Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
applejuice

applejuice
12 years ago
We are in great need for help. We're planning to take care of the back yard and need some inspiration with colors, lights, shade and design of the lawn, pretty much everything that needs attention.
Seating:
-We plan to update the outdoor table and chairs on the deck. We’ll need a smallish 6 seat table as there is not much room on the deck.
-By the small backdoor also would like to find some comfy seating or try to build a bench with colorful pillows but this idea is still not clearly defined
- I’d like to keep the sofa and integrate in the color schema if possible.
Landscaping:
-I’d like to remove the landscape rocks along the long fence and to expand the grass area up to the fence. Same will happen with the rocks next to the garage door. I plan to remove the green bush next the orange tree to allow it more room to grow.
- We have a 4 yo boy and the area that used to be grassy is his favorite play area. During the summer he's getting his tent installed, small water pool for splashing etc so I am trying to weight if artificial grass might be a better idea? The entire area is mostly shady during the day and the grass never really been in good shape because various reasons.
Shades:
-Would a retractable awning be a good choice? They appear to be expensive and i don’t know if they are resistant enough to last for several years.
Lighting:
-Under the roof, in front of the small door, there is a small light that we need to upgrade and also there is a sensor light on the wall facing the deck, between the small door and French door. This light fixture we also wish to update with a more comfortable light for the evenings when we spend time outdoor at the table or in the hot tub.
Color:
-The entire house wall will get a new paint and I am not sure what to pick, something happy and fun.
Any other ideas are more than welcome. Many thanks!

Comments (10)

• applejuice
    Original Author
    12 years ago
  • TanCalGal
    12 years ago
    I like some rocks for interest in a yard but you have too many. I'd leave the rocks around the palm and the tree next to the palm as a circular oasis. I think I'd make the oasis slightly larger especially toward the grass where palm is. In the oasis I'd plant only Agapanthus or Day lilies all around the trees, circling the trees. Around each tree in the yard I'd do the same: circular oasis with Agapanthus or Day Lilies. For the rest of the long fence, I'd continue with your plan for grass. For the large shrub near the citrus: first I'd try pruning the shrub back to about 1 to 2 feet before taking out. I just hate the thought of taking out a healthy shrub. I do not know anything about the pros and cons of fake grass, but I think if I were a 4 yo boy I'd prefer real grass to play in. Try watering the grass more and fertilizing regularly and it might start growing better for you. For house paint, I'd stick to something neutral like you have with white trim. Something that will blend with the pretty Arizona flagstone, but not compete with it. Here are ideas for exterior upgraded lights. Note that the AZ flagstone looks great with terra-cotta urns and weathered wood seating. Nice taupe exterior paint as well.
    Hillside Medeterranean 01 (Design by Bernard Trainor & Associates) · More Info

Here are some Q/A on retractible awnings http://www.houzz.com/questions/query/retractible-awning
  • Katherine Likely
    12 years ago
    I hate artifical grass as it is difficult to care for. I would invest in some Candian grass seeds for your grassy area. Takes a lot of abuse and not much water. It is better for a playful boy to great grass burn boo boobs then cracked and bleeding knees on stones.

Yet, flat flag stones would be the way to go for the walk way behind the BBQ area with less maintance to worry about there, since it is a difficult spot. If you could put up a decorative kiddie gate between the stones and the grass - that would be even better.

I would extend the height of your deck area to cover the bottom step, put a decorative fence around it that would keep the little one from falling off and give warmth to the yard. I would put the fence in front of the deck and not on it - like is normally done. The picture I have enclosed is the type of fencing I was thinking of with the bars close together to keep little heads from pushing through. By making this type of fencing taller you can achive two things. You will be able to use your entire deck without the hemmed in feeling and still have a protective side for the little one. Also with it on the ground you will not need to close off the bottom of the deck as the child still will not be able to get under the deck - because of the fencing. This will give depth to your yard and decking. I would say a 4 1/2 foot fence would work out nicely. About 1 1/2 feet on the ground and 3 feet next to the deck itself.

The only thing I can preceive about taking out the rocks is not having a defination of the areas. I'm not a rock fan, but they do serve their purpose.

Check out Ebay for some of your deck items, even with shipping they are sometimes - not always - cheaper then what you can find in your local stores. I bought my BBQ and my roaster on Ebay and paid far less then retail.

I would defintely remove the creepy crawlies from your garage walls, in time they will settle into any cracks and widden them - if the garage develo
  • Katherine Likely
    12 years ago
    I realize that you have stone in your back yard - but the flatter and the more deverse these pathways will have people oohing and awhing and you will be very happy with the results. The one I included above with a patio - doesn't have to be confind just to a patio.
  • PRO
    NO Equal Design Company
    11 years ago
    Here are a couple suggestions for your shade problems. No Equal Design has many different options, check us out!
  • PRO
    Global Syn-Turf - Artificial Grass Supplier
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    applejuice, it's been nearly three years since you started this thread. I'm curious what you ended up doing! If you're still receptive to ideas, I think artificial grass would be a great implement in your back yard, for a number of reasons.

(1) If you have a small water pool, artificial grass, unlike real grass, is invulnerable to chlorine contamination and discoloration; and it doesn't have the negative side effect of grass clippings getting blown into the pool.

(2) Artificial grass is indeed ideal if your real grass has been struggling to grow. Artificial grass looks great all year round and, contrary to what someone wrote above, it requires no maintenance or care, saving you time, money, and water.

(3) Regarding your son's enjoyment and safety, artificial grass is better than real grass because, for one, there are no consequent mud and grass stains (on your son or in the house). Secondly, artificial grass renders more playtime than natural grass. That is to say, natural grass has periods in which it's not fit to be played on -- after rainfall for instance, because of mud, etc. Artificial grass on the other hand is always fit for playtime, even after rainfall, because there's no mud! Increased playtime equates to increased opportunity for engaging in filial bonding activities with your son.

TanCalGal, one of the reasons artificial turf is so frequently installed at playgrounds and at child care centers is precisely because children are congenial to it!

Learn more at www.globalsynturf.com.
  • Kelley Dockrey
    9 years ago
    where will the retractable shade go and where is your house located? you noted that you were concerned about the lifespan of retractable awning. Lifespan really will depend on the environment and weather.
  • PRO
    Infinity Canopy
    8 years ago
    You can use Infinity Canopy with or without a pergola. It is supported by cables so it's retractable. Unlike regular canopies that are one piece Infinity Canopy modular so it can adapt to any space, configured in any width and length, and in one or multiple colors www.infinitycanopy.com
  • PRO
    RetractableAwnings.com Inc.
    7 years ago

applejuice,

If you are only seeking a product for shade protection then a good, highly quality folding lateral arm awning is all you need. Here is an example: https://www.retractableawnings.com/lateral-arm-awnings/palermo-plus.html . If you are seeking a water proof product then you should consider a water proof (not water resistant) retractable patio cover system like this one: https://www.retractableawnings.com/patio-cover-awnings/salerno.html 

For our contact information, please visit: https://www.retractableawnings.com/contact/ 

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm