Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tullymore

Help with refinishing old antique farmhouse doors and replacement glas

tullymore
10 years ago
My husband and I have been working on our old farmhouse for years. One of our next projects this summer is to refinish our front doors. We have one that goes into the dining room seen here and one to the right that would have gone into a parlor. I want to replace the glass which is really thin, one panel is cracked. I'd like to go with something heavier, perhaps leaded. Our house is yellow with a green roof. We just haven't painted the siding on the porch yet. We were originally going with maroon/burgandy trim on the house, but I think I'm opting for white now and painting the doors red. Does anyone know of a source for getting panels of leaded glass custom ordered. Any other ideas for these tired looking doors? Thank you!

Comments (8)

• tullymore
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you Dynamic Garage Door, I love that idea.
  • PRO
    Dynamic Garage Door
    10 years ago
    No problem TulleyMore, happy to help!
  • bungalowmo
    10 years ago
    While I don't have the answer, I know folks who can help. This site is for old house owners. Mainly from about 1930's back to the 1700's.

There are several who have restored their original front doors like yours. They can tell you what finishes held up & which failed...as well as how to prep & different glass options to use.

It's called https://www.wavyglass.org/
    It's easy to sign up & post any questions you like. I'm there too. They helped with a bunch of my questions, as well as my door too!
    tullymore thanked bungalowmo
  • bungalowmo
    10 years ago
    Hey....a couple more things...
    I'd love to see more pics of your old place! :0)
    And...is that a doorbell on your front door? I think it's a loud twisty one like mine!!
  • tullymore
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, that is the original door bell! I'll try to take some photos in the parlor, there is some really cool ornate wood and art work under the windows.
  • bungalowmo
    10 years ago
    What's the style of your home? Looks from the doors & wood siding that it's maybe a Queen Anne? The folks on that forum LOVE to see pics!

We all used to belong to http://www.oldhouseweb.com/ until about a year or so ago when the new owners let it get overrun with spammers & trolls. One of my favorite sections is the picture forum. If only for eye candy or inspiration, it's fun to look!
    http://www.oldhouseweb.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=12&sid=37ed82ce8fdfc20e0a4f25d15bb75043

Careful...that section can suck you in for hours! :0)
  • tullymore
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    It's not a Queen Anne, but our porch is nothing special to look at right now. We took the gingerbread down when we rebuilt the porch, but have always intended to put it back up. In fact before we took it out down, a neighbor who lives in her childhood home a couple of miles from us came and took rubbings of the gingerbread. We also had an unused fancy column that matched what was on our front porch. A carpenter recreated the columns for her and gingerbread in time for a family wedding. What inspired her to come to our house for the designs was that our porch matched what her porch originally looked like from an old family photo. Pretty cool.