Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathy_onarheim

Design my Living Room! Walls-what color? What Accent Color? Tweaks?

Kathy Onarheim
10 years ago
We have a great room/dining room used as a sitting room/foyer open concept. Just began getting new furniture for the great room and need help with changing the wall color that was there when we moved in.
Currently it is a brown tone gold. The sitting room is a dark barn red, the kitchen can be seen from the rooms and shares a wall with the great room - it is a blue toned avacado green. The kitchen will not get changed - we like it and have finished back splash etc. The gold needs to change and the red can stay or change. Pictures show the newer furniture- sorry no staging - just fast shots on a whim.

The end tables and coffee table were added from shopping our own house - any suggestions there are appreciated as well - ideas?. The arrangement is open for suggestions. Mantle and entertainment center are fixed - and can't be moved.

I am looking for a pattern fabric to add to the drapes as 6 inch borders down each side - haven't figure out a good accent color for the room yet. I like the burlap for texture and how it goes with the furniture.

I would like to go brighter/lighter, but not afraid of deep tones. I also don't want to go to monochromatic either. The room gets light - but indirect - no direct sunlight.

We will not paint the maple woodwork. It will stay natural. Art will remain as well.

HELP!!!

Comments (51)

• Kathy Onarheim
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you. I will look for those color samples. We have a longer coffee table that is part of the end table set...but it is a set of three and not sure if matchu match is right at this time? May bring it from the basement and try the scale tho..thanks. Husband is attached to current coffee table, as am I, just not in this room right now.
  • whattahouse
    10 years ago
    I agree with Chroma Interiors re the wall color - a soft clay (on the warm side) or taupe wall would be nice. You also have too much wood tone with the French doors, the stair rail, mantle, and the cocktail & end table between the chairs look dated. Everything is all the same color. Maybe shop for a new larger cocktail table in a dark metal with a glass top? And an accent table for in between the chairs? Also consider a new table lamp with a traditional shape but in a pewter or metallic finish. You need something that is shiny and reflects light. The room is very nice just overall too much matte finish. Also -and forgive me as I do love pets - the pet bed under the occasional table just makes it look cluttered. Also consider one or 2 decorative items on the new cocktail table rather than a laptop and papers.
  • Kathy Onarheim
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Whattahouse,..Thanks for input...this is just a start, building from the upholstered furniture and entertainment center. .all good comments, dog bed was out from puppy sitting...not part of room, although the orange could look like it was intended. Should have probably straightened up before pics taken... Have not gotten to accessories yet, laptop and papers from working from home for the morning....not a fixture. Looking for tables, you suggestions are helpful. Moved these in as the other dated cherry colonial tables were REALLY obnoxious. These are dated, actually got a good offer on them. 1963 Lane tables in excellent condition...mid century modern room would be lucky to have them.. Just there until finding the right effect.

