0
rredpenn

rredpenn
last modified: January 16, 2015
We're building a carriage house (we prefer the term garottage) on a lot behind our house this summer. It will function as garage space (mainly boat/shed storage) with simple guest quarters above. Our original garottage is pictured above... Haha, it was truly a garROTage, built in 1940, I think. It was torn down last fall. Please don't bother telling me how to fix THAT garottage--IT'S GONE NOW! :) I used it as the dilemma icon to remind me how far we'll get with something "snazzier". :)

To be economical, we're planning on a 2-story structure. The new garottage must meet city code and have more living than garage space--61% living space--but the city is allowing a screened porch to count as living (Yay!) so we want to incorporate that on the structure. We hope to get 2br, 1 bath, a kitchen(ette) and laundry from the living space above, and a large-ish garage space below. This is a summer vacation spot and family/guest overflow space is what we're after!

We're meeting with the city planner and our builder/carpenter this weekend. We have some general ideas from looking at plans online, but have not purchased any yet. We'll know more soon about what we can and can't do after talking to our people here.

I don't have a specific dilemma/question yet, but started the thread to have a spot to be able to do that. I'm sure I'll have TONS of things I'll need opinions about! So, I'd appreciate any feedback as this project moves along! I'm terrible at envisioning things, and more terrible at decorating, so I hope the feedback, suggestions, advice and encouragement will keep me sane and make this a snazzy garottage worthy of the lovely setting it's on. Thank you! :)

Comments (69K)

• fissfiss

We had our first decent dinner out tonight....at the Hanoi Bicycle Shop...really good Vietnamese food. We’ve tried a Scottish Restaurant round the corner....should have run like heck once the tour bus pulled up...we’ve tried a restaurant by the Two Fat Ladies...they have a TV show, really slow service and way too much salt ....and not enough food. We were forced to stop at a shop serving bubble waffles and chocolate afterwards.
    Our soup and toastie in Troon for lunch today was awesome...and my Thai chicken curry at the hotel bar the first night was really good...if you don’t have a kitchen, a good supplier and microwave works!
    We’re staying at the Moxy in Glasgow, not expensive, a Marriott brand, industrial chic, small rooms, but new and comfortable...friendly staff, bar, limited food, billiards and foosball in the lobby.

• rredpenn

Admit to drooling too long on these too.

For all his sheet music? LOL

• juliab51

I love MCM, or at least Danish modern. I'm still ticked at myself for listening to my mother and not getting a Danish teak dining set and going for a Queen Anne style one instead. It drove all my design choices for decades, and I never liked my houses until I got rid of the darn thing and started using furniture from the 60s.

• knicetime

Glassy, welcome to year round living at the beach...lol. At least you have the lake house to escape when you need it;)

• rredpenn

I like wood... I love simple well made wooden furniture. I am not a fan of claw feet and ornately turned nooks/crannies to dust. And I love using vintage pieces, esp those with a connection to my past or to someone I loved.

I just spent all day spiffing up Jo's dressers. Here is the Walnut Piece, which Otherhalf claimed for himself. It's in our closet. But he hasn't put his clothes in it... yet.

This morning, I made kraft paper essential oiled liners for the drawers, which he deemed smelled of "old lady"... LOL Specifically, it smells like Jo's house. And her mothballs in the crawlspace from years ago.

Misted w lemon essential oil water, and out to dry in the sun. Sorry the potting soil mess is still evident. LOL I potted up the peppers and tomatoes out here this am.

The whole closet smells like a lemon tree forest now. I lemon furniture oiled the wood, inside, outside and upside down first. Then I slipped the kraft paper liners in. Leaving it open a few more days to breathe, then he can put his dam n socks and stuff away, finally.

Boy, tho, she is glowing with oily lemony-ness now. :)

• rredpenn

As are the other two dressers. The oak piece is in the Library bedroom. Looks perfect in there. I should take a pic of that one too. It's quartersawn oak, and mission dark stained, and in beautiful shape. I'll go get a pic. Hang on...

• mamabear2014

It's a beautiful chest of drawers. You have it so shiny!!

• rredpenn

Jo put a scratch on the drawer, but Otherhalf is gonna get some stuff to fix that and where the finish has worn a bit in the drawer frames. It is solid and super heavy tho, and the drawers work great in that one too. She had good stuff.

Such pretty wood grain on that thing... :)

• rredpenn

I haven't quite got the cherry one together yet. It's also pretty sweet.

Someone just rang my doorbell and dropped off a basket full of kids' books for the LFL! My neighbors are totally embracing this thing. I am so stoked about it. I'm gonna go out and put a few of them in right now! :D

• mamabear2014

That is so awesome about the LFL! I think you will have lots of new additions showing up!

