Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zo_awi

Need help with my kitchen in my rental

Zo Awi
10 years ago
Hey guys,

I was given the ok to furnish the kitchen, make it more modern as they say.

I'm going to say my budget is around 500-800€

I have the plumber coming around on Monday to take a look at various issues in the apartment so any repair work that needs to be done regarding the pipes and the boiler should be repaid by the agency.

I'm not a very design orientated person and I have been on Houzz for a while and have been inspired to finally make my kitchen more efficient (and safe) for my family.
So anyone who has any experience in budget upgrades in Versailles, France can send me a message it would be great :)

Since I'm at my work pc at the moment I thought I would simply link the images from my drop box.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u9fx47cygmvpu2q/M45KZTIXPq

I didn't bother to tidy up for the photo taking; every time I do the issues arise where we just have no space and a lot of mess!

I will be looking to sell my washer and dryer to a friend who's moving apartments in July. Replacing it with a combo washer dryer and a more energy efficient one. It should save up a lot of space in the kitchen.

I want to get rid of the hob/oven appliance that's by the second door which leads to the hallway. We never use it so once the cooker hob is removed we plan to use that corner as a place for recycling/rubbish.

I also want to add a counter top to the side where the boiler is with a gas cooker plate so that the knobs are on top rather than on the side. Away from any 2 year old hands! Problem is, is that I don't know if it's possible to include an over the top vent thingy as most I know need a connection to the outside.

On top of that I want to install as much cabinetry on the fridge side of the kitchen so that everything isn't covered in grease when we cook. We cook a lot and the grease in the air means double washing the plates, appliances and cups that are on the open shelves.

Any design ideas are welcome and if there is someone in the area (easy to get to Versailles from Paris) that can help me with the process, please get in touch. Otherwise, I can try this on my own.

It's not worth investing in a complete remodel as it's only a rental. I just need to make the space efficient for my husband, myself and safe from our cat and 2 year old daughter!

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    Photos would be helpful.
  • Zo Awi
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    They're in the drop box link https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u9fx47cygmvpu2q/M45KZTIXPq for now
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10 years ago
    Do I take it you have two doors into your kitchen and you have condemned one?Paris is expensive. So perhaps IKEA or FLY or LeRoy Merlin will be your best bet.I will give this some more thought but if you could give me a rough sketch of measurements it would help (plus height of ceiling) thanks
    Zo Awi thanked ASVInteriors
  • Zo Awi
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Yes there is two doors. The main we use opens to the open space where we have our dining area and sitting area. The second leads to the hallway but we close it off as we would lose space should we have it functional.

The length from the wall on the sink side to the end of the table is 275cm and the area where the cooker is is 75cm so wall to wall is approximately 350cm.

The other side from fridge wall to door (going towards the window) is approximately 230cm.

The height is about 270cm,
  • Zo Awi
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks so much. I'm a little hesitant with Ikea as they seem cheap but can be quite expensive. I was advised to also check out castorama/conforama too.

I would love nothing more than to have the fridge on the other wall so that the sink cooker and fridge would be on one side. The issue is the taps that are behind the microwave and cutlery draw.

There are two taps and only one works so we have to keep switching between dishwasher and washer. Hopefully the plumber will be able to resolve the issue with the second tap. That being said I dont think these could be moved either :(

To install a Hotte (vent hood) does it need to be connected to the outside?
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    10 years ago
    Been using Ikea in my kitchen designs for years and they perform very well for a very good price.
  • Zo Awi
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I wouldn't mind just planning with Ikea but for a rental apartment - I'm not sure the investment is worth it since we may not be here in 5 years time. :S
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    10 years ago
    Ikea still the most cost effective in my mind.
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10 years ago
    Conforama doesn't have the same reputation as ikea. An easy solution is to go online to their kitchen planner. You can then add in your dimensions, build your kitchen and it will price your elements so you have The exact price. This will allow you to compare. You can see if it all fits in your price range. Ikea have just come out with a new kitchen range: metod, which wants to compete with john Lewis kitchens, so they must be quite good if that is their target market.The hotte should ideally be vented outside. As for moving your taps, it might be worth just asking the plumber....I think your costs forA cupboard system, induction, paint and moving taps could come within budget...