The notice of wood tones is helpful we tend to like wood, but it does seem like too much.. Lamps...good notice as well and confirms that I want new ones. The room doesn't make me run and scream, but it is still not what it could or should be, nod after many years of just settling, I do want work on making it look good, not just okay and functional.
  • Kathy Onarheim
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Chroma Interiors...looked up the two paints....wow, I would not have gone that way on my own. Usually lean towards warmer tones by default. Definitely will put them on the color test or list to see how they feel with the other rooms and features. Thanks!
  • whattahouse
    10 years ago
    Kathy: opposites attract sometimes even in decor. Your room is full of warm tones which is nice and homey. But a cool toned wall might be a big part of the solution. Plus paint is easily replaced, right? Also I didn't intend to imply your room was messy! It's a house you live there. It's all part of life. I just wasn't sure if the items were there all the time. Anyway yes if you do shop for tables check out various finishes before you buy. I love classic traditional cherry but we got a bronze metal cocktail table with a glass top and nailhead trim and it works. The best part is its so easy to keep clean. I ended up dumping the kitchen table too in favor of metal and glass. So much easier. And adds a nice look. My house is NOT perfect though -a moving target depending on my changing tastes! Also Many furniture stores now will offer free design services so take a pic or two with you.
    Kathy Onarheim thanked whattahouse
  • whattahouse
    10 years ago
    Would you consider refraining the art piece on the wall over the stair? A different frame might help too. Non-wood. Black, or metallic - with a nice mat. Expensive usually but usually always makes a huge difference.
  • whattahouse
    10 years ago
    I meant "reframing" not "refraining" the art piece. Not good on the iPad keyboard!
  • Kathy Onarheim
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Whattahouse, not offended by your observations. Was trying to express your input is helpful and to let you know it is all open for improvement and change except the entertainment center (built by my dad before he passed away) and the upholstered pieces. All else is just there because we need something for now and it was the least objectionable on hand without investment until we find what is right, posted here to get the opinions. And push out of our usual path, and for those who have no personal connection and tell me what they think I like. :-) the opposites attract is a good reminder. Love the idea of something easier to clean too! Art reframed over the stairs a possibility or depending on cost maybe a new original. :-) the one over the mantel will stay, has special meaning.
  • whattahouse
    10 years ago
    I have reframed 4 pieces over the past year -three at home and one at work and all of the reframings made a huge difference. Look for sales or specials at your local art supply stores (Aaron Bros)? I love the leaded glass over your doorways. So pretty. Post a pic after you are done - would love to see your changes! Good luck!
  • Lainie D'Eon
    10 years ago
    Great home!!!Love all the above suggestions, just found this site , so helpful. I think we are able to take a a more objective view of other people's home's than our own. May I suggest taking the ornaments off the top of the entertainment center & replacing with a piece of wall art/sculpture on the wall directly over the TV. If possible you could push your sofa back a bit to the edge of the carpet & back it with a sofa table (where you could display some treasures), if this still allows for traffic flow. Don't know if you are into house plants but a nice fern or some low light plant would be great on the floor to the left side of your entertainment center (hallway side). Would love to see your finished product, but how would I find this post again?
    Kathy Onarheim thanked Lainie D'Eon
  • Kathy Onarheim
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Once you post you have settings that will notify you of an update. Looked for lamps today, nothing brought home. Found some fabric that might work for giving some color to the burlap and found a throw. Convincing husband the walls HAVE to be changed. :-) the gold color goes from foyer, in great room, down stairway and full hallway in basement and one wall in kitchen! Pondering the clay color and then changing the red to a darker hue in the same tone. Both rooms have green and blue, with brown in the furniture.. A work in progress and a budget!
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    Kathy Onarheim thanked groveraxle
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
  • Kathy Onarheim
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    How'd you do that? :-). Brightens it up. The red has to go in the other room. Perhaps a deeper color yet?
  • Kathy Onarheim
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Groveraxle - tried to find the colors you used.......do you remember?
    Found the SW Tool - almost forgot to go to bed last night!!! :-)

I came up with Weathered Shingle pics 1 and 2. And then a Taupe.

Too mono? Want some contrast - but also so that it isn't too harsh with the adjoining rooms.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    The immovable objects for me would be the huge columns. Consider a greige that pulls on those tones. https://www.houzz.com/magazine/going-greige-tips-for-choosing-this-all-around-neutral-stsetivw-vs~577375
    Kathy Onarheim thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Kathy Onarheim
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The columns have gold and warm tones...which is why I think the previous owner went with the gold? I like the greige in your picture between the curtains.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    Kathy, I don't have any color names. I simply manipulate the hue and saturation and intensity that's there till I find something I think works. The SW visualizer did a good job and, of the three you did, I like the third one best. It's still no substitute for painting samples and looking at them in the actual room in the actual light. There's only so much that can be done virtually.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    That is an entire ideabook on greige if you'll open it up. Greige comes in various tones, so you have options. I definitely think I'd play with the idea.
  • Kathy Onarheim
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes - I have been, many tones of greige. Trying to narrow down to 3 or less so I can get some test cans.
    Finding ones I like - until I have to have it go into the one wall of the kitchen above the sink and cabinets....the other kitchen walls are a blue toned dark avacado.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Test with a 12" square of color painted in the center of white poster board. The surrounding white will keep your current colors from distorting the ones you're testing, and the posters can be moved around to see how they look in different light on different walls.
    Kathy Onarheim thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Kathy Onarheim
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I have found that using the pizza boxes from our local pizzeria make great large paint chips - your suggestion to leave the white border makes sense - I hadn't done that in the past. I am stymied by the size of this room and how much of our living space it covers because of the open concept sharing a wall in the kitchen and going to the lower level- if this was a normal room I would be painting already! Estimate for paint coverage is 7 gallons one coat!
    We have become accustomed to the warm and dark, crave the light and bright - but apprehensive about the dramatic change in such a large area and feeling cold. Testors hopefully this week.
  • PRO
    Hummingbird Designs
    10 years ago
    I can't tell the colour of the chair ... Is it blue? Here are a few options.
  • Kathy Onarheim
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Fabric Swatches from Manufacturer and leather chair. The leather chair is a little more neutral in person - and is blue based more than yellow.
  • Kathy Onarheim
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Narrowed down to 2 colors, 2 tones of each to go get test cans...Folowing suggestiosn of cool neutral. Sherwin Williams Accessible Beige and Balanced Beige, Macadamia and Basket Beige. This may turn the red room into a project going with a darker shade on the color swatch to color block the area and go with the more jewel tones of that rooms furniture.

