Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruby_alabar

Where can I put some pop of colors in my living room

Ruby Alabar
9 years ago
We just purchased a dark grey corner sofa from ikea, I have some cushions already and a tray on the foot stool but I feel like I still need a pop of color. I've tried to pull colors from the wall art but they're too muted. I want the space to feel fresh and "summer-y".

I have one round end table on the way that has stainless steel legs and glass top but I don't know which end to put it. I have two genie style table lamps with a cream colored shade. Should I switch to a different color? Change the drapes?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (42)

• robea
    9 years ago
    a rug
    would look great and maybe some sort of art piece on wall
  • Clay Aragon
    9 years ago
    Yup a teal geometric rug, would solve your colour coordination issue. Curtain is fine as is. Your painting is hung too high, I would lower it by about 6-8 inches. Your house looks fantastic!
  • Ruby Alabar
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for all the suggestions! For the pillows, should I get more of the patterned ones or just a solid turquoise? Floral, paisley, geometric? I had an area rug but it's all neutral colors so I removed it and I think it's also too big. Maybe a rug that's just big enough to cover the space from end to end and will not go under the sofa?
    Also not one the photo but to the right is a wall mounted tv, will a white tv console and shelving work to lighten up the space? I agree the art is too high, the husbands made it too high lol and we haven't moved it because I don't want too many holes in the wall. :)
  • Patty Scott
    9 years ago
    maybe fewer pillows but couple larger and down filled so they'll hold a shape. like the sofa and drapes, may not get the summery look you're after but you should be able to get a crisp and modern look, very clean
  • Chem K
    9 years ago
    A rug with aqua and green notes will complete the ensemble. Examples:
    Contemporary Rug, Aqua and Aspen Green, 5x8 · More Info

Indoor and Outdoor Green Stripe Rug, 5'x7.6' · More Info
  • hayleydaniels
    9 years ago
    Get a large plant in a brightly colored ceramic pot to sit in an out of the way corner. Also, you need more art on your walls than one piece so find something with brighter colors such as this print:

http://www.allposters.com/gallery.asp?startat=/getposter.asp&APNum=6377960&CID=E29133118A3E4CFF9D39AF27F3FF62E9&PPID=1&PODConfigID=&search=mygallery&f=g&FindID=0&P=2&PP=3&sortby=PD&cname=&SearchID=
  • whattahouse
    9 years ago
    I see two general categories of all very cool tone colors: black and yellow. Can you switch out the drapes? Also maybe add something in a warmer tone just for pop -orange or red or rust if you want to stick with the colors you have maybe use different textures such as a deep chenille pillow- or how about a shaggy white pillow?
  • 12designstar
    9 years ago
    A living plant would be nice! Use a dracaena - they are hardy.
  • Ruby Alabar
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Change the drapes to what color and print? Any suggestions?
  • Ruby Alabar
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Sadly I can't do indoor plants, I always forget to water and it always ends up dead. I do have tulips in a pot on the window sill. I'm waiting for it to bloom and will put it either on the ottoman/tray or the end table that I'm getting.
  • Ruby Alabar
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Will this rug work?
  • jessegee
    9 years ago
    like the suggestions, and wonder about the grey wall colour behind the sofa, how about a colour, still pale but more attuned to your accents, or am I way off?
  • maggie200
    9 years ago
    You may be able to paint the ceiling a tinted color to play off the rug. I have seen some beautiful ones done. If I could get to my Pinterest sight I could show you a kitchen and living room done well. I'm under the name D if you look.
  • Ruby Alabar
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks but I love the grey so I won't paint over it. Wall art still needs to be lowered, hubby hasn't gotten around to it. ;) If I add more art work, where should it go and should I stick to that type of art and not try landscapes or still life?

As for the ceiling, i don't know if I can paint it another color. If I do it will be for the entire main floor because the layout is open concept. I have a white kitchen.

I'm also thinking of adding a white tv console and bookcase to the left of the wall mounted tv (like an L shape around the tv). Thoughts?
  • Ruby Alabar
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    As you can see from the latest photos I posted, my house lacks color! :) I have some blue and green accents but they're not noticeable,
    I can't even see any on the photos I've taken.
  • PRO
    Shakuff
    9 years ago
    Ah yes, a turquoise rug would be absolutely beautiful! If you do a patterned rug I'd do solid color pillows to add an accent. I like the curtains - they pull pattern and color similar to the top of your art. I'd do a different color shade for the lamp - either the body or the shade.

