Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bowdavis

Need light filtering shades/blinds for this new patio door and a soon

Rosemary Davis
9 years ago
We have a wooded backyard and need all the light we can get.
Our neighbors are absolutely wonderful, but we sometimes need some sense of privacy. I was thinking a sheer/semi sheer blind or shade that can be completely pulled up. My problem is that there is only 1 3/16 inch between the wood on the door and the handle as seen on the right. Any ideas?
We will soon have a new deck outside this door.

Comments (13)

• Rosemary Davis
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Oops. Do not need "and a soon" in the title.
  • Junee Bug
    9 years ago
    I had the same problem, had french doors that overlooked neighbors yard, although we had a fence separating us, I was still worried that neighbors up the hill can see us inside the house. I went for the french doors that come with blinds between the glass panes. It still left us the light and no cleaning necessary except wiping glass, have you ever thought of changing the door? It might be easier.
  • Rosemary Davis
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for the comments.
    The dark film would work but I am familiar with it and it does not allow enough light in.
    And changing the door is not an option.
    Still looking for ideas.
  • PRO
    Windows Etc.,Inc
    9 years ago
    Can you not close the existing panels that are already there now?
  • Rosemary Davis
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes we can and we do after dark. They block all the light and prefer to have some filtered light especially late afternoon and early evening when lights are on. We like it open during the day.
  • PRO
    Timeless Interiors
    9 years ago
    Perhaps something like this would suit your needs?

http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products/Pages/ShadingSystems/SerenaShades/Overview.aspx

These are wireless, motorized honeycomb shades that can operate via remote. So simple to install and program the remote. Installs as easy as a mini blind and the remote programs with a few simple button holds. I used to rep this line and LOVE it. Had them in my home. They can be mounted to the door, outside the window since the window itself is not deep enough, and they have a "cable" option that is discrete and will keep the bottom from banging around when the door is open/closed. They are surprisingly quite and come in 3 different fabric options depending on what level of light you wish to have. They do have a "light-filtering" option. Having them on a remote is AWESOME!!! It is small and can be "ganged up" with your light switches (as long as there are the "rocker" or decora style) or sit on a small, weighted stand. Can you tell I really love this product!! LOL!! I don't work for them any more, but still tell people about it because I loved mine so much!! Worth looking into.
  • PRO
    Timeless Interiors
    9 years ago
    Forgot to mention the power source is standard batteries...but battery life will last an average of 3 years (based o n 2 ups/downs per day) do to the technology in the motor.
  • Rosemary Davis
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks, Timeless interiors. They sound interesting. Are they narrow enough to fit behind the latch? I only have 1 3/16" clearance..
  • Megan Springle
    9 years ago
    Try trilight cellular shades. I just bought some for a door in my house and they're great.
  • sheilaskb
    7 years ago

I would suggest sheer door panels that are fastened above and below the glass with flat curtain rods. I still have them over the glass panels on my entry doors, and I hope someone still makes them!

• liserb1357
    7 years ago
    can't think of anything other than solar shades...steves blinds is where i got mine as recommended by pro on houzz. i really like mine...not expensive, easy to install, and you can custom order size, color, and amount of light coming in. i think they would accommodate your narrow area at handle, however you may have to order the more expensive ones without the pull chain. you could talk with customer service for help. on a different note, when you build your deck, do you plan on any vertical components that could offer a little privacy without totally blocking the view of your beautiful backyard?
  • Rosemary Davis
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I found the perfect solution. 2" pleated shades from Graber. I purchased them during their free " top down bottom up " promotion. I get filtered light and can still see out.