Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannie_nguyen

Bean bag chairs. Yes or No?

Jeannie Nguyen
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
Bean bag chairs were a childhood favorite of mine, but I will have to admit, they were never really comfortable. What's your take on them? Would you have them in your home?

Vote and tell us below! If you have any bean bag chairs, post a photo and tell us your experience with them!

Trendy Alrum · More Info
YES - They give a fun loungey look.
NO - They're uncomfy and take up too much space.

Comments (91)

• jboncaro
    9 years ago
    I'm an overweight 71 year old woman who lives alone, If I sat in a beanbag chair, I might never be able to get out of it. :=D
  • lindshammer
    9 years ago
    We have allergies. Porous coverings = Dust mites & filth. Our kids begged and begged; we finally caved and purchased some vinyl ones. Rarely are used. (Who wants to stick to and sweat on vinyl in the south?) I see how children/teens/college kids could like them, but still...dust mites and filth! No thank you.
  • vethmhighbr
    9 years ago
    I bought one for myself to cuddle in front of my fireplace on cold winter nights. I'm 30 without kids. My nieces love to sit on it when they visit so the adults can sit on the couches. When I'm not using it I can easily move it out of the way. I think they're great for extra seating when kids visit or we do family game nights. My boyfriend wants to get a large one so he can sit in front of the fire too while we watch movies.
  • kpappal
    9 years ago
    Our 3 young granddaughters have hot pink, very large beanbags, and love them. The covers can be removed for washing. I don't think beanbags are practical for more mature people.
  • Rachelle Borbely
    9 years ago
    We bought those Big Joe bean chairs- we love them! They are super convenient to move around as they are needed around the house!!!
  • debsurreal
    9 years ago
    Nope. I am still traumatized from meeting my date's roommate while he was sitting in one in the early 1970's. I thought he was wearing shorts but when he stood up, I learned that he was a very tall nudist. I was totally unprepared and I'm short. I relive that every time I see a bean bag chair
  • miniappleman
    9 years ago
    Didn't like them in the 70's, and still have no place for one no matter how technologically superior today's beans may be. Like disco, please leave them both in peace. ;-)
  • Lorraine Marttinen
    9 years ago
    My daughter had the bean bag in her bedroom but unfortunately our cat thinks its a place to do its bathroom so out in the dump it goes
  • cheryllweiner
    9 years ago
    Always feel like I'm falling out, so i vote No for adults
  • rachieng
    9 years ago
    Have a couple but over the years the kids ve squashed them, any idea on the best materials to use to stuff them back. They are quite handy
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    Had a couple for my son when he was growing up, unfortunately they couldn't handle the wear and I really hated cleaning up all those Styrofoam beans! Never again.
  • PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    9 years ago
    Yes, very fun for kids rooms.
    A contemporary house decor · More Info
  • kenkilgore
    9 years ago
    Yes to bean bags, but as many commenters have said, they usually work best for kids. We have two in our bunk/video game room, where our 10 year old son hangs out with his friends during the winter months.
  • Kim Westwood
    9 years ago
    We had them in our first home, late 70's, while we saved up for our lounge. They were great and comfy. We used them in the games room later on. I wouldn't have them in my lounge these days, but great for the verandah. One of our dogs even sleeps on one.
  • hawkb
    9 years ago
    I'd like to know why in the heck even the Walmart generic bean bags are so expensive. And they're cheaply made!
  • hawkb
    9 years ago
    They make great dog beds..........if you can find them cheap at a yard sale.
  • diyher
    9 years ago
    "LoveSacs??? lol, is that a new marketing term instead of the original "beanbag" from the 70's" so people think it's a new product? I agree, hard to get out of when you are older. In fact, when I was in my 20's I thought they were hard to get out of then, always needed someone to pull my arm to make it easier support getting out of it.
  • kathy92857
    9 years ago
    I had to get rid of them! My cat continually thought my bean bag chair was a litter box (I guess because of the crunchy feel)!!
  • crzpro
    9 years ago
    My experience...I bought one for my son and he loved it. At the time he was 7 yrs old. It was really well build, but it was big thing in the middle of our rec-room. As he grew he asked to go to the basemen. This time he was getting a water-bed too heavy for my second floor, I thought. The basemen became a hang-out. All his friend gather in that beautifully finished basemen. One day we have over-night boys from the family. One of them, had not better idea, than jump from the water bed were he was watching TV to the bean bag - it ripped...part of the filling flew all over the place...
    They could have inhale it and became very ill. Thanks God it did not happen. I saved as much as I could of the filling. And made a gigantic canvas similar bag with it.
    And for safety reasons, the bag went back to its old place in the middle of my rec-room so that flying teenagers will think twice before doing something like that again.
    just now
  • pogotown
    9 years ago
    Three kids, three bean bag chairs. When not in use by the kids, our Australian shepherd Murphy would sleep on one until she got too hot, move to the next until she got too hot, move to the third, etc., around and around. I later got a chihuahua pup named Pogo who would sleep on top of Murphy. Murphy did not like it at first and would move. Pogo would always climb back up and finally Murphy just gave up. They kept watch and slept that way, with Pogo atop Murphy until Murphy went to the great bean bag chair in the sky. Just like Yurtle the Turtle. What goes around comes around.
  • Amir Hossein Ghasemi
    9 years ago
    this place is perfect
  • debbietarrant
    9 years ago
    Jeepers.....a lot of comments about a simple bean bag issue!
  • rouxb
    9 years ago
    Well, it was a poll...
  • stryker
    9 years ago
    At least it's all been benign. Sometimes fights break out on these threads. Hard to imagine fighting over a bean bag chair...
  • jcmiami1
    9 years ago
    The LoveSac beanbags are super $$$ for a beanbag chair to start off with - $500 and up!!! We have a LoveSac store here in Miami and have seen them in person - they're top notch quality but are HUGE!!! They look like huge blobs in a room which for me is "no go" lol
  • PRO
    Hooplaroom
    9 years ago
    It is both practical and a decoration item. Definitely YES!
  • PRO
  • Susan
    9 years ago
    This is one of those questions that bothers me a little. If a person wants a bean bag chair in their house, it's their house. I personally don't like them for my home(Eclectic), but I have seen them in other homes where they go with the décor of that person's home, and enhance the style.

