Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kmedl

Need advice for a complete redesign of laundry room

kmedl
10 years ago
We are getting ready to knock down some walls and open up our cramped laundry room. This is a space that you enter into from the garage and then into the kitchen. Right now there are 4 doors in this small space and we'd like to take down 2 walls and get rid of two doors. One door goes into the garage, one door goes into the small room with the washer, dryer, and sink, one door (bifold) is a closet/storage area and one door goes to the kitchen. When we take out the 2 doors, this will open up the space to approximately 164" long and 67" wide. The ceilings are 9 ft.

It needs to serve as a place for the washer and dryer, a sink, and storage for cleaning supplies. There will still be a door that goes to the garage and a door that goes into the kitchen. We will be getting a new washer and dryer once we decide how to lay out the new room. I need a deep laundry room sink for bathing the dog and would like it to be an undermount type. We do want some cabinets to keep everything stored away. We'll need new lighting, flooring, and counter tops.

We'd like to keep the washer and dryer in the same general location so we don't have the expense of moving that water and electrical. However, we do want to move the sink to the other side where the closet currently is so its not so close to the washer/dryer. We will consider a stackable washer/dryer if that is the best option (although our contractor doesn't think that's a good option if we later sell).

I hope you can tell what the space is like from these pictures. It's hard to take pics in such a small space. I'll have to attach the pics in 2 separate posts. The first picture shows the door from the kitchen area.

Comments (17)

• kmedl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here are a few more of the closet side and the floor space.
  • kmedl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Here are just a few more. I know it's confusing....it's all doors!!! This is the space looking into the kitchen from the garage (and my doggie who follows me everywhere :)
  • kmedl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I think this one might show the laundry area a little better???
  • kmedl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Forgot to show the sink that is in there now with the washer/dryer. We'll be replacing that sink.
  • kmedl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ok. Let me draw out a floorplan with measurements and see if that helps.
  • kmedl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Maybe this will give you a better idea of the layout. I don't have any graph paper, so it's not to scale. I've tried to draw in where the washer/dryer and sink are currently located. I've also marked the measurements and the sections of walls that we want to remove.

From the kitchen there are 2 steps down into this space. The garage door is directly in front of you (from the kitchen), the laundry area on the left and a closet on the right. The garage door swings into the space and the kitchen door opens into the kitchen.

Let me know if there is a better way for me to draw this out.
  • kmedl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oh yes, we're up for moving some of the plumbing and removing walls and doors. We want to get the sink over to the right side of this whole space (current closet space) and remove 2 doors and two walls- the door on the left to the washer/dryer area and the one on the right (bifold doors) to the closet area.

This will give us a whole open space of roughly 67" x 164". Our contractor has already told us those walls are not load bearing and can be removed.
  • kmedl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The only doors we do NOT want to remove are the ones to the garage and to the kitchen.
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    How about putting the washer where the sink now is, and the dryer next to it (on the left side)? Then counter area and storage cabinets opposite (wall that is next to kitchen).
    Lottery Home 2011 - the Mackenzie · More Info

Dannyhill Residence · More Info

Georgian Residence New Canaan · More Info

Birmingham, MI Mud/Laundry Room Addition · More Info
    kmedl thanked pcmom1
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    What size dog are you bathing?
    Cobblestone Farms · More Info
    kmedl thanked pcmom1
  • bubbasgma
    10 years ago
    Ahahaha! pcmom! He's up top, in the pictures. But I could use one that big, for sure!!!
    kmedl thanked bubbasgma
  • kmedl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, I do have an ideabook for the laundry room.

The water pipes run up from the crawl space and they are behind the washer/dryer. We're trying to save as much $ as possible by minimizing the movement of water and electrical.

We don't really need cubbies, but definitely need cabinets.

Doggie is small - a shihpoo

Budget is $7,000-8,000 including washer/dryer, sink, cabinets, flooring, counters and labor.
  • Cindy Martin
    9 years ago
    Any idea when you will start the Redo for thisoom. I'm waiting .
  • kmedl
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I'm sorry, Cynthia! I didn't have any idea that someone was waiting to see what we were going to do with the laundry room. We were getting ready to start and then had to put it on hold to take care of relocating my parents and getting them settled. That took all of our budget for the laundry room. So we have no idea when we will get started again. I will be sure to post it when we do start back up!
  • Cindy Martin
    9 years ago
    I had just started with Houzz when you did the Grandkids room. I really enjoyed it. Then the guest room then master bedroom . You did a great job and I really enjoyed them.

Sorry you had to move your parents. Hope they have adjusted well.

Will be watching for the laundry room redo.
    kmedl thanked Cindy Martin
  • kmedl
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks! We are eager to get that project going - just need to save up the money : )