• rredpenn

Awww She gave me the Poky Little Puppy! :)

• pickyvicky

Nice drawers, Rred! Solid wood is heavy. I like the simple, non-shiny cherry. Something you’d see in my grandma’s house. She also had mission-styled furniture. And a mohair couch that took a bit to get used to when wearing shorts.

• rredpenn

Tomorrow I am gonna go to the Memorial Day Flea Market here and find a bench to put there next to it. That is my only goal. I am taking a Me Day.

• pickyvicky

Grandma also had some quartersawn oak pieces, but I do not know the style. It was a little mission but the top drawers curved out. Had key holes, too.

• rredpenn

LOL Mohair. I remember that stuff on furniture... :)

• pickyvicky

Wow, your library is full! Congrats!

• ladma

Nice dresser! Did I ever share my pokey little puppy story? D2 had a copy that slept in her crib with her. For some reason I never read it to her, I read a million others, but not that one. When I finally did read it to her, she told me. That’s not how the story goes! She had created a new story all her own. I still kick myself that I never transcribed her version!

• pickyvicky

My BIL wants my other sage. Says he will dig it out, but doesn’t know when he’ll have time to do it. Sis says to give her cuttings. I warned them.....

• kcooz07

That is so cool that neighbors are loving the LFL! Your Mom and Jo are smiling for sure.

Do you have company coming for the holiday? Take a break and enjoy all your hard work. You and OH have really earned it.

• pickyvicky

OS had a dinosaur A thru Z book. Had to read it every night. Mom couldn’t pronounce the dinosaur names quite right and he’d correct her. I don’t know if my pronounciations were correct, either, but I didn’t get scolded. LOL

• rredpenn

LOL PV, just give him what you have in that box there... it will be ok. A bit wilty at first, but next year, it'll be back w a vengeance. LOL Btw, if you see any little sages coming up post planting the mugos (and you will, but you know what it looks like)... just dab carefully w a paintbrush a little roundup on the sage's new leaves. It will help tamp it down for good.

They are hard to dig out. I commend you. :)

No company this weekend. My bro threatened to come, but he has cancelled. (He's not "company" anyhow. He's easy.) :) And, we are gonna take it real easy tomorrow. We've been playing a lot this weekend too tho. We've had dinner w friends, visited friends and of course, went to the local DP and met up w people from hometown and their dogz. It's been relaxing, I promise.

Have you guys ever seen this product line? I am smitten w how soft it makes my hands after the abuse they've had the past few days. It's a little too perfumey, but I forgive that for the way my skin feels. :) I got some at the greenhouse/garden center the other day. I see they have it at Wally World too. SMH

• glschisler

Yes, knicetime, this is going to be an experience ;) our parking lot is full, like 130 parking spaces. :/

• glschisler

Those chests are nice RRed, and that is so cool how the neighbors are contributing to LFL!

• glschisler

I saw this tonight & thought I would pass on the info to keep deer away from the flowers. ;)

• fissfiss

I was thinking about fishing line out in the woods, using the trees instead of stakes.

• fissfiss

Those chests are wonderful...yeah, eau de old house....I think it is mothballs mixed with 50 or 100 years of cigarette smoke, too. That library is really building community, isn’t it?

• ladma

Glischer, I think fishing line is the one thing I haven’t tried. I gave up on the big vegetable garden a few years ago, what the deer didn’t eat, the ground hog did.

• rredpenn

OK Glassy. I love a challenge. I have the stuff around here already that I can use as a test of that deer-proofing technique this year. We have a hosta border along the back fence behind the garottage that has, for the past few years, been decimated by deer. My neighbors on either side also started moving their hostas there, bc it looks nice. I have suspected that the neighbor behind us all feeds the deer and has a salt lick too! GAH! He has encouraged them!

So, this has become the first spot the deer have attacked. And, attack it they have! The plants are eaten down like a salad bar...

Today, I will zigzag some old fishing line on posts over them to see if that makes a difference!

It's an excellent place to attempt this experiment! And the neighbors' hostas will be the control. I doubt they'll go to this much trouble to save their plants. LOL

Stay tuned later for some photos of all this. LOL

• rredpenn

If it's easy enough, I'll try it at homebase too, along the zen garden path next to the house. I don't have enough tree baskets for all of them, and last year, yep-- I came home to stems there one day.

The deer don't like the tree baskets. That has worked for some of my plants at home. I think I told you about the one I found at the bottom of the hill... LOL I like to imagine that scene-- the deer with a tree basket stuck over its head, trying to "run it off"... LOLOL

• samoken

We have strung fishing lines at the part of our yard that butts up to our lake to keep the geese from landing in our yard. I call it the electric fence.

