Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mummum2004

Updating 1980s queen anne dining table, hutch and buffet? See pics.

mummum2004
9 years ago
I have the typical QA dining room table, hutch and buffet from the 1980's. I have recovered the chairs and replaced drapes over the years. Set is in great condition and solid wood, but every time i see one like mine on a real estate for sale website, it is in "grandma's" house! HELP!

Comments (19)

• kcamazon
    9 years ago
    In you like the Antique Style, then its perfect. I personally found it lovely, I love the antique/ Classic design. It depends on your style. If you want to change it for something modern then play with the chairs. You can mix modern chairs, you can even try with a different color of chair.
    mummum2004 thanked kcamazon
  • Ninette LaBarbera
    9 years ago
    I would modernize them with color and fabric
    mummum2004 thanked Ninette LaBarbera
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    9 years ago
    The problem is that you have everything the same. To modernize it you need to mix it up a bit. Can you move the buffet and hutch somewhere else and bring something else more contemporary. This will dilute the effect you have inadvertently created.OR you can 'dress them" up: use thumbtacks to add a fantastic fabric in the hutch or mirror. Add beautiful tassels behind your chairs. Add a mirror top to the buffet. Add a runner down the middle of your dining table. These are ways to take something out of its typical context.
    mummum2004 thanked ASVInteriors
  • Geneviève
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I don't see anything wrong if someone uses the term "grandma's house " in fact I think that to be in Grandma's house is very comforting and secure . So what if things are old fashion ! fashion ,design and all the good things of the past have the tendency of coming back . if you add to it with things that you like , new fabric a newer piece of furniture everything will be just as nice giving the room a young and old look at the same time . I like your furniture and what you have done so far ,the only thing that i would change is the wall colour or even add wallpaper if you like .
    a larger picture and cabinet and move the cart on an angle somewhere else in the room.
    San Anselmo · More Info

Ming Circus Wallpaper · More Info
    mummum2004 thanked Geneviève
  • Geneviève
    9 years ago
    Echelon 5 Light Chandelier Bridal Shade · More Info
    mummum2004 thanked Geneviève
  • mfwolfe
    9 years ago
    Queen Anne style has been around since the early 1700s. That's a lot of grandmas! Posters have given you some very good ideas about how to update the room.....the furniture can stand on its own. One of the wonderful (!) things I have noticed about reaching a certain age is that suddenly everything I own and do is grandma-ish. Well I adored my grandma, so I am cool with it. But I do cringe sometimes also.
    mummum2004 thanked mfwolfe
  • happyleg
    8 years ago

Beautiful. Your buffet cabinet is worth $4,000.

• kate_dreams
    8 years ago

I think the individual pieces are pretty. Possibly break up the set a little. I also like the ideas other posters had of painting some pieces.

• Jennifer Fowler
    7 years ago

I have a similar set that I am trying to update. Yours is nicer and I love that little buffet table! I like the coloring of yours a lot. What I've figured out so far for my update is that I want to paint the walls a crisp blue-gray with white trim like this

Modern Mix in the Fan · More Info

Then re-cover the chair pads with multiple modern blue/white fabrics like:

Then do a simple modern glass vase with white flower (hydrangea maybe?) w/ some stones in the water, then hang a modern white chandelier.

• Rosalind Hill
    6 years ago
    Love the idea of blue and that first blue and white fabric is everything. The outcome should be stunning.
  • chikagostyle
    5 years ago
    I have a similar set in cherry finish. I don’t love it but want to try to modernize it too. I’m thinking of doing creamy white chairs/buffet/hutch or maybe navy or bronze colors. Then I want to paint the back inside of the hutch a color or wallpaper. I will keep the table cherry tho. And either paint the gold handles or buy new updated looking handles. Or I like the idea of different colored chairs too. Not rainbow but some warm colors to match the room
  • happyleg
    5 years ago

old

• Jason Rothfeld
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

NOOO! I absolutely love a formal dining room set. Your's is beautiful! If you wanted to modernize it maybe put a new rug underneath the table and reupholster the chairs. Other then that don't do anything! I can't stand these new modern comfy dining sets. A dining room should always be elegant!

• drdeb1234
    4 years ago
    5 year old post.
    She might actually be a grandma by now...
  • babophz
    4 years ago

lol, drdeb!

• Angela Hogan
    2 years ago

Most QA style furniture is not necessary great quality or solid wood. If that's the case, chalk paint to your hearts desire, but I definitely do not like the thought of ruining fine furniture. I'd redo the seat fabric, walls, decor etc... and bring in farmhouse, modern etc.. In some other way. You can mix and match and make your space look classy and refreshed.

• Kay P
    2 years ago

I agree paint

• M Runyon
    last year

I know this is an old post….but I have a solid cherry DR set and I refinished the bottom of the hutch and table and the natural wood is amazing. I personally could never paint it! I do want new chairs and have struggled to find some I think would look okay. I don’t want to use the ones that came with it.