mwdw1986

Bathroom needs "something"??

mwdw1986
The house is new and I am happy with my bathroom design but....it's missing something in the WOW factor and I'm not sure what it is. I'm thinking either it needs something on the wall by the toilet OR some other accessorizing, OR a different wall color...I can see it maybe in a grey of some sort. Advice??

• groveraxle
    Less is more.
  • mwdw1986
    I had larger niches put in the shower but I agree maybe it's a little busy by the vanity. Maybe if I remove some of my "stuff" and put a simple decor in there.
  • alicejean
    I would try the two pictures on the blank wall, find something else for over the toilet, and eliminate the prominent toilet paper holder and use one of the freestanding toilet paper holders you find at Home Goods.
  • groveraxle
    Like this.
  • mwdw1986
    Groveraxle....I like that but now that the niche is in, "it's in", LOL.
  • mwdw1986
    Alicejean...i thought about moving the prints to that wall and maybe finding a tall faux plant or something for the back of the toilet.

Am I getting too much away from the less is more if I add more accessories?

Advice on paint....leave it or change it?
  • Ann
    I agree about less is more. Looks great as is. I wouldn't add art. The two prints could move to the wall beside the toilet but they're fine where they are (but not art in both places). Probably in retrospect, you wouldn't have added that niche by the sink, but I like your idea of just replacing the stuff with simple decor.
  • Ann
    I like the current paint. I'd just declutter the niche and enjoy your pretty bathroom.
    The Panday Group
    Check out Electric Mirror, you will be surprised as they have wonderful TV mirrors that are placed in hotels and homes.
    SoCal Contractor
    Relocate the TP holder, add a art/photos or paint a mural.
  • Joanna Zygo
    The only thing sticking out is TP holder, maybe replacing it with nicer one or placing it in less visible spot? I don't think it needs more art, there is some art already above the toilet.
    The thing is, anything you add to this wall - whether it would be art, shelves etc - will make the bathroom cluttered.
    The only solution seems changing the paint color but leave the wall as is. I am not sure if grey won't make the room took dark. Someone suggested a darker green - maybe, but not vivid green. It needs to match the tiles and the cabinets.
    Another option is to completely tile it like the shower. Then the wall will not look so empty.
  • groveraxle
    I tried replacing the stuff in the niche with decorative white ceramic containers, but it still seemed too much, so I settled on a white ceramic bird.
    Sightlines
    I'd like to see you go either lighter or darker with the wall color. Love the ceramic bird.
    flair lighting
    the only wall i see with any trouble was your first thought.. toilet/shower wall...we gotta blend in that tp holder. and i agree a green or gray would be nice. floating shelves or boxes would be my go to...nice focal point and you could store some towels etc.
    flair lighting
    here is a mock up
  • backsplashideas
    If you are looking to add something that will add color to the bare wall by the bathroom toilet, we have had several customers use our 4'x8' wall tiles to add design to their room. I am not sure what your dimensions are in that area, but some styles are also available in 18''x24'' size. I also love the custom cabinet you had made, it looks great!
    DirectSinks
    I think I would have tiled half way up on the walls around the toilet. This would have given it more character... with out going over the top. And then it would bring your eye to the tile instead of the TP dispenser. I also agree with a lot of the designers when they suggest picking out a bolder color. I think I like the green better than the gray suggested with in the tones you have going on already. And I too think that little niche box is a little too much. It might be the tile boarder trim... maybe if you just replace that with a wood boarder that matches your door trim.
    Dutchess County Tile
    A simple fix that would give it pop without a lot of work. Put up a glass tile feature wall ( the whole wall floor to ceiling ) I would do the wall behind the toilet may in a goldish glass mosaic
    Check out my page for some ideas good luck
  • Trish O'Sullivan
    I would add a natural element such as a tall vase with dark branches in the corner behind the toilet.
  • mwdw1986
    Funny thing with the TP holder...it was special order to match the rest of the hardware. It does stand out quite boldly though unfortunately. I think a blue/gray sounds like a good fit..the pencil trim on my tile is a pewter color which is why I was thinking gray. Anybody have any blue/gray colors they think would look good? I think the move of the prints and frame changes and floating shelf sound like a good idea. I can visualize the look.
  • mwdw1986
    Groveraxle...I've started looking online and think maybe a white vase that's wide enough to look appropriate but thin enough to sit in the niche might do the trick. Finding the right one is the next step.
    North Prairie Tileworks
    If you would like something with WOW and functional. Consider the attached photo which represent a custom tile wall.
  • mwdw1986
    http://houzz.com/photos/214294