NOW - need color for accents and to liven up the room. Blues and Greens? Browns?

Best way to do it would be to find some pop to create window treatments - but that may come after the room is painted....the current solution was replacing the former striped jewel tone drape panels with texture- burlap. Only cost me $25 and a day of time - but easily replaced because of that. Do not want to spend hundreds of dollars on drapes - Need 4 panels - so either splurge and use color and pattern with burlap or find something that will work. I have done the borders, second small panel, 24inches at top or bottom route before (see kitchen pic)

Working on how to replace end tables with possibly metal or other more rustic or different surface to eliminate a wood. Lamps - definitely!! and still looking. Ideas welcome (and budget minded)
  • Kathy Onarheim
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Have chosen Sherwin Williams Accessible Beige after using large paint sample boards throughout the room at different times of day. Missed the paint sale by two days - but know another will happen. Floors are being resurfaced in 2 weeks - so paint will go on in mid May.

Quest for window treatment to add some contrast and color. Will post updated pics in May/June as work progresses.

Still very open to suggestions and product ideas for windows, lamps and tables. Here is a pic of a table that I thought might look good between the chairs if I could find something similar? Metal - glass - character?
  • alwaysdesigning
    10 years ago
    Try Ballard design online; they always seem to have great styles and unique products. Order a free catalog. I love your wall color choice. Also, try BlindsGalore online (free samples!) for some window treatment options. I have started getting their custom products installed in our new house and am extremely pleased. Good luck.
    Kathy Onarheim thanked alwaysdesigning
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    I think the Accessible Beige is going to be a great choice for the room, And I really like the side table you posted above. It's substantial enough for those chairs, but the glass lightens it and the spoke design makes it interesting.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    This is as close as I could get to Accessible Beige, plus I had to adjust for lighting so the color could be way off. I lowered your art over the mantel, and removed everything else. Let the art star; if you put anything else on the mantel, it might be three slim candlesticks that are at between 1/3 and 2/3 as tall as the art.

A selection of curtains for you to consider:
  • Kathy Onarheim
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Good choices for me to start searching! I always seem to gravitate towards multi color and this helps stretch thinking to two colors/pattern as the driver. Liking the geometrics on the left - the floral is striking and would give a more formal feel. Since it is a Living Rm that actually is the "living room" - no family room, the geo's seem to give some sophistication, but less formal? but yet that one still pulls me in - perhaps because of the deeper tone. And yes online vs real colors change dramatically. When I went to get real paint chips found the ones that looked good on my computer were totally off in the wrong direction. Thanks....I am inspired enough to not wait for the paint sale and begin now!
  • Kathy Onarheim
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Found this fabric for possible drapes. Is it too close to the chair pattern to look like I tried to match it and missed? Or does it pull out the right things?

Do I go with full pattern? Or border or horizontal blocks with the burlap?

The paint chip on the side reflected lighter and more gray than it looks in person. So want to start painting, but restraining- want some sort of sale on the paint - not full price. :-) Hopefully next week or I will give in! Need to paint before wood floors in foyer and behind couch are refinished first week in May.

