Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eekolb

To paint...or not to paint

Eddie Kolb
10 years ago
Our den has raised paneling and we want to replace the existing carpet with hardwood floors. Should we paint the walls. I'm sure it will lighten the room up (which it badly needs) but I'm not sure if that's the right decision in terms of resale. One follow-up question: we want to add crown moulding and trim out the bookcases, maybe adding cabinets to the lower third. Would it be a bad idea to tear out some shelves so I can install my tv...or is that also sacrificing resale value for personal taste and needs?

Comments (36)

• PRO
    The Maine Building Company
    10 years ago
    Although I seldom advocate painting perfectly good wood, in your case you certainly have a lot of it! When you add hardwood floors to the mix, it is something to consider for sure.
    You may want to take a look at painting the backs of the bookcases a light color. That will lighten the room, and highlight the shelves. You could also consider painting the raised panels, or the frame around the raised panels to lighten and highlight things as well.
    Adding doors to the lower section of the bookcases makes sense to me, will give you some closed storage, and will give you another opportunity to add some contrast to the dark cabinets.
    There are a number of options for a TV location. It can "live" behind closed(self storing) doors with a retractable mounting hardware, and only be viewable when you want to watch tv.
    That's my two cents worth.
  • sandkshouse
    10 years ago
    Normally, I am not opposed to painting wood. However, my gut reaction on this is to not paint it. It looks like the entire room is wood paneling. If it were just the bookcases or just the mantel or just trim, I'd say "go for it." But I am afraid, and I'll probably step on some toes here, that an entire room of painted wood paneling is going to look cheap. So while it would be more expensive, I think a better solution would be to replace the paneling with drywall. As far as the TV goes, it makes sense to remove a shelf, just save the shelf so it could be reinstalled in the future if you wish.
    Eddie Kolb thanked sandkshouse
  • Eddie Kolb
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for the feedback. The room itself has beautiful raised paneling but they cheaped-out when they did the bookcases...which is why we were considering adding trim and crown to bring them up-to-par and why I didn't have a lot of anxiety about knocking them down to accommodate my tv! We've done everything we can to bring light into that room, including knocking out a wall, but it still isn't enough. We've shied away from painting "perfectly good wood" for years but it may be time to bite the bullet. I do see the paneling as a value-add to my house so I'm hesitant to paint the walls or reconfigure the bookcases to fit my needs, if it means diminishing the resale value.
  • Bill Yockey
    10 years ago
    sigh, if I had this room i would be in happy...please don't paint the wood.
    Eddie Kolb thanked Bill Yockey
  • User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Bill Yockey- of course you would not paint and be *happy*... YOU ARE A MAN... studies show that most females make the decision when purchasing a house.... PAINT or drywall like sandkshouse suggested;)
    Eddie Kolb thanked User
  • PRO
    Gray & Walter, Ltd.
    10 years ago
    Wood floors, yes! Don't rip out bookcases for potential buyers, they can do that down the road. I like the wood as is in terms of color. However, if the consensus is to lighten it you could paint obviously. You could also consider pickling, or lightening the stain, this can be complicated and expensive. Good luck, it's a big decision!
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    10 years ago
    How about leaving the fireplace and the walls as they are and removing the bookcases? They are not the same quality as the rest of the room.
    Eddie Kolb thanked saratogaswizzlestick
  • PRO
    Gray & Walter, Ltd.
    10 years ago
    See above comment.
    Eddie Kolb thanked Gray & Walter, Ltd.
  • sally78
    10 years ago
    I see you have conflicting advice… I'm a "don't paint." The wood is "too good." Use other decorating tricks to balance the darkness and create harmony.

In the end, follow your own heart and eye. Make yourself happy, whatever advice you receive.

Happy Decorating!
    Eddie Kolb thanked sally78
  • Snaggy
    10 years ago
    Paint the book cases they look like crappy wood ...leave the fire place alone !
  • Brandi
    10 years ago
    I think it's beautiful, adding the cabinet doors and crown molding would really finish it up. I like the idea of painting the back of the book cases. Whatever you decide I'm sure it will look beautiful. Good luck!
  • c3ryan
    10 years ago
    Hi Eddie. My fireplace area is similar to yours. I am planning to paint mine and replace the carpet with hardwood. My inspiration for this transformation comes from House of Fifty Blog. Here is the link with lots of pictures that helped me make my decision. Good Luck! http://blog.houseoffifty.com/search/label/Painting%20Cabinetry
  • Eddie Kolb
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks, Snaggy. I considered painting the crappy bookcases but was concerned that it would just attract more attention to their crappy-ness. :)
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Are you selling in the next 5 years? If not, then please yourselves, not some fantasy buyer down the road. Personally, I think the bookcases are detracting from the FP and raised panel. Can't see all of the room, but I'd be inclined to work up that entire wall with a raised panel effect, setting the TV on a credenza left or right of the FP. This will give you a nice focal wall whether you paint or stain. Then I'd paint the rest of the walls. For a big improvement either way, I'd upgrade the white firebox surround to a warm new surface material.
    Staircases · More Info

Traditional Living Room · More Info
    Connecticut Estate · More Info
    Eddie Kolb thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Eddie Kolb
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Adding hardwood floors to the mix won't make it feel like a big brown, wood box? If the room was used as a study or office, I would be more inclined to leave the natural wood but, as is, the room isn't very "livable" and is, in fact, a little heavy and depressing.

