0

rredpenn
last modified: January 16, 2015
We're building a carriage house (we prefer the term garottage) on a lot behind our house this summer. It will function as garage space (mainly boat/shed storage) with simple guest quarters above. Our original garottage is pictured above... Haha, it was truly a garROTage, built in 1940, I think. It was torn down last fall. Please don't bother telling me how to fix THAT garottage--IT'S GONE NOW! :) I used it as the dilemma icon to remind me how far we'll get with something "snazzier". :)

To be economical, we're planning on a 2-story structure. The new garottage must meet city code and have more living than garage space--61% living space--but the city is allowing a screened porch to count as living (Yay!) so we want to incorporate that on the structure. We hope to get 2br, 1 bath, a kitchen(ette) and laundry from the living space above, and a large-ish garage space below. This is a summer vacation spot and family/guest overflow space is what we're after!

We're meeting with the city planner and our builder/carpenter this weekend. We have some general ideas from looking at plans online, but have not purchased any yet. We'll know more soon about what we can and can't do after talking to our people here.

I don't have a specific dilemma/question yet, but started the thread to have a spot to be able to do that. I'm sure I'll have TONS of things I'll need opinions about! So, I'd appreciate any feedback as this project moves along! I'm terrible at envisioning things, and more terrible at decorating, so I hope the feedback, suggestions, advice and encouragement will keep me sane and make this a snazzy garottage worthy of the lovely setting it's on. Thank you! :)
Comments (64K)
  • rredpenn

It was. One thing I miss about our old house, sort of, is seeing the sky. In the woods, we get little patches of it, but not the enormity of it all. Of course, the reason I liked this place was the trees (and the shade)... LOL It's all a trade-off. But in winter, we get a bit more sky, so I'm always out on the deck looking up. LOL

• stryker

It's always a trade-off. I get lots of southwestern sky but no sunlight sparkling through the trees at sunrise. I miss that.

• rredpenn

Talk about sparkling... :)

The other morning, I was driving into town and there is a dip in the landscape on the roadway. The fog was still hanging around, and the temperatures were perfect for the formation of fog-frost. You know how they say "Dense fog advisory, esp in low-lying areas...?" So there was a gorgeous frosty white, covering everything in that one part of town along the road, and the rest of the drive was brown/dry. From the hilltop approaching it, it was really cool.

I am easily amused.

• pickyvicky
    Haha....thanks for the video Rred. I’ve got about an hour with only me in the house this morning.....I gots to get ‘er done!
  • pickyvicky
    We used to live in the upper part of our town. Upper as in on top of the mountain. The air seemed fresher and you could see more landscape. Now we’re in the valley, of sorts. Not nearly as scenic and everything rolls downhill.
  • pickyvicky
    Kcooz....you, too? Love it!
  • pickyvicky
    Even my former neighbor’s “stuff” rolled to my house. LOL

New neighbor is very quiet and neat. We have yet to meet. It’s odd. We were so used to the former “excitement.”
  • rredpenn

Stryker said something over on Toats' thread that reminds me of a conversation I had with the guy who changed my oil a couple weeks ago.

I was in my car in the bay (this is a quickie place, where you just roll down the window and stay put in your car) and Xmas music was blaring overhead inside the garage. I said to the kid, "Wow, they really got the volume blasting!" (It was drowning out my NPR, right? LOL)

"Yeah, since Dec. first..." he lamented. "It's company rules..."

"It's so everywhere now that I can't listen to it at home anymore," I said. "The only Christmas music I intentionally consume is live-performed--like at my sister's kid's, or her church's choir, performances."

"I pretty much have every song, and every TV commercial's Christmas songs, blocked out in my mind now," he said. "Otherwise, it just ruins Christmas for me."

"Haha! Me too! Ah, but here we are, two total strangers, talking about something we have in common. Christmas music, whether you like it or not, is one of the few things our culture has left that we all have in common--maybe not by choice, mind you, but still... It used to be you could talk to anyone about last night's M*A*S*H finale, or what happened on Johnny Carson, but now everyone has the ability to diversify to their own taste their personal forms of entertainment. There is little left that is as common to us all."

"Wow, I suppose you're right!" he mused.

"Yup, it's Christmas music, and the Superbowl," I said.

-----

This morning, Otherhalf asked me if I'd heard about the growing controversy surrounding the "Christmas classic" song, Baby, It's Cold Outside. Is it really as creepy as the lyrics seem?

LOL

I guess, thank goodness they don't perform that song at my sister's church. LOL

-----

When I was in a restroom at a truck stop in Colorado on our way home from Thanksgiving, there was a mom with her two little kids in the biggest stall next to me. Through the walls, one of her kiddos began singing "Jingle Bells, Batman smells! Robin laid an egg!... etc" and I had to burst out laughing.

Embarrassed, the mom apologized to me at the sink washing hands. I said, "OMG, no worry! I loved it!"