Update on table replication - found a patina wheel - waiting for it to be delivered to see if it is as right as it looks online. Still looking for a stool or legs of some sort. Watching for another side table yet for next to sofa. Thinking lamps have to come after tables....
  • Kathy Onarheim
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    forgot image.... this is the only place the chair and drapes may be next to each other. The colors go well with the leather chairs, and seem to be okay with the sofa. The room is our living space - so needs to feel comfy and relaxed - but able to also act "grown up" when needed - so not overly formal.
  • Kathy Onarheim
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    What do you think? Still can order by Sunday....or do I keep looking? Drapes

In person - need to stay with more of a green or the green blue as the accent not the main color.
  • Kathy Onarheim
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @groveraxle...just noticed you hung the curtains higher...I had been considering....creates new things to think about.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    I think all those drapes compete too much with the chair. However, I just went back and looked at the burlap curtains you made, and I like them a lot. They'd look better raised closer to the ceiling, but you could just keep them till the perfect curtains show up.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    10 years ago
    i would do two tones in the sage family. a darker one on the staircase wall, and carry that into the dining room. and a lighter color on the others. i would also get an arch lamp, a new table lamp, pulling that teal color chair in that way. i wold also get a mix of pillows. some to connect with the wood tones, some to connect with the teal...
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    10 years ago
    i agree with glover, those curtains are too busy with that chair. if you want pattern, go with stripes..
    Kathy Onarheim thanked flair lighting
  • Kathy Onarheim
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @ flair lighting - Wow! Very nice. Lots to take in here. Thank you.
  • Kathy Onarheim
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @groveraxle- that was the plan to start - use the burlap at that height until the right ones came along......and hope it wasn't years!

I could also do a 16inch or 24inch block at the top of the burlap with the busier fabric giving it some distance from the chair and other things and add the height. Still an inexpensive fill in until the right thing comes along....
  • Kathy Onarheim
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Painting done. Curtains boarded, adds a rug from another room to ground the sofa and coffee table. Got a wheel and glass, possible base for constructing the table. Possible lamp n it's way....making progress. Wood floors in foyer, dining, kitchen hallway to be refinished next week so 10 days of everything piled n the room and not able t do anything.excuse the mess, this is an update not finished or set up.
  • Kathy Onarheim
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Wrong pic Fleece throw are out..sore and tired from painting and freezing here in Midwest
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    its 95 degrees in California today........i could use a breeze!!!!! front legs of sofa need to be on the rug..:)
    Kathy Onarheim thanked flair lighting
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Walls look great! Are you happy with the color? Give yourself a pat on the back for painting it yourself.
  • Libbmom
    9 years ago
    I would try the brown chair over by the fireplace and blue/green chair by the stairs...
    Kathy Onarheim thanked Libbmom
  • Kathy Onarheim
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Thanks for the fast feedback! I will take the 95 degrees and move the sofa onto the rug....still swapping and trying rugs so didn't commit yet, this one is least objectionable to what's on hand...so will be moved under

Yes, I am happy with the color, but it took getting more than halfway thru before I felt it. I now love it! Doing myself is normal, just first time with cathedral ceilings and so much...right tools help!

And yes...want to try the chair swap, working on family as the blue/ green is a swivel to Turn and look out the window at the meadow, woods, wetlands, and everyone loves that option...hence that chair started all of this. The brown is higher as well and blocks the view. The sofa used to be along the stairs , but room felt disconnected.

Will try and post the next iteration and cleaned up after the floors are done and things can go back in place.

Really appreciate the suggestions and feedback...so much better than talking to myself!
  • Kathy Onarheim
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Chair and curtains
  • Lainie D'Eon
    9 years ago
    Very nice with the walls of both rooms the same color!
  • Kathy Onarheim
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Update- still working....adjoining floors were refinished and hardwood in hallway installed. Still have wheel and glass end table project to complete and looking for some color accessories for coffee table, maybe another lamp etc. Tried swapping the brown and green chair as suggested, but the brown one is too large in scale and looked wrong by the window. The best place visually is where it is until it wears out and I can replace. :-).

Rug under sofa is okay and pulls the colors form the sofa in a quiet way - if the right rug shows up - I will replace. Working on some additional throw pillows of smaller size that pull in the border of the curtains. Adjoining red wall dining/morning room - the art will be lowered - it is hung from a previous higher cabinet that was there before. Will start putting some current things in storage and add color and detail as things are found.

Thanks to all of you I probably cut the time to do this down by 80%! Having the critical friend eye to suggest or contribute was very helpful and still is! Thank you again.
  • PRO
    Thrive Home Furnishings
    8 years ago

Take a look at our showroom pictures and ask to speak with Joe, he is fabulous at helping pull rooms together with accent pieces!

Joe Bush
    8110 Beverly Blvd., LA CA 90048
    Direct: 323.944.0230
    Office: 888.338.1445
    http://www.thrivefurniture.com/