How do you feel about tv's mounted above the fireplace?
  • reggiesmall
    10 years ago
    Beautiful room!

I agree that adding molding, detailing and doors is a good investment. We know that having practical storage always earns points with buyers. I would have to say that I'd hide the tv in one of those lower cabinets and not ruin the symmetry of the shelving. I can't tell if it's crappy or not but doesn't look it to me (especially with the moulding and items actually on the shelves.)

How about installing your hardwood, adding finishing touches, perhaps an elegant Persian in lighter tones, bring in lighter accents for the shelves, hang art on top of the paneling above the sofa in lighter tones, of course, make sure you have enough lamps all around the room, and see how it looks.

If you still feel it's too dark, you can always paint the shelves then. You might regret it if you do it off the cuff without even giving the room a chance to charm you, once fully decorated.

Good luck.
    Eddie Kolb thanked reggiesmall
  • Eddie Kolb
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    What "warm, new surface material" do you suggest. Currently it's marble tiles.
  • Eddie Kolb
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks y'all. I'm getting lots of good ideas!
  • Eddie Kolb
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I never realized the discolored tile until I took these pictures! Now I need to address the fireplace surround as well. sigh.
  • PRO
    Stylish Window Treatments
    10 years ago
    I believe painting the wood would ruin its origniality. in many cases, brushing it and then adding a gloss to it will bring it back to new. If that still feels a bit plain, Like the above comment states; adding a light backing of wallpaper or something can give it a brighter feel and newer look.
    Eddie Kolb thanked Stylish Window Treatments
  • Eddie Kolb
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I think I'll try painting out the back of the bookcases in a light/neutral color, add some stained trim and crown moulding to finish the room out a bit, and see how that looks. If, as another poster suggested, it still looks dark after adding rugs, fabrics, lighting mad accessories, I can always paint it then.

I think I'm leaning toward lowering the mantle and mounting the tv above it instead of reconfiguring the shelves.

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions!
  • PRO
    Budget My Build
    10 years ago
    When the time comes to put in the wood floors, you may find our blog helpful. It has some good information about how to choose the right wood for your area. http://budgetmybuild.co/flooring/a-look-at-wood-floors/
    Eddie Kolb thanked Budget My Build
  • Brian
    10 years ago
    Ok, here goes...you don't like the cheap shelves...me neither...so tear them out!, drywall and paint walls there, buy a nice piece of furniture to put your TV on, and then a nice light hardwood on the floor and all will look great!

Oh, and don't paint them before you tear them out, that would be akin to the famous Texas Aggie assembly language instruction: 'add 1 and divide by zero' :-0
  • User
    10 years ago
    Painting a paneled library/den doesn't mean just white, there are many other wonderful colors to give the room presence and personality.
    Two Room Addition · More Info

Botkier residence · More Info

Oakton Residence · More Info

Pine Library · More Info
  • kranno
    10 years ago
    I would definitely paint it a lighter color. A white tone would lighten things up and make the room more cheerful.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    10 years ago
    not to paint in my eye anyway. that wood is beautiful and can be softened by the furniture and rugs....
  • facentet
    10 years ago
    Mirror the backs and add glass shelves
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    I think you have a nice, quiet looking fireplace and shelves... I would not paint these. Do you have lots of books and articles that would add interest? Some focal points do not have to look like the ultimate "house beautiful". Reality, your space looks nice and comfortable...
  • Denita
    10 years ago
    Don't move the mantel down and put the TV above the FP. Decoenthusiaste has the right idea by removing the inferior wood of the bookcases and putting in the same quality wood as your FP has now as a raised panel effect with a credenza for the TV to the left or right of the FP. Or if you prefer, just remove the bookcases entirely and repair and paint the drywall. Keep your FP the way it is, it is wonderful.

One of the things you said is: the room seems "depressing" to you - get rid of bookcases if it doesn't work for you or your state of mind when you are in the room. That is what is important. Rooms are suppose to make you feel better when you are in them. :)
  • thiskidd
    9 years ago
    I would leave the whole fireplace wall and bookcase the natural wood. It is a warm, inviting, and beautiful focus. I'd suggest painting the other walls in the room. It would be nice to see at least two more pictures that capture all walls/windows. You maybe be able to add accent lighting that would help brighten the room and adds value.
  • PRO
    Sound Painting Solutions, LLC
    9 years ago
    Normally I don't recommend painting natural wood. In this case I would paint them.

Good luck:)
  • miacometlady
    9 years ago
    Clean the wood and then apply Old English scratch cover. Polish.
  • Barbara Diamond
    9 years ago
    Bluenan is on to something. Paint the wall either cream white or a rich green or teal blue
  • lynwjones
    8 years ago
    What about wall paper in the back of the bookcases? A geometric or ivy. It lightens a room, and is not permanent, you can tape or staple it up.
  • Debbie Jackson
    8 years ago
    What about recessed lighting?