Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mickisue

AMAZING Sale on Gas Cooktop

mickisue
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
I have been poring over 30" stainless gas cooktops for our do it ourselves kitchen redo for nearly a year.

I had found the cooktop I wanted, Fagor brand, at A J Madison, where it ranges in price from $750-800. It has five burners, and my only concern was that reviews were nearly non-existent. I stumbled on a blog from a woman in TX, who was kind enough to share her detailed impressions of the same cooktop, that she bought to replace the builder grade one in her new house. In three words: she loved it.

So, that was that.

Then, somehow, I saw, on ebay, a cooktop called Ancona, that looked similar. For less. So, of course, I googled it, and saw it on costco.com for only $449. Score. AND, it had many reviews, and was rated well over 4 stars. After doing some detective work, I found out that it's the same cooktop, with the name that costco gave it.

Everything got put on hold for a bit, as I was in a car accident in Feb, and had a whiplash and concussion: I was told to minimize my use of electronics. (I know, hellacious, right?)

Despite the fact that things aren't exactly flying along in the recovery process, I am trying to get back to as normal as possible.

On Sunday, I went to the costco website to check out "my" cooktop, and nearly had a heart attack: it was on sale for only $349.99. AND, it was sold out. OH NOOOOOOOS.

Went back today, and they're back in stock. Called TLofML, said, "I'm ordering it. Now." and did.

Check it out, if you are looking for great cooktop at amazing price. If out of stock, don't despair, it may be back!

http://www.costco.com/Ancona-5-Burner-30%22-Stainless-Steel-GAS-Cooktop.product.11738475.html

Comments (10)

• corimike
    8 years ago

How do you like your cooktop after having used it? Does it scratch easily? Thanks

• corimike
    8 years ago

Thanks for your response! I actually have purchased one from Costco for my future house, but saw a review about scratching that gave me pause. I've only had a smooth top electric range so I'm not used to the gas cooktop. Do you have any issues with turning the burners on or is it not a big deal? I have seen a couple people complain about the safety feature where you have to hold the dial for a few seconds. I like to can so I'm excited about the big burner on the side, and the reasonable price.

• mickisue
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

They're manufactured in Europe, and that's a pretty standard feature on gas cooktops in the EU. My daughter lives there, so I'd made a lot of scrambled eggs and tea using that method of lighting the burner before buying the cooktop. When I read the cranky reviews, I knew right away what they were talking about. It's a safety feature, actually. Little people who are touching things they shouldn't (heh) can't coordinate the push/hold/turn, but adults should be able to.

I'm sure that people CAN scratch the cooktop. But if you read the reviews of ANY stainless appliance, some dope will have used a scrubber that scratches on it, and blame the appliance for scratching, not themselves for using the wrong tool for the job.

• Dita Couch
    7 years ago

Hi Mickisue, AMS Inc. manufactures under the brand Ancona. The company is based in Canada, not Europe. Here's an informational link. http://www.bloomberg.com/Research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapid=269762012

• mickisue
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks, I didn't know that! Daughter, in northern Italy, has a nearly identical model of the cooktop we got.

• mabender63
    6 years ago

I purchased this cooktop and find the grates hazardous. With the ends open while using fry pans or other cookware if you do not have the pan positioned right they tend to tip over while stiring or accidentally hitting the handle. Had any one else had the same problem? I afraid someone is going to get hurt using the existing grates.

• mickisue
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I agree that it's something to be aware of. But I tend to hold the handle when I'm stirring, anyway. Does yours have the ring that you can put over the grate when using smaller pans?

It seems to be something that needs to be gotten used to. I've been using for quite a while, and never had anything spill--and I do a lot of pan frying and sauteing.

• mabender63
    6 years ago

You should never have to get used to a bad design. I am 67 years old and been a cook all my life. These grates are dangerous and someone is going to get hurt. A re-design for safety needs to happen. I contacted Consumers affairs and reported the issue. I urge everyone to do the same to advoid an accident that is about to get someone hurt. I also keep my hand on the handle but that should not be a norm.

• mickisue
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm not arguing with you--just presenting my own experience. I really like my cooktop. And I'm very well aware that I'd have spent another $1000 for something similar, with a small amount more of cast iron in the grates. I've never so much as had a pan look like it would tilt. YMMV.