Your shopping cart is empty.

Would You Rather: Gazebo or Pergola?

Admirals Bank
April 2, 2014
Now that spring is well underway, you may soon be spending more time in your backyard. Whether you're relaxing in a gazebo or out planting near a pergola, both structures add a distinct sense of satisfaction.

Which choice would you prefer to go with?

Vote and share with us in the Comments below! (Pictures are encouraged.)
Neither, I like a different structure

Comments (22)

• PRO
    American Barn and Wood
    A pergola made from barn wood is always nice.
  • Admirals Bank
    @American Barn and Wood: Very nice indeed!
  • PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    Pergola anytime, my french side here !
  • Admirals Bank
    @Studio NOO Design: Always a great choice!
  • krf9
    Pergola. I adore the one in the poll, with the slats overhead so you still get shade. It feels more casual, and blends in better with the surroundings. A gazebo seems to stick out, and be its own focal point.
  • victorianbungalowranch
    Not spring yet up north. Like both, but in bad weather it is nice to have a roof.
  • Admirals Bank
    @krf9: Thank you, there was quite a variety to choose from. Yes, sometimes a pergola can complement the space a little better, depending on the area.

@victorianbungalowranch: We're planted up north, too.. just waiting on that weather to budge!
  • andj32
    Gazebo, more shade and much prettier in the right setting.
  • Admirals Bank
    @andj32: Great choice, too.. it can come in handy on those hot summer days.
  • te5745
    Depends upon setting. For a dining area- pergola. For an intimate get away - gazebo.
  • Admirals Bank
    @te5745: Absolutely, the area is important. We like your thinking!
  • rredpenn
    We have one of these that "came with the house" in the woodsy backyard. I think it looks totally out of place and frumpy. My otherhalf calls it The Jellyfish. :) Free to good home! I'd much rather have a screened in porch, or a fire pit, actually.
  • PRO
    Amish Country Gazebos
    Definitely a gazebo!!!
  • Admirals Bank
    @rredpenn: "Jellyfish" suits that structure very well!

@Amish Country Gazebos: Thanks for the photos! We're going to go out on a limb here and say that you're Team Gazebo.
  • PRO
    Amish Country Gazebos
    @Admirals Bank: you know it! ;-)
  • decoenthusiaste
    Screened porch.
  • PRO
    MantelsDirect.com
    Either way, be sure to add an outdoor fireplace so you have somewhere to congregate around! http://www.mantelsdirect.com/Outdoor-Fireplace-Kits
  • Admirals Bank
    @decoenthusiaste: Screened porches are great, too!

@MantelsDirect.com: Now there's a good idea, especially for those cooler nights.
  • PRO
    Land Art Design, Inc.
    We're finding a greater demand for pergolas, perhaps because they enhance spaces where our clients already gather unlike gazebos that are often designed as separate destinations. Here are two of our recent projects.
  • Katie Gooding
    On a side note, if you live in the south where it's super buggy I recently read about screening a pergola...
  • Admirals Bank
    @Land Art Design, Inc.: Thanks for sharing the photos, they look great!

@Katie Gooding: Another helpful suggestion.. that could come in handy up north here too!
  • decoenthusiaste
    Yes, we screen gazebos in the south but you can be eaten alive walking from the house across the lawn to the gazebo.

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun).