Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ready2sail

need help with kitchen, family room, and a new enclosed porch.

ready2sail
10 years ago
I do not have photos yet, but here is my dilemma: First I live in a middle income area, so cannot spend too much money. my house is very pretty. (1) I am converting a single car garage to a livable space, that walks into the laundry room, then kitchen, and then onto family room. This room needs to be versatile. I will use it as an adorable office, with small sofa and built in closets. If I sale the house, it will have to be a spare bedroom. The problem is whether to put an entrance door to this room, or redo the kitchen. The washer and dryer are in a connecting room (8x10) laundry room, but now that the garage door has been removed from room described in item #1 above, the only way to get washer and dryer in the laundry room is to make the door wider at the kitchen entrance, which means that the entire kitchen will need to be remodeled because the stove fits exactly in the area where the door needs to be widened.
(2) if I remodel the kitchen should I use the 20x22 family room as part of the remodeling? The kitchen has a large opening over the sink and looks into the family room. If I remove the existing counter top and make it flat across the top (spreading from the kitchen into the family room, then I will need to add a new header beam because i is a load bearing wall. In addition, I need to open up the cathedral ceiling in the family room.
(3) if I remodel the kitchen and decide not to infringe on the space in the family room, then I will need to take some of the livable space from room in item #1 because I would need to move the stove over to a wall where all of my pretty dishes are displayed. This wall would be used for stove, vent, and ref rig.

In addition, I would like to have a new enclosed porch built so we can walk outside from the family room, the dining room, and my bedroom. Any ideas? Thanks, Brenda