Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarabeth2

1960's Small Galley Kitchen Remodeled: BEFORE and AFTER

sarabeth2
10 years ago
We have lived in this house for nearly 48 years. We just updated our 12' galley kitchen. I am thrilled with cooking on my Induction Cooking surface range, which also has convection as well as conventional oven; the cafe brown silgranit sink, the warm and quiet to walk on DuraCeramic tiled flooring, the LED lighting in the ceiling and under the cabinets which really brightened up the kitchen, and though we retained some upper cabinetry over the peninsula, they are shorter and to the ceiling and we now have a good view into the dining area. And another big favorite are the full extension drawers in the base cabinets. LOVE! The drawers on the peninsula pull out a full 27". See the complete album of before and after photos in my Ideabook (click on my name to get to it).

Comments (48)

• rosecottagehome
    10 years ago
    Gorgeous transformation! Great job.
    sarabeth2 thanked rosecottagehome
  • sarabeth2
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here is a before and after looking toward the kitchen from the dining area. The cabinets over the peninsula were brought up to the ceiling and I have a nice clear view into and out of the kitchen area. I also painted all the oak trim on the chair rail and windows/door trims/;baseboard. Used Benjamin Moore, Advance, White Dove OC-17, satin finish.
  • okiecakes
    10 years ago
    Simplistic design that's highly functional. This is the type of work I enjoy seeing on this site !
    sarabeth2 thanked okiecakes
  • sbrustein
    10 years ago
    Sarabeth2- we only have the before view of the kitchen from the dining area. Can you post the after from the same perspective? I love this Reno, by the way.
    sarabeth2 thanked sbrustein
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Very nice.
    sarabeth2 thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • Jennifer Owen
    10 years ago
    This update looks great! What a huge difference it has made!
    sarabeth2 thanked Jennifer Owen
  • PRO
    123 Remodeling Inc.
    10 years ago
    Overall turned out beautiful. Love the under mount sink with contoured counter tops. Its the small touches that count.
    sarabeth2 thanked 123 Remodeling Inc.
  • PRO
    Carmel Decor
    10 years ago
    Very nice!
    sarabeth2 thanked Carmel Decor
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Very nice.
    sarabeth2 thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • sarabeth2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    snrustein, here is a photo of the 'after' looking from the dining room into the kitchen. You mentioned that only my 'before' was posted up there a few postings ago.
  • sarabeth2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Has anyone else out there who has done a kitchen renovation kept your cabinets over your 'peninsula' like I did? (See the before and after in the above posted photos). I just couldn't bear giving up any storage in my smallish kitchen. If I would have done away with those cabinets, that would have been a big chunk of storage. But by bringing the cabinets to the ceiling and making them shorter, I still have a pretty 'open' look in and out of the kitchen. I did gain some storage by extending the cabinetry at the end of this galley kitchen.
  • PRO
    Rebecca Mitchell Interiors
    9 years ago
    Nicely done! Enjoy your new space. You deserve it after waiting 48 years:)
    sarabeth2 thanked Rebecca Mitchell Interiors
  • mombrello
    9 years ago
    You took very good care of your old kitchen over the years. I like your new flooring and backsplash and cabinet handles.
    sarabeth2 thanked mombrello
  • foxvalleychick
    9 years ago
    Beautifully done.
    sarabeth2 thanked foxvalleychick
  • condomary
    9 years ago
    Lovely Sarabeth. I agree with mombrello, you have been kind to your home.
    sarabeth2 thanked condomary
  • blueocean66
    9 years ago
    i like the cabinets at the end of the galley. Storage space is important, and these cabinets look great!
    sarabeth2 thanked blueocean66
  • Susan Markarian
    9 years ago
    Like you I kept my upper cabinets above the island in a recent remodel. I just couldn't lose the storage in my compact kitchen. It's beautiful, enjoy.
    sarabeth2 thanked Susan Markarian
  • PRO
    EP Investment Group, LLC
    9 years ago
    Isn't it a galley kitchen? A gallery holds artwork.
  • Laurel Ennis
    9 years ago
    It's nice to see a kitchen reno that doesn't end up white with grey marble and looks sterile. This has class but also warmth.
    sarabeth2 thanked Laurel Ennis
  • Sandra L
    9 years ago
    Good job!
    sarabeth2 thanked Sandra L
  • Leanne Backstrom
    9 years ago
    I think your old kitchen looked good too - it was immaculate!
    sarabeth2 thanked Leanne Backstrom
  • PRO
    Tony Bettencourt
    9 years ago
    I agree Leanne
    sarabeth2 thanked Tony Bettencourt
  • PRO
    Stamps Design Services
    9 years ago
    Quite lovely! Traditional and warm, yet very a very clean contemporary feeling. :-)
    sarabeth2 thanked Stamps Design Services
  • ellimacgardens
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    This is a nice remodel. I worried that I was going to see another 'brown cabinets to all white kitchen' again. I love the detail of the island peninsula in the remodel that's been angled at the corner; it's a beautiful touch. The raised cabinets above it are great! Your backsplash is so elegant. Very well done.