I don't think I should pass judgment on a person's style preference. I'm sure there are people that wouldn't like my décor, and in fact, I have been told as much on one of these sites. I'm okay with that, because I don't care. However, there are others that might be offended, because I have noticed that there can be a lack of diplomacy when commenting on other people's décor.

The bean bag chairs from Hooplaroom's photos, are as cute as can be. I am in my 50's, but if I were a teenager, I would love the cupcake.
  • Sharon McLaughlin
    9 years ago
    Susan McFarlane-Well said and I agree with you!
  • Susan
    9 years ago
    Thank you, Sharon. I just think everyone needs to remember that just because we don't know each other, doesn't mean we should forget our manners.

I love different styles and fabric textures other than my own. That's why I love this site so much.

I have a friend that built a house, and because she and her husband like my taste, they asked me for my help. We don't have the same décor style, but I was able to help them pick out elements that they would like. They love their home, and give me credit for helping them. As I said, I would not have picked these elements for myself, but wouldn't it be boring if everyone did the same thing?
  • Sharon McLaughlin
    9 years ago
    I've said this for years, the world would be boring if everyone liked the same things!
    How nice of your friends to ask you to help. I would have felt honored.
  • Susan
    9 years ago
    Thank you. I did feel honored and humbled at the same time. I was concerned that I might steer them the wrong way. However, it's three years later, and they still love it, so I'm relieved.

I think it's okay not to like something, and say it's not for me, but to actually make the person feel bad about their choices, it's just uncalled for. I hope I never make a person feel that way. If I truly don't like an element in a room, I try to be diplomatic about it.

One of the designers on this site commented that my furniture choices were so passé, which is why I don't post photos anymore. My home isn't opulent, but it's very comfortable for me and my husband. He is the breadwinner in our home, so when furniture choices were made, he was a huge part of the decision making.

Off my soap box now. Thank you, Sharon for validating my feelings on being sensitive to others.
  • Anina Salerno_Aita
    9 years ago
    Good for kids, not for adults. I think I'd rather buy pouf ottomans. Neater and still add an extra seat if you want.
  • Sharon McLaughlin
    9 years ago
    It is so much easier to be nice than to be rude and feel superior.
  • PRO
    Cocoweb
    9 years ago
    cool!
  • PRO
    Foshan Kemine Decor Materials Co., Ltd
    9 years ago
    like this style
  • grobby
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I'm looking for one yo go in a grand daughter's playroom. They're much nicer now, than the ones we used years ago.
  • Rachelle Borbely
    9 years ago
    One of our Big joe's - it's a bean bag chair & it's perfect!!!! Each of my girls has their own...so easy to move around the house!
  • mkprizwan
    9 years ago
    Good for a laugh! Even kids have problems getting out of them.
  • etcboutique
    9 years ago
    CordaRoys.com has the solution. A foam-filled beanbag that converts to a bed. Lifetime warranty.
  • PRO
    Artemano
    9 years ago
    In a kid's room or playroom my vote is yes - anywhere else in the home I say no
  • PRO
    Pro Home Stores
    9 years ago
    Definitely yes if you're going for that laid-back, lounge-y look! We have a ton of great styles and sizes over at http://www.ProHomeStores.com
    Here are a few ideas:
    Chillum Fuf Loveseat · More Info

Big Joe Roma Chair · More Info

Jaxx Cocoon Bean Bag Lounger · More Info

Jaxx 7' Bean Bag Lounger · More Info
  • PRO
    Atlas Custom Cabinets Ltd
    9 years ago
    Unfortunately, I don't have one, but it is always the first thing I sit at if I visit someone who owns a bean bag. I think they are really comfy!
  • sandylehar
    9 years ago

I agree with the last post: bean bag chairs have come a long way and you can find great ones online these days. www.beanbagbay.com is a great resource. you can find chairs in sturdy materials that are not only very comfortable, but also easy to clean. Highly recommended!

• PRO
    Style Align
    9 years ago
    Great for kids..or anyone under 30!
  • pdk920
    8 years ago

I couldn't get into one, and certainly couldn't get out of one once I did. If kids like them, fine.

• PRO
    Cabinets & Designs
    8 years ago

Love them! They are great for game rooms.

• dreamhomechicc
    7 years ago
    Not in the living areas but for a kids room or media room they're fun
  • HU-387952745
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

This is a hard question. In my opinion if you would like it then buy it. Oke oke, but it isn't that simple. You need to choose the right size shape colors.
    Here are two links, which will help you to choose:

https://stuffaroundtheworld.com/51/household/bean-bag-chairs/

and the next link is a list of the most popular bean bags of 2018:

https://stuffaroundtheworld.com/165/household/most-popular-bean-bags-of-2018/

I hope I could help you.

Regards Péter