Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leanne_cantrell

BIG Room, Zero Taste!

LeAnne Cantrell
9 years ago
Eek. Moved into "new" house in Louisiana style - old cypress floors & beams, brick, arches, big fireplace. Left the tables up after dinner party because Ive got no furnishings yet! Ordered 2 identical rugs & am thinking 4 chairs around an oval coffee table to balance dining table. I am, however, CLUELESS on walls, seating, good taste in general. Appreciate your ideas!! Photos dont seem to show up for me..

Comments (26)

• LeAnne Cantrell
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hoping the photos attach properly !
  • LeAnne Cantrell
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    View from entry foyer. The 3 tables I left up after my dinner party give a good scale reference for the size of this room. We have a family/sun room behind that fireplace & a small TV room too. This giant space is for entertaining, not TV.
  • LeAnne Cantrell
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The color scheme is yellow & sage green, & if these pics loaded, you can see the old 1858 map & the decoy prints...rustic, for sure. Was thinking of 4 red chairs in seating area near armoire (family heirloom). The rugs are green & gold w red splashes. No clue what to do on walls. Deer head over armoire??
  • loves2read
    9 years ago
    We bought vacation/second home in FL a couple of years ago that had gone through some remodeling by the sellers--
    when they opened up the original enclosed galley kitchen, they moved the island with the stove/oven/microwave a foot or so into what had been the formal LA...

This is not the place we use the most--nor does it have a flatscreen up...we are gradually acquiring furniture...
    but I too wanted to have a 4 chair seating area around a coffee table...
    Here is photo of what ours looks like...
    We found some very comfortable swivel/gliders on sale at local furniture store and ordered in light straw...We wanted the swivel aspect because we intended to add a flatscreen to the long wall in that living/dining area and they can all turn to face the tv if they swivel
    I wanted to go with chocolate or blue which would have been more contrast with walls and allowed for more color in that area...
    but my husband thought the lighter color was more Florida--
    plus the other LA which is visible from this one has a yellow toile print and two taupe leather chairs...so he wanted to keep that color palette.

We got a really good price when we ordered the chairs--and we wanted a lower profile/back so that visually they don't dwarf the space but if the backs were just a little taller they would allow you to rest your head...

I found a rattan coffee table on OneKingsLane (I think)...it is a little lower than I wanted but it is small enough to allow easier access and saves over all space...Our grandson will run or ride his push toy through here so we had to leave aisle space between the kitchen island and seating area...plus didn't want them too close to the cooking area...

The Dash & Albert cotton rug I had ordered for the other LA but it didn't work in there--but helps anchor this seating area...

Since we ordered the charis and added the coffee table, we added two side floor pharmacy lamps and we bought a white media cabinet in cottage style from Craigslist--at the far wall. Also found a cottage-style white dining table and chairs from different Craigslist seller...and we added the shutters for privacy from the street at front of the house...

This seating area gets used mainly when someone wants to read and there are people watching tv in the other seating area...and eventually we plan to add a flatscreen so when we have company there is another tv besides going to the master bedroom...

the yellow in rug matches almost perfectly the
  • loves2read
    9 years ago
    I would add the chairs in front of the fireplace--that is always a focal point and you could move tables as needed closer to the wall across from the fireplace and run them along there vs across the middle of the room...

How often do you entertain--that is a huge room...
    are you willing to add/remove furniture as needed for dining space?
  • LeAnne Cantrell
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Love your seating arrangement! Question - is that a square or rectangular rug? I ordered 2 identical 9x12s (too scared to try coordinating diff rugs!) - thought an flattened X placement of chairs w an oval table or ottoman might work. Maybe?

We also carried chairs over to that fireplace in the winter, & wonder if a small round rug w a couple chairs is too much to put there as well. Will it look like chairs on parade?

Just love your arrangement! Thanks for sharing.
  • loves2read
    9 years ago
    The rug is cotton dhurrie 8 x 10 -- being rectangular it is a little awkward to situate the 4 chairs equidistant from the corners and allow space for the coffee table...

I personally prefer a more tradition look--I considered getting the same rug to go under the white table/chairs we have in the dining area in the other side of the L in front of house but an 8 x 10 is too small to allow for moving chairs in/out of the table and a larger sz would be too big for the space...

I don't see anything wrong with using two rugs that are the same for different seating areas...

Red is a good accent for sage green and the room is so large that you don't have to worry about using a stronger color and overwhelming the space...

Are you considering using leather?
    The room seems to have a rustic quality so you could mix leather and upholstery if you had more than one seating area--

Will you change out the chair seats for fabric to coordinate with what you add?
  • LeAnne Cantrell
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    These ideas help! As for the current dining tables, only the big one near the buffet stays there.

The central one is a gate leg that folds down & would be set to the right of the armoire w a chess board on it.

The one w plaid chairs belongs in the family/sun room behind the fireplace. We use it for family game night.

My big dilemma is - in addition to the permanent dining table, do I have room for 2 more conversation areas? We love having friends over (inspires me to clean house ;) ) but cannot figure this room out.