• rredpenn

And that works? Awesome! I'd like to see that in action! LOL

• mamabear2014

Sam just made me remember a place we had dinner in the keys. They had strung fishing line above the outdoor tables to keep the seagulls from coming in to dine.

• glschisler

I hope it works for you all! Here at the condo we string several lines across the pools to keep the seagulls & pelicans from enjoying them :) the web site is listed at the top of the article for additional info. It was on my p interest.

• glschisler

Yes, I remember the baskets ;)

• fissfiss

Is razor wire illegal?

• ladma

Fiss, you sound as desperate as I get dealing with the deer!

• fissfiss

Hunting season is so limited.

• pickyvicky

Hubby wishes the deer would make a salad out of our hostas. Such a pain to mow around. Now that I’m helping him mow the lawn, the hosta visual fence can go. Kids are older and know where the cliff is.

• pickyvicky

Rred, in regards to the sage...I know it’s going to come up and am prepared. Some of the shoots were too far down to either pull up or dig for.

Thank you for commendation. I’m hoping the second one is easier.

I’ve warned BIL. I thought he was joking when sis said he wanted them.

Rain is just enough to spoil working on the project today, but we did get the first mugo in place. Lots of dirt on some of the lava rock which is getting cleaned naturally. Maybe tonight I’ll get the fabric down and lava on top. Just one tiny little section nearly done me in but Goonies never say.........!!!!!

• rredpenn

OK. I got a part of the hosta nursery covered in fishing line traps this morning. LOL

Here is the test area... LOL

Maybe you can see that the whole thing is fenced (the backyard neighbor did that long ago) with that wire stuff that barely shows...The deer have to come on our side to get at the hostas.

I ran 16 lb test line (which is not monofilament; it's a braided, wiry feeling line and pretty strong) in zig zags from the fencing to any garden stakes I could find along the fencing and the front of the plants... it will be unpleasant for the deer to get in there now.

It was hard to photograph this even... the shady spots and the sunny spots made it hard to capture the whole thing...

• rredpenn

I got more stakes, and will do more fishing line traps next time I'm here. I got about 1/3 of them with what I had this morning. Or Otherhalf may do some of it too while I'm gone. We'll see if it does anything. LOL

Then, I went to the flea market and found my N something fun for us to do in Oregon. We are gonna add to the little horse project around town! :) Link here to insta photos... (I'm worried we won't FIND any!) LOL

Found a pile of plastic horses for dirt cheap... :D Maybe we'll paint some of them fun colors?

My favorite in the pile... the Harry Potter and Ron horse. LOLOL

• pickyvicky

Horse project seems pretty fun! You’ll have a blast. I guess zebras are considered horses. LOL

• rredpenn

Couldn't find the right garden seat/bench at the flea market tho, so Otherhalf and I left without one. In the car, I said, "Maybe we should just bring up one of the old 3-piece concrete benches we have at home?" There are two at home...they came with the house. We don't have them set up bc they were in his way one time... grrr!

LOL Anyhow, you see how I phrased that? I sure can't lift those pieces! That's why the parts are still in a jumble in our backyard. And I sure can't move them, or I'd have put them back together!

He loved that idea. So he gets to load the heavy pieces into the car, and drive it here and set it up for me. LOL

• licksch

Great tip on the fish line and deer. I will be passing that one on. And I have to say I also drooled over the multiple drawer cabinets mid century modern but oh so wonderful for drawing paper and drawings in a studio.

• rredpenn

You're prob so sick of this thing... but somebody took home "The Poky Little Puppy!"

My heart is full! :)

• pickyvicky

Aww.....that’s such sweet news, Rred!

• pickyvicky

LOL on the concrete bench, rred! If there’s one thing my married, older self could tell my married, younger self it is the art of effective suggestion. Rule #1: don’t get your panties in a bunch, use your noodle.

• rredpenn

Right? If I had suggested he load one of the concrete benches at first, he'd surely have balked.

At the very least, it would not have been a priority...

But I planted the seed of the idea that I wanted to get a bench weeks ago. Then today he shopped with me for one. That changed everything! LOL

• licksch

Congrats...well played, Rred...lol.

• pickyvicky

Years ago hubby went to a charcoal grill. That’s too involved for me and so hubs is the cook. It seems every time we plan on grilling I get the “it looks like rain” scenario. Grrrr. (TBH, it’s always raining on weekends, especially last year.) Too many plans got sent to the broiler of where I’m the only one who knows how it works.

Anyhow, I’ve been wanting to grill on my terms and had a year to plant some seeds. So today I just happened to buy a table top, propane model. One that folds up and will store easily. Hubs comes home and I says...”hey, I bought a tabletop gas grill.” Says he...”ok.” Easy peasy. GF was amazed. LOL

If the charcoal grill becomes a patio ornament....yard sale next year and I’ll upgrade.