Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rparteesims

Help me transform this into something beautiful, yet hip!

rparteesims
10 years ago
I fell in love with this piece of furniture the moment I saw it. I purchased it from a reuse store. It looks like it might have come out of some fancy 1980's kitchen. I has 3 rows of 7 drawers. The drawer fronts are clear and removable. Oh, it also has NO top, yet. I plan to use it for a TV console and for storage in a den. The den has dark wood floors and pale green walls and one brown couch. The room has lots of natural light.

So what do you think? What material should I use for the top? Should I paint or stain it? I love the idea of painting the insides of the drawers a different color so that they pop. I am also toying with the idea of using decorative decals on the front of some of the drawers Thoughts? I am so anxious to get started on this project. I am open to any and all color/design ideas.

Comments (17)

• rparteesims
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thoughts, folks?
  • rparteesims
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    ?
  • raineycarole
    10 years ago
    Can you show us a photo of the room it will go in?
    rparteesims thanked raineycarole
  • User
    10 years ago
    I'd do a laminate top with a metal border. Look at Wilsonart's web site. Definitely keep the rest simple, no decals and don't paint the interior until you decide what's going in each drawer.
    rparteesims thanked User
  • Angel 18432
    10 years ago
    I would leave it the way it is (with new top of course). Maybe stained wood. If you don't like seeing what's in the drawers, maybe put dark film on the inside.
    rparteesims thanked Angel 18432
  • rparteesims
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    raineycarole: This is a not so great pic of the room. it is still undergoing construction, but you can get an idea of the colors. Please dont consider the color of the woodwork around the AC unit when commenting on possible colors for the cabinet, because I am not sure if that woodwork is going to stay or go. I am thinking that a lighter (not wood) type of color may work best so as not to have the cabinet overpower the room. I am also trying to figure out a good accent color to go with the scheme. I would love to hear any additional ideas
  • rparteesims
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I like all of the ideas, but really want to consider painting the wood a different color also. Anyone in support of that? (I know painting wood can be taboo), If so, color recommendations?
  • PRO
    becca rea
    10 years ago
    Paint it. Maybe white
  • PRO
    Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
    10 years ago
    This appears to be three cabinets which have been joined. It also looks as if it was a display piece of some kind. Here are some thoughts. A Brown stone or Corian top. Slate or other stone which will bring in some brown. For the components of your entertainment equipment, place them randomly so they're seen behind the glass drawer fronts. For the remaining drawers cut foam core board to the same shape as the drawer fronts. Color copy some album covers off the internet. Use good quality photo paper. Cut these up and assemble them like a collage and spray glue to the white foam core board. Place the boards facing out behind the glass of each drawer.
    rparteesims thanked Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
  • fredm51
    10 years ago
    I like it, think you could do a lot with it. I would lower it a little, put on a marble top. Make a slightly curved top and mount the cabinet and tv on the wall to the left.
    rparteesims thanked fredm51
  • Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
    10 years ago
    I like the idea of a uniform pattern or paper behind the clear front panels so the contents of the drawers are hidden. Don't paint the wood--install a black top.
    rparteesims thanked Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
  • raineycarole
    10 years ago
    If you really want to paint it, first find a fabric you love that will match the walls. Pull a second, complimentary color out of the fabric for painting your new piece of furniture.
    rparteesims thanked raineycarole
  • rparteesims
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Jeffrey: it is definitely one piece, not three joined cabinets. I agree that it looks like a display cabinet (which is what I originally thought), but was told that it came out of a kitchen. Great minds think alike, as I had planned to use the top row of cabinets to display entertainment components. I also really love your idea about using album covers. This multipurpose room will be used as a den, a mini art studio of sorts and a room for my husband to practice his guitar and hold rehearsals from time to time. So the album tie-in is right on target. I will certainly give that lots of consideration!
  • rparteesims
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    fred: I was also thinking that it might look nicer if it had one less row of drawers. I would have no idea as to how to go about doing that, though.
  • fredm51
    10 years ago
    I looked for some modern media storage but your piece was way pass what they offered. I was thinking of about 1/2 the height it is now, with a custom top and side of maybe Walnut or Tigerwood. The Walnut or tigerwood would be like a upside down U supporting it your cabinet off the floor. You have enough to make 2 if you like. Now I know this is beyond your skill level to do this but If you can find a woodworking store in you area like Rocklers or woodsmith or any other woodworking store They will have the wood and know people that do cabinet making. Woodworkers are much different that carpenters you will see this if you go to the store. Ask the person behind the counter if he know someone that does a lot of cabinetmaking, most of the people working there are woodworkers and teach woodworking. They cant do it there in the store but they know the best craftsmen in the city. I would start there, I think this piece could turn out to be something great. Do not paint it!
    rparteesims thanked fredm51
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    I would say not to put decorative decals on the front of the drawers and not to paint the inside of the drawers.

You can buy long flat boards that are fairly thin at a big box store. It's not lumber but actual boards that would work well as a top.

Don't think painting the wood is the best idea. If you want to paint the top a color that would be ok.. Don't screw it up.
    rparteesims thanked leelee