0
cindy32tn

cindy32tn
Are brass or gold fixtures making a comeback?

Not in Austin, Texas.
  • Rio Brewster
    Not that I've seen. Polished Nickel is the new satin nickel.
  • nevadan
    Here in NV we don't go by fashions - just what you like and what goes well with its background. Art plus function. Is is like choosing your jewelry. But - if you are selling your house you would want to add all of the latest gimmicks.
    KBDesign
    Not in New England, Chrome, polished nickel and brushed nickel (stainless) finishes are the most popular, also the most durable. I think a lot of clients remember the pitting and corrosion on the brass and gold finishes. I know the finishes are better today but the memories still remain.
  • feeny
    Have to say I really dislike shiny brass and (even worse) gold fixtures. I'm happy to say they are not making a comeback in my area (northern midwest), and I hope they never do.
  • Elyn's Library
    Just as every shade of Grey is the "new neutral", most of the metallic finishes I'm seeing out here in northern California seem to be an assortment of the silver colored metals (nickel, stainless, chrome) - whether polished, brushed or "antiqued" - with an occasional "dark bronze" thrown in for good measure.
  • lefty47
    HI -- Yes , gold and brass are coming back BUT the brass is an antiqued brass and the golds are old golds . These have an aged richer look to them are not like the shiney cold looking sometimes cheap looking metals of the 80's and early 90's. Their being featured in the Canadian magazines often now. Check them out on Canadianhouseandhome.com and Styleathome.com Chrome is also back ,-the old tried and true and now there is a white brass that is stunning . Emtek .com has hardware in the white brass.
  • Rio Brewster
    KBDesign is right. The finishes are much more durable now. But I never even see brass in the store anymore - and not much chrome either. Delta has a new light bronze like Kohler's.

Maybe when it totally disappears from Home Depot and Lowes it's poised for a comeback. ;^)
    In the US, Emtek is calling their new metal White Bronze. Go figure!
  • Rio Brewster
    hmmm. sure looks like gold to me.
  • joeyrabbit
    UGH...just ugly!
    Stanton Designs-online design services
    No... but if you love them... don't be afraid to use them.
  • Ryan Sullivan
    I would say "no" for roughly 90% of homes. However, I just saw gold fixtures on a Portoro black marble vanity in a home that was built in the 20's and it fit very well.
  • dcer
    No, not really, but it is more a matter of personal taste.
  • Leigh Durand
    Yes! Not the shiny brass of the 80s ... more antiqued and soft.
  • Rio Brewster
    sullies is right. There are situations when it will work - particularly if it's an ornate or vintage look. But will it be as ubiquitous as satin nickel any time soon? Probably not.
    Cynthia Taylor-Luce
    I've just seen the spring 2013 collection of Fabricut fabrics (a sneak preview from the Canadian rep) and definitely metallic gold is being used to accent the silvery greys which are currently so popular (and continuing for the next few years). Fabricut prides itself as being right on the cutting edge of fashion and decor, so if they are featuring it for 2013, then you can be sure it will be filtering through other manufacturers for a few years to come. Maybe you're having trouble with it because it's so "new"? Have a look at lighting manufacturers and see how the gold and warm bronze tones are coming back in a big way. Mirrors too...
  • lauralyons20
    House Beautiful just listed Brass as one of their Spring 2013 new obsessions. Houzz also posted an article on their home page titled "Brass is Back" and it was also featured in Elle Home! I think it can be really pretty if done right. I love William Sonoma's brass pendants, people pay extra to have brass accents on their viking stoves and kohler has new amazing brass fixtures. I stand by my first response.
  • Laurie Welischar Duca

I'm all in on the aged brass look! It's the perfect compliment for the Steampunk warm industrial style that is in right now. I love mixing it up with aged steel.

It's now 2015, 3 years after this dilemma was first posted and we're seeing more and more gold tones. I'm not ready yet to see chrome go away, but I know the gold finishes are increasingly popular.

• Laurie Welischar Duca

I think there is room for both (and in the same house). That's what I love the most about todays design style :-).

Cynthia Taylor-Luce

At the furniture show at High Point this spring, it was almost impossible to see any silver. Everything was gold gold gold... and some copper. These are huge in lighting and accessories and hardware and furniture. The good thing is that you can mix metals so adding several gold pieces to a room is going to instantly update it.

That's good to know, Cynthia, and good advice, too, on how to update a room by adding gold.

Cynthia Taylor-Luce

Thank you Carolyn. Long time no see! Hope all is well with you. I'm certainly one of your admirers and always appreciate your comments.

It's always a joy, Cynthia, to read your wise views, and good to be in touch again! Life is going very well, with travels to visit grandchildren, etc. I was lucky enough to tour the San Francisco Showhouse last month and to see the beautiful Kneedler-Fauchere showroom at the Galleria in SF. When I was designing in Hawaii, San Francisco was the closest big design source and it's always a pleasure to get back there.

Laura S. Nine, ASID
    High Point Market last Fall