Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
curlylindsay

Ugly wet bar to mudroom w/ sink - help

Lindsey B
9 years ago
I HATE this wet bar in the very 1980's addition to the back of my 1920's house- and unfortunately, it's the first thing visitors see when they come in.

I have a plan for the whole room (white plank paneling and cubbies and shelves for storage) but am trying to decide how to use the very awkward space the wet bar currently inhabits. The wet bar is just 59 inches wide and 22 inches deep. And all the pre-fab options I've found just don't fit. (I likely cannot afford custom cabinetry and still be able to add the cabinetry I want in the rest of the room) Are there options for working in this space without custom cabinetry? How do you configure doors on cabinets that are so narrow?

The sink will come out and be replaced with a full size apron front kitchen sink. (We have chickens, horses, and a garden so lots of reasons to need a big sink in the mudroom.) I HATE the window above the sink, awkwardly sized, it actually looks into an ugly back porch, so I'm tempted to just pull out the window, patch the wall, and put white subway tile over it? Would that work?

I really like the idea of wall cabinets, but again run into the issue of most prefab cabinets being 15" wide, and working in a space that is 59" wide.

I love this grey and white look from Ikea, attached, unfortunately none of Ikea's solutions are sized to fit in this space.

Don't know what I am asking specifically, just need HELP finding a way to to get the look I want in this space.

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Yearley Interiors
    9 years ago
    Well you can always repaint them the color you want and add some white subway tiles like in the Ikea pic on the backsplash partway up the wall. I would remove that wooden shelf up high and either add glass shelves for glass ware and bottles or leave it open. The wall color has to change too. A custom cabinet shop could make just new doors the same size as the ones there to look like the frame style in the IKea picture without replacing all of the cabinetry. the new doors can be painted the same color as the rest and have new hardware put on. i can't quite tell what the material on the countertop is though and it looks a bit gold so that might be your biggest dilemma if you are keeping that.
    Lindsey B thanked Yearley Interiors
  • Lindsey B
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks! The apron-front sink sticking out the front means at least having to rework the existing cabinets.
  • PRO
    Yearley Interiors
    9 years ago
    oh so you are putting a new sink in like the ikea pic? that is typically a kitchen farm sink and a bit large perhaps for a bar sink
  • Lindsey B
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Right, the idea is for it to no longer be a bar at all but a pretty and very functional mudroom with a full size apron front kitchen sink. We have chickens, horses, and a vegetable garden so lots of reasons to need a big sink in the mudroom.
  • Dar Eckert
    9 years ago
    How wide is the area on either side of the windows?
  • Lindsey B
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    15" on each side.
  • Dar Eckert
    9 years ago
    The reason I asked is that you could put upper cabinets on either side of the window. I think they are as small as 10 inches.
  • Lindsey B
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Does the window look dated to you? I think it does to me, and the view is terrible- so I think maybe I want the whole upper section cabinets and to just get rid of the window?
  • PRO
    ProSource Memphis
    9 years ago
    With 4 simple off the shelf cabinets, some 2x4's, some fillers, an Ikea 24" farm sink, and some fabric and tile, you can have the space transformed! Think about doing some of the window film that looks like stained glass. The window does provide light, and a focal point for the area, so I'd hate to lose it. The stained glass film hides the view for you though.
  • Dar Eckert
    9 years ago
    Wow, that really changes the look. Nice
  • fissfiss
    9 years ago
    Have you looked at the Kohler Gilford sink? It's wall mounted, so might be able be flexible with the built ins.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Just take down the shelf and paint the existing cabinets. Then maybe add a couple of wall cabinets. No farm sink. It's too expensive for a budget redo, and so is all new cabinets. I do like the ''stained glass'' idea though as I too would not like giving up the light that comes in through the window. There's a product called Gallery Glass that you can find at your local craft store that you can use to transform the existing window to your colors and taste on a design.
    Lindsey B thanked User
  • Carol Singletary
    9 years ago
    What about a simple frosted glass look to hide the view but keep the farmhouse look and the light? I have seen both "stick on" stuff at HD, and frosted glass in a spray can with a stencil.

Something to think about.

I agree that the upper cabinets might give it a tunnel look if you out them on either side of the existing window. Have you considered open shelves in front of the window? Not sure if that is a currently "in" look, but it might work.

I absolutely understand the need/desire for a BIG sink here. Go for it!