdeaChat Video - Pet Crates - 3.20.14

Jeannie Nguyen
What are your thoughts on having crates for your pets while you're not home?

Watch today's IdeaChat video and let us know if you have a pet crate or if you're against the idea. If you have photos, post those too!

Terra Bella Show House 2013 · More Info

• sculptedzoo
    Our puppies only go in their crates when its meal time. They take up most of the room when its time for bed, and they even get couch time when we watch movies. They are very free here to do as they please. We live just outside of a small town with lots of land for the pups to roam. I hope this isn't to fan boyish for me to say Jeannie you're pretty :)
    Jeannie Nguyen thanked sculptedzoo
  • Jeannie Nguyen
    Haha, thank you! :)

Cute pups too!
  • sculptedzoo
    Your dress coat looks a little outta focus ;-p
    You still did a great job, and keep up the good work.
    Thanks my puppies are cute, and thats why the crates are only used during meal time.
  • KD
    In the past my family has had dogs that needed to be crated for safety when we were out (one rottweiler mix with separation anxiety - we were seriously concerned he would hurt himself trying to go through a window if not crated) but we always worked towards getting them to the point where they were fine being left out, and then the door came off the crate and it was left for the dog to use as a den if the dog wanted. (Some have, some haven't - if the dog showed no interest in using it ever then we'd pack it up out of the way.)

For that reason I don't think I'd ever build in a crate that didn't have the option for easy door removal if desired.
  • nemo1
    We have 2 Australian Terriers and they have free roam of our 4 acres during the day. Sit on the couch in evening and watch TV with us. At bed time they have been trained to go to their crate for the night. When we turn TV off they go out side for a few minutes (dog door) and come running in and go straight to their Crate for the night.
  • lilyquincy
    One of my dogs stays in a crate but not the other - and only when I am not at home. When I am at home he is on the bed or couch - right now we are on my patio and he's even on a chair out here. He loves going in his crate when I leave - he hears my keys and goes in. He once turned the gas on the stove when he wasn't in his crate, and chewed up some blinds so bad he bled on them. So his crate is his safe place for him and for me.
  • portpiro
    What happens when nature calls?
  • KD
    @portpiro - in a crate? The idea is that the dog should never be crated long enough that the call of nature becomes an issue. So an older dog can likely be comfortably crated longer than a puppy, as puppies have to learn to hold it.

With our dog that had to be crated for his own safety, even as an adult my parents would usually try to come home around lunchtime to let him out for a quick potty break, and then when I got home from school at around 4pm I'd let him out for the evening. Even in a properly sized crate they still can't move around as much as would be ideal, so you don't want to keep them crated TOO long anyway.

(With puppies we were housebreaking, we always lined the crate with something that would be easy to clean up if there was an accident, like unscented puppy pads. Not the ones that are treated to encourage the dog to pee there, that would be confusing. But between the puppy pads and keeping an eye on the clock in terms of how long the dog had been crated, we never had any particular trouble with nature calling.)
  • Maggie Setler
    You can ask training/ crating /housebreaking questions of dog trainer Rebecca Setler at "The Housebreaking Bible" a FREE online resource that will teach the basics of housebreaking a puppy or adult dog as well as help you with issues like teaching your dog to be quiet in his crate or teaching him to use a doggie door or bark to go outside.
  • bubblyjock
    We have crates for those that forget they're house-trained when we're out, but everyone uses them occasionally, out of choice.

Funny dogs in crate (well, igloo) short video:
  • Beth Bevington
    We started with a small crate when she first came home. She loves her crate. 10 pm goes to the crate in the bedroom. In the middle of the night I open the door and she jumps on the bed.
    Travels in the car with it. Seems to be her safe place.
  • Lynda
    We tried crate training with our pug puppy when we brought her home from the breeder at 11 weeks old. Despite following all the recommendations for crate training (leave the door open, put comfy pillow inside, put a treat inside, etc), she hated it from day 1. She refused to go in on her own and cried if we put her in.

We gave up after a few weeks. When she was really little, we just left her in our bedroom when we were leaving the house for a few hours (with puppy pads on floor) but after a few months, we were able to let her roam freely throughout the house when we are gone (we have a doggie door to the backyard).

I still think crate training is a great idea - it just isn't right for Maisie. It helps that my husband is retired and elderly mother in law lives with us, so it is rare that she is alone more than a couple of hours.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    I know people want to crate puppy's. But I think it's better to lock in a laundry room or bathroom instead. Make sure they have water and chew toys. After the puppy stage, let them roam or stay outside in good weather. Dogs are very social animals,and needs interaction with humans. If you can't be home with a new puppy should not be getting a puppy. Maybe a adult dog that is trained would be better.
  • Rachel H
    My pit-mix doesn't need to be crated anymore but I occassionally foster pups and they should be crated until they're trusted and comfortable. When I had my kitchen updated, an empty space where a new peninsula meets an old wall cabinet can fit a crate but I'll likely never use the space after all.

It's good for dogs to be crate trained in case it needs to be done one day.

This is my pup Sophie (right) with my most recent foster Seymour (left).
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    Crates don't mean the dog is not with their humans. My puppies are always crate trained and the crate is in my bedroom so I could hear if they needed to go out. I agility train so my dog must be in the crate to trial. My dog goes to the groomer and he is kept in the crate when he is not being groomed. My dog travels with me and stays in a Sherpa bag. There are many reasons, especially if he needs to stay at the vet, why it is desire able to crate train a dog. If you do it right the dog loves his crate. I also think if you take the dog in a car it is the safest way to do it.
  • canadiannorth
    I thought crates were cruel until I actually got my first dog. If you've ever read the book or seen the movie "Marley and me", well... that was my George. I read that book and I laughed and cried... and wondered why the heck I hadn't thought to write a book - maybe it would have covered all the cost in damages. Sometimes dogs have to be crated; for house training and/or their safety and that of their surroundings. No, I'm not a dummy dog owner. I've owned three other dogs during and since George and I've bred two litters without enough trouble to write a book about.
  • juriathe
    I worked in a pet shop with puppies for a few years. When people would tell us it was cruel to have them crated we would ask if they had the same thought about their children when they were babies. Babybeds and playpens are used every day with babies; crates are just pet versions of them. Used correctly they are a great device. We use them for sick animals that need to be monitored; elderly pets that forget their training, and brats that forget their manners around food or company. The crate allows them to be with us, but safely aside from food prep, eating, or strangers. Once the situation is over, they are allowed out again. At night a simple " Kennel up !" sends them to their beds most nights. They also get a chew toy in there that they never get while loose, so they associate it with something enjoyable.
  • vtlady52
    I understand the concern over losing a pet in a fire (when you are not at home and they are in the crate.) Let me point out that if you aren't home, chances are not good for the animals. No one is there to rescue them. In a crate, not in a crate...it probably won't matter.
    I never agreed with crating a dog but a good friend changed my mind. She pointed out a dog is a pack animal like the wolf. They sleep in dens and they like feeling the protective crate around them.
    Our dogs are put in crates when they are puppies or if they are having a hard time with one thing or another. The crates are there and left open with their pillows inside. The dogs go in and lay down as they want. You would be surprised how often they lay in there.
    I am a convert!