You have a gorgeous home! :)
  • Ruby Alabar
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you Shakúff! I guess I'll be shopping for a rug, seems to be the consensus on the thread. :) And maybe a lamp or two.
  • Natosha Schafer
    9 years ago
    Some ideas. I too think a rug and change of curtains for color and summery feel.
  • Ruby Alabar
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks natoscha! I like the drapes on that first photo.
  • PRO
    Angelo Design
    9 years ago
    I agree that an area rug is needed and I agree with the above comments on the turquoise pillows. I think the turquoise pillows will pop the green pillows that are already there. Cute lamps that you selected! A larger dark colored console under the TV will tie the room together with the dark colored sofa. The console should be twice the width of what you have now. I would not suggest a bookcase to create an L. I think once your end table comes in, put the table to the right of your sofa and place your lamp. You will then see the room come together. Hope this helps! Good luck! You are off to a great start!
  • PRO
    American Tin Ceilings
    9 years ago
    Look up! The ceiling is a unique way to add some visual interest to a dull space. Creamy white tiles would look great up there, or if you're feeling bold, a gold or metallic.
  • Ruby Alabar
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    This is the end table that I got. Store is taking it's time with delivery (grrrr!) ;)
  • Natosha Schafer
    9 years ago
    West elm, Ruby.
  • Ruby Alabar
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Oh the drapes? Thanks!
  • Ruby Alabar
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thinking of buying fabric and sewing my own pillow/cushion covers. What do you guys think of these fabrics?
  • Ruby Alabar
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    More
  • Ruby Alabar
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Some more :)
  • Ruby Alabar
    Original Author
    9 years ago
  • Ruby Alabar
    Original Author
    9 years ago
  • Ruby Alabar
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ack!
  • rnonwheels
    9 years ago
    If plants aren't likely to survive, how about a collection of tall dried bamboo and other organic "twigs" in a tall floor vase with some summer color to it. I think the over all plan is just lacking in organic materials. I love the zebra strip grey rug for the same reason.
  • PRO
    Pacific Coastal Home Staging
    9 years ago
    First of all, lower the picture over the sofa, it is too high. Then I would suggest changing the color of the wall behind the sofa, to bring out more color from the artwork. Paint is your cheapest and best way to change. Just paint the one wall where the artwork is as an accent wall.
  • rnonwheels
    9 years ago
    I would love to see the furniture legs painted turquise!!!!
  • SusanMac
    9 years ago
    I like your drapes. Could you take a photo of the fabric up close? Rug will make a huge difference. Your kitchen is great! I would love to see a bowl with lemons or limes on the island for a pop of color there.
  • Lindsey Walsh
    9 years ago
    I'd pick the rug before choosing pillows. As previous commenters said, if the rug has geometric designs, you'll likely want to keep the pillows solid.
  • Ruby Alabar
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here's a photo of the drapes up close.
  • SusanMac
    9 years ago
    How is your room coming along? I lowered some art to 8" above the back of the sofa and it makes a big difference. I think you will like it if you lower it.
  • PRO
    Lindsay Cowles LLC
    9 years ago
    Hi Ruby! If you are thinking about adding color, I've got some great bright art for you that works very well with your neutral color choices. It will add just the pop you need. I have both prints and originals available. Check out my Houzz page and or visit http://lindsaycowlesfineart.bigcartel.com/category/prints to view available prints. I can also work to customize them with you.
  • Ruby Alabar
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi SusanMac,

Thanks for asking!
    I haven't found the right shade if blue so I haven't added pillows or an area rug just yet. I'm also still debating whether I should get an 8'x5' or a smaller one. My end table was already delivered, I need color there too. :)
    And the husband finally lowered the wall art lol! Did it make a difference?
  • Ruby Alabar
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Lindsay Cowles Fine Art, thanks but Shipping cost is ridiculous here in Canada, even more so if you're in the US and shipping to me.
  • SusanMac
    9 years ago
    I usually see the front legs of the sofa on the rug, so if budget allows, get a rug that will take up the entire space under the coffee table. Don't go small. Is your picture only 8" above the back of the sofa? It looks like it might be able to be lowered even more, but it certainly looks better. I think you should definitely get the rug before you do any pillows. There are some great ideas above. A large pattern to compliment your drapes would be fabulous. I love the drapery fabric, and since your art has small patterns a large pattern would fit in well and be a contrast.
    There is a rug company that allows you to visualize the rug in your room. Sorry I didn't write down the website when I read the post, but maybe you could try to find that for help in deciding.