Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vljohnson5

Gut it or Keep It?

Netta
10 years ago
Recently moved and looking for ideas on what to do with our bathroom. Should we gut it and start from scratch or should we work with the current layout.

Comments (23)

• hayleydaniels
    10 years ago
    How much confusion are you willing to deal with as you move into a new home? And how much money are you willing to invest to change the bathroom? I ask this because renovations aren't nearly as easy as they appear on HGTV and the DIY Network. And you can be sure it's going to cost at least twice what you budget, and take twice as long as you expect. If you're serious about renovating your bathroom, set your TIVO for DIY Network's Renovation Realities, and watch a dozen or so episodes to give yourself an idea of what it's really like.

What you might do that wouldn't be that big a deal is put a new countertop and sinks on the vanity, replace the faucets and the lights and paint.
    Netta thanked hayleydaniels
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    What hayleydaniels says (but I'd leave out the confusion, lol). I'd also like to ask how your diy skills are? And in what state is the hardware, but especially the tiling and grout right now?
    Netta thanked rinked
  • Lynne Forrestal
    10 years ago
    Yes we definitely need to know condition, now and an idea of budget both money and time. I'll start by saying replace the toilet, for a taller energy efficient one, in white. New counter / sink/ faucet and at least frame the mirror if not replacing it. New light fixture and paint, unless things are actually in bad shape.
    Netta thanked Lynne Forrestal
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    And if there's budget to do so, I'd say gut.
    Maybe re-use the vanity with a new top on it, if it's in good shape.

Post a scetch of the floorplan please, so we can see what 'could be'.
    Netta thanked rinked
  • bubbasgma
    10 years ago
    Totally depends on your budget.
    Netta thanked bubbasgma
  • Netta
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The bathroom is in great condition, barely used. The home was built for an elderly couple who lived here for 5 years before moving on...... All the bathrooms were re-tiled, and the tubs, sinks & toilets were replaced before we moved. The room has no style. I do like the idea of replacing counter tops & fixtures. My budget is $1000 per bathroom with very little wiggle room. All the ideas/comments so far have been wonderful!!
  • Netta
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I've added the floor plan for the bathroom. I would love to see what you think it could be.
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    In that case keep it and, like you said, replace the countertop (maybe stain or paint the cabinet and add some handles?). Some paint and new lighting (and new mirror or at least some trim around it) will get you far. I would change the toilet for a white one though.
    Netta thanked rinked
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    10 years ago
    I would simply paint get the correct color toilet kid and wait till you have the budget for a total gut.
    Netta thanked saratogaswizzlestick
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    Maybe not the best examples, but these do show the effect of paint:
    Bathroom · More Info

casual luxury · More Info

Mabel St Display Home · More Info

master bathroom · More Info
    Netta thanked rinked
  • Lynne Forrestal
    10 years ago
    what kind of style or feeling do you want for this bathroom? Is it the main bathroom or master bath?
    Netta thanked Lynne Forrestal
  • Netta
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I would like something comfortable, not too flashy and easy to keep clean. The Mabel St. Display home is more my style. This is the guest room bathroom, however, all bathrooms are exactly alike. I am not that creative, so I will keep them all similar, with a small change in fixtures & lighting.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Keeping existing layout of fixtures is always cheaper.
    Netta thanked User
  • PRO
    KD Painting
    10 years ago
    If you make changes to your layout, only your plumbing will be over $1000. I suggest investing in painting, mirror, fixture to give it a new look. Good Luck!
    Netta thanked KD Painting
  • lucidos
    10 years ago
    I'm with the previous posters. Get a new toilet and vanity light and work with what you have. Strange that the home is only 5 years old with harvest gold and that light fixture, plumbing fixtures and vanity are 60's - 70's ?

I suggest the following.

1. Paint the vanity. Go a black - piano black. High gloss.
    2. Trim the mirror with a black frame. This is stupidly easy to do.
    3. Get handles for the vanity doors.
    4. With the gold and black as your base find a wallpaper.
    5. New lighting.
    6. Black toilet seat.

I mocked something up for you...Just to get an idea. But you can use a simpler paper.
  • PRO
    Charmean Neithart Interiors
    10 years ago
    The layout looks fine, just finishes need updating. Consider removing that wall between shower and vanity, it will really open up the space.
  • Lynne Forrestal
    10 years ago
    This isn't a very good photo but this style vanity top, will give a modern feel, I have this style and it is the easiest to keep clean!! paint vanity either black or dark brown tone, and use this vanity top in white to get a feel simalar to the mabel display above on a budget. Frame mirror using door frame molding, painted and mitered and glue it using one approved to use on mirrors ( any big box store like menards / lowes etc has it) paint to match vanity, so easy and inexpensive. Paint walls color of your choice, perhaps just a hint of aqua??? for modern and spa feel.
  • Netta
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you for the great advice. I have that high gloss black paint so I will start that part if the project this week.

To Lucidis - how did you do the mock drawing? That looks awesome!
  • mica04
    10 years ago
    Leave the layout as is and work on updating the space with a more current look. I would remove the wall between the shower and vanity and replace with glass (frosted if you are concerned about privacy). This will bring in the light from the window to the rest of the washroom. Also, consider replacing the tiles, as they are outdated as well as the toilet and tub and replace with white. The light also needs to be replaced as well as the faucets. I would keep the counter and sinks if you like them...lastly, paint. You don't need to do this all at once...
  • mica04
    10 years ago
    Forgot to mention the glass wall should be only half a wall above the electrical switch.
    Netta thanked mica04
  • Cyndy
    10 years ago
    Wow, lucidos truly IS a magician! I just clicked on her name, as she suggested, and she is AWESOME! You're fortunate to have attracted her to your dilemma - "what she said" :)
  • lucidos
    10 years ago
    Cyndy..TY!!
Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!