Love the color idea for fireplace wall! Do I put a textile over it or that blank wall perpendicular to armoire? The room is all "hard" looking w angles now. Thanks!
  • loves2read
    9 years ago
    For what it's worth--we lived in Shreveport LA for several years and became friends with guy who was custom home builder--
    he loved to use reclaimed wood from places like New Orleans warehouses for flooring or siding in his houses long before it was trendy...
    We love the look of the Louisiana "cottages" he built--
    just couldn't afford one...
  • LeAnne Cantrell
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    We have 2 apiece of kids, dogs, & cats, so reddish leather chairs were exactly what I was thinking. There is a ton of repurposed cypress throughout the house & I just love it.

Am not thrilled w the gold color on dining mirror, nor the round wrought iron over armoire..but figured I should wait on rug/furniture/art work before changing out.

I kind of want an animal head over that armoire (though we arent crazy about hunting). The design is A. Hayes Town - wish I had pics of his houses !
  • loves2read
    9 years ago
    I would use a rectangular rug in front of fireplace--even with seating group with 4 chairs, especially if you went with the two sofas facing each other...

If you would find a vintage quilt to hang that would fit with the colors and the warm, friendly feel you want to capture for the room...that could work
    LA is famous for its quilts....
    You could also consider having favorite photo blown up on canvas to hang...
    in room that size I think you need large area photos/art vs smaller ones on your larger walls...
    unless you can do a mass grouping with same size frames--
    We ordered a frame that is made as one but has individual sections for photos you print yourself and use to create a large multi-sectional photo...like this

http://www.umbra.com/ustore/product/vista-photo-mural-
    white.store

going to use photo my husband took at local beach if the quality of the jpg works

to me a variety of sizes just looks choppy--although some people prefer to have that mix/mingle look so it's not so matchy-matchy...
  • loves2read
    9 years ago
    that link didn't work
    it's this
    http://www.umbra.com/ustore/product/vista-photo-mural-white.store

You can always paint a mirror frame--
    personally I would think wrought iron or even copper would fit well with your look--
    copper is metal that is becoming trendy
  • LeAnne Cantrell
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    You're right about the wrought iron. Our back porch & stairways have tons of it. Might paint the mirror a darker color to make it stand out. Black??
  • LeAnne Cantrell
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    These are the rugs.. The color will be deeper, but am waiting til they arrive to get sofas or chairs.
  • intdesign101
    9 years ago
    I love this space and it has so much potential! You should definitely consider making at least a small part of it a sitting area with couches and that rug! Also I think you should invest in one of those really long, beautiful wooden farmhouse dining room tables because it would look nicer than several small ones and it would help to fill up the space! Here is a picture of one I found on Houzz, however if you could find a longer one that would be even better! Hope this helps!
  • loves2read
    9 years ago
    I think that is Pottery Barn rug--and if so--I have same style in a runner in my front hall in our TX house--
    stained wood flooring, barrel ceiling with wrought iron chandelier, creamy tan walls w/darker moulding...
    great minds with no taste think alike apparently...

You can use leather furniture on that w/o a problem--
  • LeAnne Cantrell
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks, intdesign 101! I'd love to sell my formal table & go w the farmhouse style. Those other 2 tables go elsewhere, but I had a big dinner party (and no other furniture yet) & just left them.

Once the two rugs get here from Joss & Main, Ill lay them out to see if a central seating area might fit between the rugs. The idea of swivel chairs might work for that fireplace! Maybe two on a round braided rug??

If you know A. Hayes Town architecture, then that rustic farm table idea fits perfectly! I like :)
  • LeAnne Cantrell
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Darn! Couldn't find this thread so I started a new one today w regard to the deer skull & 2 turtle shells. Others don't like the dead animal idea.

My rugs came in, too, & the sage green and yellow look good. Here are rug pics w lonely lil chairs just for scale. I need color!
  • LeAnne Cantrell
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Before my critters got vetoed, we took these pics trying to figure out where to put the deer. I have a blank wall near the armoire & may be able to use the turtles w something there. Theyre not prewired to hang.
  • Nicole
    9 years ago
    I would hang a large pice of artwork on the back wall. Something with some color. Perhaps to a grouping of 3 on one side of the mantel and a plant on the other......just a thought.
  • LeAnne Cantrell
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks!! I would love a large painting over there, especially w a bit of red to pop out. Everything is still too neutral. I haven't been able to find anything, art wise, that is that big & still affordable. Is shopping online for art a bad idea??
  • joehotdog
    9 years ago
    To many tables and chairs.... Unless you have a huge family
  • LeAnne Cantrell
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Joe, yes - these would feed a crew! I don't have furniture yet, so my book club used the empty room for our dinner meeting. I left them in the initial photo to show scale of the room.
  • Nicole
    9 years ago
    Try a place like home goods, affordable art. take your time though to find the right piece. art.com is great too
  • LeAnne Cantrell
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Will do, thanks for the tip!