Dark blue/gray like this or light?
  • mwdw1986
    A more prominent frame in a deep mahogany ?
  • lucindalane
    I'm glad you like my ideas, so I hope they would pan out for you. I think a shade lighter than the one shown would be better. You already have the dark wood, and I'm sure you want to keep the bath bright.
  • Stacey
    Your bathroom is very, very pretty. I would clean out the niche a bit. If you look at the photo section on Houzz, check out toilet paper magazine holders. It mounts on the wall. We did one and we absolutely love it and it looks really nice.
  • groveraxle
    Nautilus shell on stand?
  • Patricia Kent
    What about stacking small hand towels in the niche, removing the hanging towel, and putting the mirror on a stand. I think this would simplify that corner.
  • adivra
    People may think I'm odd, but a bathroom should cater to bathroom stuff. So many objects and art pieces make for a lot of useless cleaning. I like Patricia Kent's take on the decor. It looks like a really nice space and the door is beautiful.
  • mjktjt
    Your answer is a paint - but it's a color that needs to work with your vanity top, tile in the shower, flooring, shower flooring, cabinet, door and trim. You have a lot of colors and undertones going on in your bathroom. You need someone (not you) who can see those undertones.
    Do you have samples of your interior finishes you can bring to your local paint store? Otherwise, hire a designer or see if your local paint store has a color consultant who will come out to your home. You will love your space once you get the right paint color on the walls.
    After you paint then reevaluate your artwork above the toilet and think about a piece on the TP holder wall. Don't worry about the TP holder, no to fake greens, and no to more tile. I agree with Patricia Kent about trying to simplify your corner. It's a great space.
  • mwdw1986
    I've been searching thru pictures and can't find any bathrooms with the switch covers painted. Can anyone post a link so I can see what this looks like?

This was never my top pick for the bathroom paint however the home was just completed in September and we went with one paint color throughout the home. It works great with the wood in the rest of he rooms (I'm showing a couple off) but it just doesn't seem to WOW me in the bathroom.
  • groveraxle
    I like the paint color you've chosen, but for comparison, I've lightened and darkened your existing wall color, just so you can see.
  • mwdw1986
    The room looks like the light one when the daylight is in the room and the dark one in the evening so all variations are good I guess.

I think my starting point is going to be...

1) clean out the niche and try to straighten that wall up. I cannot put the mirror on a stand because it's hardwired thru a junction box on the wall. I could move the towel holder over to the other side of the mirror but it will hang the towel over the outlet so I'm mixed on that. Could you photoshop it so I could see what it would look like?

2) find cherry frames for the art that will better match the vanity and tie that into the room better. I've attached a simple one that may be a good fit.

3) after getting new frames decide which wall the artwork will look best on. I'm leaning towards moving them but until I can see what they will look like there I cannot be sure.

4) If I move the prints to the other wall I'll find a floating shelf to match for above the toilet and maybe move the tissue cover and a small white tray (??) to that spot to better uncluttered the vanity top.

5) nobody mentioned these but in looking at the pictures I'm going to replace the tissue cover with a white one AND replace the soap pump with a white one or at least a simpler one. Then I can rid of the hand towel under the soap dispenser (it's there because because it's leaking on my granite).

Once this is done I think I can better reevaluate the paint color. I will be picking up color swatches now so I have a good idea of what to use if I decide to paint. It's just so much simpler to solve the problem with the accessories than paint if it's not necessary.

