0

Would You Rather: Gazebo or Pergola?

Admirals Bank
April 2, 2014
Now that spring is well underway, you may soon be spending more time in your backyard. Whether you're relaxing in a gazebo or out planting near a pergola, both structures add a distinct sense of satisfaction.

Which choice would you prefer to go with?

Vote and share with us in the Comments below! (Pictures are encouraged.)
Neither, I like a different structure

American Barn and Wood
    A pergola made from barn wood is always nice.
  • Admirals Bank
    @American Barn and Wood: Very nice indeed!
    Studio NOO Design
    Pergola anytime, my french side here !
  • Admirals Bank
    @Studio NOO Design: Always a great choice!
  • krf9
    Pergola. I adore the one in the poll, with the slats overhead so you still get shade. It feels more casual, and blends in better with the surroundings. A gazebo seems to stick out, and be its own focal point.
  • victorianbungalowranch
    Not spring yet up north. Like both, but in bad weather it is nice to have a roof.
  • Admirals Bank
    @krf9: Thank you, there was quite a variety to choose from. Yes, sometimes a pergola can complement the space a little better, depending on the area.

@victorianbungalowranch: We're planted up north, too.. just waiting on that weather to budge!
  • andj32
    Gazebo, more shade and much prettier in the right setting.
  • Admirals Bank
    @andj32: Great choice, too.. it can come in handy on those hot summer days.
  • te5745
    Depends upon setting. For a dining area- pergola. For an intimate get away - gazebo.
  • Admirals Bank
    @te5745: Absolutely, the area is important. We like your thinking!
  • rredpenn
    We have one of these that "came with the house" in the woodsy backyard. I think it looks totally out of place and frumpy. My otherhalf calls it The Jellyfish. :) Free to good home! I'd much rather have a screened in porch, or a fire pit, actually.
    Amish Country Gazebos
    Definitely a gazebo!!!
  • Admirals Bank
    @rredpenn: "Jellyfish" suits that structure very well!

@Amish Country Gazebos: Thanks for the photos! We're going to go out on a limb here and say that you're Team Gazebo.
    Amish Country Gazebos
    @Admirals Bank: you know it! ;-)
  • decoenthusiaste
    Screened porch.
    MantelsDirect.com
    Either way, be sure to add an outdoor fireplace so you have somewhere to congregate around! http://www.mantelsdirect.com/Outdoor-Fireplace-Kits
  • Admirals Bank
    @decoenthusiaste: Screened porches are great, too!

@MantelsDirect.com: Now there's a good idea, especially for those cooler nights.
    Land Art Design, Inc.
    We're finding a greater demand for pergolas, perhaps because they enhance spaces where our clients already gather unlike gazebos that are often designed as separate destinations. Here are two of our recent projects.
  • Katie Gooding
    On a side note, if you live in the south where it's super buggy I recently read about screening a pergola...
  • Admirals Bank
    @Land Art Design, Inc.: Thanks for sharing the photos, they look great!

@Katie Gooding: Another helpful suggestion.. that could come in handy up north here too!
  • decoenthusiaste
    Yes, we screen gazebos in the south but you can be eaten alive walking from the house across the lawn to the gazebo.