Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_3803862

Lighter or darker tile ??

User
10 years ago
What's everyone's opinion on these tiles for backsplash... Darker subway tiles or lighter bigger tiles. I think both look good in space but not sure which to choose. My space is very sunny so light is not and issue. It's colonial cream granite.

Comments (42)

• rinked
    10 years ago
    The brick shaped. Not because it's darker, but because I like the texture better.
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    How much tiling area is there?
  • linleep
    10 years ago
    I like the contrast of the darker.
  • Stacey
    10 years ago
    I like the shading and texture of the darker one.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for York help. I really needed some other opinions. There is about 25 sq feet to tile. The raised snack bar area and behind by cooktop and hood.
  • PRO
    Home Center Outlet
    10 years ago
    Like the shape of the darker and the color of the lighter! Good luck with your renovation!
  • PRO
    Patina Period Design
    10 years ago
    I suggest a light color with very little pattern. The one on the right looks as though you tried to match, but failed. The subway shape is better for the space you have, however.
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    With the wooden cabinets and stainless appliances I personally would pick a very pale greige tile instead of something that looks like the countertop.
  • Marge
    10 years ago
    I like the darker on the right. The light one on the left would have to be pieced when installed (at least per the top picture) and to me would look strange. The subway tile has a more even look and has nice texture to it, more pleasing to my eye. Try placing the tiles from the granite to the cabinets to see what it looks like. That would show you a larger area which may help you decide. If all else fails go with your gut.
  • derk5
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    As others have said, like the color of the square, but the shape of the subway. If you go with the square, you could install it in a brick pattern. If you go with the subway, you could eliminate the darkest tiles (bottom right) to lighten the overall pattern. What color and material is your floor?
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    My floor is wood. Essentially the same color as the cabinets. Did not think of trying a grey tile but that is an interesting thought. I did get a glass with slate tile (see photo) that I was considering. What does everyone think of it.
  • derk5
    10 years ago
    Think the glass and slate tile would work as an accent, but would be too busy for the whole area. Also think they are a trend that will date the kitchen more quickly than either of the other tiles. Personally, prefer beige/tan shades over grey. By the way, your cabinets and countertop look terrific together.
  • janbwill
    10 years ago
    personally I think either color is fine, but do it in the subway for sure
  • Jolene
    10 years ago
    Darker.
  • PRO
    Patina Period Design
    10 years ago
    Grey is not a good choice at all. Glass with slate is too busy and will date the kitchen. You want something that you will not regret in 5 years. Cream in a subway is going to look stellar.
    User thanked Patina Period Design
  • Melissa E
    10 years ago
    Whatever you pick make sure it doesn't have any texture, as there is a lot of texture going on already in your countertops.
  • deborita81
    10 years ago
    I prefer the darker subway tile. As you can see though it's hard to get everyone to agree !
    User thanked deborita81
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you everyone for your help. It is a tough decision to make. I was thinking of only putting the glass and slate behind the cooktop and hood and going with a solid tile on the outer counters and raised snack bar area. I've seen this look a lot in newer homes and I because my husband likes a bit of slate in that tile I was considering incorporating it into the design.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Adivra do u have a picture to share of your selection? Would truly appreciate it.
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    Here's some examples of what the tiles could look like.
    Quite traditional (and a bit too much for me).
    Real Estate Photography Chenal · More Info

Oakley Home Builders · More Info
    User thanked rinked
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    Looking at it and looking at several photos in searches I did, I think a simple smooth cream tile isn't a bad idea at all. I do like the look of matching stone backsplash, but not with natural wood (all the cream/white painted examples looked ok).
    Botanica · More Info
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Rinqreation: would u say use a cream porcelain subway verses using the natural stone subway look. ?
  • PRO
    Patina Period Design
    10 years ago
    yes, that is what she and I are both suggesting.
    User thanked Patina Period Design
  • derk5
    10 years ago
    For comparison, here's an example of a multi-shade subway tile (2x4 instead of the typical 3x6) next to the solid subway tile (posted by rinqreation). The countertops in these photos have more of a pebble pattern than yours.
  • PRO
    All in a Day, LLC
    10 years ago
    I like the darker subway tiles - I think it needs more of a contrast to the counter.
    User thanked All in a Day, LLC
  • PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    10 years ago
    Go bold, go darker! Tile that is close in color with your counters seem to wash away from a distance and look very blah. (as pictured above by derkacs) My opinion though :)
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    Is there an edge available in the same granite? An exterior quality paint above a granite edge would be a good option to consider.
    User thanked rinked
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    derkacs: thank you for the comparison in the pictures….I like the stone look on the left and it has made me lean towards that look in a 2 x 4 subway. Thank you for your help…:-}
  • derk5
    10 years ago
    jpetoniak: Glad you found the side-by-side photos helpful. Here are some glazed porcelain or ceramic tiles that might work for you: American Olean Avante Bianco (3x6), Style Selections Floriana Heather (2x4), Marazzzi Terra Topaz Ice (2x4), Marazzi Montagna Cortina (2x4). Available at Lowes or Home Depot. These tiles have the subtle shading of stone to add interest, but are glazed for easy cleaning.
  • mlou72
    10 years ago
    I think you need more contrast. It's too matchy matchy.
  • Sam Dewick
    10 years ago
    I think the lighter one looks great
  • shelleyuk
    10 years ago
    Definitely the lighter option. IMO the darker option looks old fashioned (but I'm in the UK where tastes are often slightly different)
  • PRO
    Oasis Tile
    10 years ago
    Try using a lighter tile like this
    Botticino Marble 2" x 4" Cream/Beige Brick Series Polished Stone · More Info
    User thanked Oasis Tile
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    The lighter tile seems to wash out the counter top, the darker tile brings it to life.
  • patn1234
    10 years ago
    Jpet- Glass the color of sand or cream, otherwise too busy imho.
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    Yes, a satin/matte sand/tan or cream.
  • PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    10 years ago
    We used Colonial Gold granite on our remodel (similar to your Colonial Cream). We went with a mosaic with more colors. I like the one on the right better of the two.
  • Grace Jimenez
    10 years ago
    The lighter tile, but in the subway shape
  • User
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Finally made a decision and tile is in. We love the look. Thanks Houzzers for your help and guidance. Check it out.
  • PRO
    Oasis Tile
    9 years ago
    Wow, that's the perfect balance jpetoniak.
  • feisty02
    9 years ago
    what color is the tile, it looks great