    sarabeth2 thanked ellimacgardens
  • Stephanie
    9 years ago
    I love your cabinets! The whole kitchen looks gorgeous! Looks warm and inviting, but stylish at the same time!
    sarabeth2 thanked Stephanie
  • Stephanie Tucker
    9 years ago
    Love the new cabinets and your flooring. I want that flooring but was afraid it would be to dark in my small kitchen. It looks great.!! Thanks!
    sarabeth2 thanked Stephanie Tucker
  • User
    9 years ago
    Beautiful!
    sarabeth2 thanked User
  • sunnydayz826
    9 years ago
    Thank you so very much for NOT doing white cabinets and black countertops with your stainless appliances. I am sick of that combo as it has been seriously overdone these days. On a positive note, your new kitchen is a delight. Smart and beautiful choices. Enjoy!
    sarabeth2 thanked sunnydayz826
  • tsuarez24
    9 years ago
    What color/stain are your cabinets?
  • wesell02
    9 years ago
    Beautiful! Congratulations!
    sarabeth2 thanked wesell02
  • Mary Burbary_Champion
    9 years ago
    Really nice job! I would be very happy with it!
    sarabeth2 thanked Mary Burbary_Champion
  • Gigi Perrott Brady
    9 years ago
    What took you so long! Looks great, but I would not have kept the cabinets over the island. Would have opened up that galley feeling!
  • lellogirl
    9 years ago
    Really lovely! Thanks for sharing!
    sarabeth2 thanked lellogirl
  • Kurt Bledsoe
    9 years ago
    It is beautiful. Maybe would have been too open concept for you, but did you think of taking out the walls by the dining room? Then you could could have put a large island, which has lots of storage. Just a thought, and if anything was load bearing, it would not have worked. But this looks amazing.
    sarabeth2 thanked Kurt Bledsoe
  • Eileen
    9 years ago
    Beautiful!
    sarabeth2 thanked Eileen
  • sarabeth2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    tsuarez24, The stain is called Montalgo, a custom stain used by these custom cabinet builders in Fredericksburg, Ohio. It is a lovely rich warm color, which I think could be considered 'classic' and not look outdated for many, many years. Though I do like the clean crisp look of a white or cream kitchen, I always drawn to and always seem to come back to staying with brown and the warmth of brown.
    There is not an 'island' in this kitchen, but it is a peninsula. Having raised the cabinets to the ceiling over the peninsula and keeping them quite short it has really given a nice openness to the eating area. LOVE, love my Congoleum DuraCeramic flooring. Kurt Bledsoe, no we couldn't take out the wall, as it was a load bearing one.
  • 4027chemawa
    9 years ago
    Beautiful I have the same type space. May I please ask how much was the renovation?
    sarabeth2 thanked 4027chemawa
  • t_crafty
    9 years ago
    You did a great job with the renovation but I have to agree with other Houzzers that your "old" kitchen was immaculate.
    sarabeth2 thanked t_crafty
  • goatpro
    9 years ago
    Is the first after pic taken from the opposite end of the space, i.e. photographer standing in front of the window and the end of the space?
    sarabeth2 thanked goatpro
  • sarabeth2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    (4027chemawa): The kitchen, including the dining area, and the window treatment too, and new back entrance door, paint (walls and trim), cabinets, hardware, all appliances, backsplash, flooring came to right around $22,000. (This is NE Ohio).
    (goatpro): Regarding the photos posted at the top: Photos 1 & 2 were taken standing in the hallway looking into the kitchen, photos 3 & 4 were taken standing in front of the window looking back towards the hallway. In the renovation the refrigerator and stove were switched, so maybe that is what looks a little confusing -- those two appliances are now in just the opposite sides of where they were 'before'.
  • losthorizonlisa
    9 years ago
    Great decision to swap the stove and fridge...looks like original walls made for it...beautiful makeover
    sarabeth2 thanked losthorizonlisa
  • Nana Adams
    9 years ago
    So beautiful, enjoy it!!!
    sarabeth2 thanked Nana Adams
  • PRO
    DSC DesignWorks
    9 years ago
    Those cabinets are great!
    sarabeth2 thanked DSC DesignWorks
  • 49erchele
    6 years ago

I don't get it. Looks like the same kitchen with new paint and cabinet hardware. It would drive me crazy opening the frig and oven. That looks like poor planning. Granite is so hard to blend with tile and flooring. sorry just doesn't look right. It's a miss in my book.

• PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    6 years ago

Looks cleaner, great work !

• Deborah Walters
    6 years ago
    Beautiful redo! And, WOW, from the dining room, what a huge difference! Using the shorter cabinets between the kitchen and dining room instead of the longer ones, really opened things up and made the area appear much more spacious! It also gave you a more ample prep area with more room between the counter and the bottom of the cabinets above. Nice job! Great choices!
  • Bev
    6 years ago

Beautifully done! I cooked in a galley kitchen for 27 years until we moved into our present house 3 years ago. I do not miss it!