ALL of the help has been greatly appreciated!!
    Unconscious On Canvas
    How about some mosaic tile?
    Rebecca Mitchell Interiors
    Your bathroom is looking really good. The one thing that stands out to me is the vanity - it doesn't really connect with the rest of the space. Can you add this same vanity colour in some way elsewhere in the room? There's already a lot going on with all the different tiles, materials, wood etc. So don't add anything new. But try and find something that connects to the wood in the vanity. Even artwork on the wall near the toilet. Good luck from Montreal!
    Rebecca Mitchell Interiors
    My apologies - I didn't notice the photo that shows the two framed artwork pieces above the toilet. I would either change the frames to the same wood as the vanity and/or add two same sizes frames to the other wall to the right of the toilet. So you have a collection of 4 framed pieces in the same area. Again I wouldn't introduce anything else.
    FK Interior Design
    Beautiful bathroom, I think the color of the wall isn't working with the tile. It's hard for me to suggest a color since computer monitors can't be trusted. I think if you went with a darker green you might be happier.
    Rebecca Mitchell Interiors
    Firoozeh - you are totally right. The colour is totally wrong.
  • alicejean
    I like the paint. Maybe you can leave the art where it is and place pretty rolled towels on open shelving that coordinates with your faucets, or move art and use the towel idea over the toilet. There's always the magazine rack on the wall by the toilet. Just kidding. Actually, I have a similar problem in our new bathroom. I am not a minimalist, so the less is more issue does not cause me any distress. You really need to do what you love. It is a lovely room.
  • mwdw1986
    You can't see from these pictures but there is a wall mounted towel rack/towel bar directly across from the toilet that keeps white bath towels rolled and hung on it. That puts it right outside of our shower entrance. That wall also has a full sized window in it so that's all I have on that wall. The windows in the house have grills and there is complete privacy where my home is located so I have no curtain on that window. I tried a sheer and it was not fitting into the bathroom. I don't want to do blinds because my windows have a transom window above them and I don't want to loose that look. The uncovered window gives it a clean look.

Re the comment of the vanity top not fitting in....would you maybe suggest a different artwork that pulls the granite colors in more? I those the VanGoughs because of the pink/rose colors in them hoping to tie the vanity top colors into the room more. The cherry stain on the vanity was chosen so it would stand out as a piece of furniture...I can see where matching frames would accent it.
    Michelle Robinson, CKD
    I like the cabinets. Nice rich tone. I think you need to re-think the paint. It seems a little too subtle. Something a bit more bold to add the pop. And remember you don't have to do every wall. Maybe just one wall to give an accent.
  • mwdw1986
    Does anybody think simplifying the artwork would help if the colors worked? I just came across this and I have to wonder. It has the greens that the tiles have along with the ivory and peach that the granite has. The granite also has a lot of burgundy in it though.
    Next Stage Design + Build
    What great comments and suggestions by all! Great finishes has been selected. The strongest style element existing, seems to be the vanity cabinetry. The tile-work is lovely, but neutral. One suggestion is to enhance the vanity 'styling' in the room by replacing the plate mirror with a framed mirror in a coordinating finish the vanity. Pair with a "hotel" towel rack over the toilet in the brushed nickel finish or a single art piece (scaled appropriately). It also looks like you have nice tall ceilings, which may be an opportunity to put a decorative chandelier type fixture in a style reinforces the vanity aesthetic.
    Darla Scheuerman
    Your wall colors are great. Go with the metal decorative piece on the "looming" wall. Don't get it too large or you will still have "looming" except it will be the metal art :)
    Darla Scheuerman
    I could take down the tp holder and purchase a metal stand for it so it is less "there" but honestly not crucial.
    The metal art should be in the brushed nickel. Your bathroom is beautiful if you do nothing at all.
  • Rue B
    In terms of color, this combination or something along those lines may enhance brightness.
    Nordquist · More Info
  • mwdw1986
    I think I might simplify the room a little by removing the artwork from over the toilet and putting ONE piece on the other wall. I'm looking at this in 18x24 with a 1 1/2" cherry frame. Any thoughts?
    Cocoweb
    change a chic picture light on your photo, both highlight the picture and the whole bathroom
  • Joanna Zygo
    I love idea of a mural. Saw on some interior design blog and absolutely love it (but then without existing art or any other art)
    I have seen a bathroom with a mural somewhere but can't find this picture right now.
    Here is what I mean:
    http://freshome.com/2013/09/06/striking-large-scale-wall-murals-adding-new-dimensions-to-a-room/
    http://freshome.com/2013/02/20/adding-personality-to-modern-interiors-city-never-sleeps-wall-murals-by-pixers/
    http://freshome.com/2013/07/04/bring-the-essence-of-summer-indoors-wall-murals-in-pastel-colors-by-pixers/
    http://freshome.com/2012/02/02/murals-and-artistic-strokes-in-a-fab-copenhagen-flat/

Just an idea…it can be something more "quiet"