And, I really did. :)

• glschisler
    Oh darn, I missed baby “ C”! Love the tree Kcooz :) PV, if you could get a used refrigerator box to put the fishing rod in, that would be funny to guess, but a challenge to wrap!
  • pickyvicky
    Ya da! Paper matches the room.
  • mamabear2014

Baby, it’s cold outside is My favorite! I had a big ole rant about the controversy but deleted it. All I got to say is that I will continue to listen to it. SMH

• pickyvicky
    Paper is just a little bit shiny and draws attention. May have to make the room off limits.

Someone stole the Batmobile! And the poor commissioner....to be in a cast at this time of year.
  • mamabear2014

Success, PV!!

• rredpenn

Good wrap job, PV!

I'm dreading wrapping what I got OH. Maybe I'll put it in the hot mess later? I have to wait until he's outside working on the woodpile, or gone for a while...

• pickyvicky
    After wrapping OS’s giant behemoth I was near the end of the roll, so I use the long tube to cover the hooks the line goes thru and provided stability at the top. I came up one hook too short so I robbed the toilet paper roll. All done! The reel is in its own separate box. I have to keep this gift secret because he wanted a two piecer, but for catfish it wasn’t happening — of which he is aware.
  • pickyvicky
    I love buying funny gifts that need a huge box. For example, a giant container of pork rinds.
  • rredpenn

...and he never seems to leave anymore. LOL

• mamabear2014

I wrap gift cards in funny or large boxes. So when they open the gift and it’s a Cheerios box, I get a funny look. Like, is mama bear off her rocker?? LOL

• mamabear2014

It’s not like I wrapped Scarlet? Or a bowl of jello?

• rredpenn

We used to put obtuse clues as to the contents on the tags outside the gift.... Sometimes, they got pretty far-fetched and funny.

• glschisler
    Nice job PV! :) yeah, I don’t get the Christmas song snafu either...but the Jingle bells is funny!
  • stryker

I'm really proud of myself for not going postal after listening to 8 hours of Christmas music, day after day. I hear it in my head even when it's not playing. Yesterday I heard the same song five times. Christmas Island. Ever heard that? I think it's a 60's song. How about "All I Want for Christmas is my Two Front Teeth"? I hear "It's Cold Outside" all the time. Interpretation is not required. It's right out there. I never get to hear Silent Night or Holy Night or Greensleeves.

• glschisler
    My mom always gave money, because what the grandkids wanted was always too expensive. She always wrapped the money in boxes she would save all year. Toothpaste boxes, polident, cereal boxes, etc. :)
  • glschisler
    RRed, OH likes to grocery shop. That’s where I send him every day. :))
  • pickyvicky
    My bestest friend’s family likes to buy strange items and hide money in the packaging. Usually the items were second-hand store stuff. (Things not of the gifty kind.) One year someone gave their mom a toilet seat (new — and I don’t know where the money was hid. I don’t think we ever figured it out.) All gifts were opened one person at a time and while the craziness was going on looking for possible hidden money, you had to be careful no one was trying to lift your stash. They included me several Christmases in a row until I met hubby. It was hard to give up. Really, really fun times.
  • knicetime

When my daughter was in high school she worked one Xmas season at Williams Sonoma. She said it ruined Christmas music for her. Also, every friend and relative tried to hit her up for the employee discount...sheesh!

• fissfiss
    He’s skiing right now...welcome to retirement!
  • rredpenn

Unfortunately Otherhalf's hobbies all revolve around his being right in here. LOL

Stryker, I agree. The music they should be playing is the really classic stuff...Vince Guaraldi's Charlie Brown Christmas, and Jesu Bambino and instrumental versions of Silent Night.

Alas, too religious perhaps. Hence, all the insipid pop rock versions of G'ma Got Run Over by a Reindeer kind of stuff. THAT is really what makes me postal. LOL

• rredpenn

I can't send him to the store either. He comes home with weird things, and nothing for making meals. And he always forgets things.

• mamabear2014

We went to town specifically for coffee filters and oil change supplies for the car. I lost my list on the way...sigh...and guess what we forgot?? Uh huh...that's my life lately. I don't know where my brain is lately???

• ladma
    I hate when I painstakingly make the list, then lose the list. Mr had taken to wanting to drive me to the store. It’s ok sometimes, but if I want to pop in to TJM or Michaels or BB&B it’s annoying.
  • rredpenn

LOL Yeah, Lad that is one thing I miss most about doing stuff on my own. I am not a recreational shopper but there are times when I want to do stuff that he just thinks is a complete waste of time.

And that spills over into the grocery store. He's all over the store, criss-crossing in a big, fat hurry-- Milk! Cheese! (opposite ends of the store, on the perimeter) Oh! Forgot the lemons! Back to produce! Then, Oh yeah! Off to the deli for turkey! Beer! (in a totally separate section). It is just SO inefficient to shop that way.

I tend to mosey up and down almost each aisle, systematically. I see things (maybe not even on the list) that we are out of, and I pick it up right then. He can't stand that, and rushes away from me to go get the lemons! or the beer! then, rolls his eyes at me for taking a little extra time to think about the next three nights' meals. Sigh. But, he readily admits he's the one who forgets items on the list.

Another thing he does, if he goes by himself-- he doesn't read labels. He gets the wrong things. Like that one time he got a big bottle of lotion for his face, and didn't notice it was Self-Tanning lotion. LOLOL

I almost let him buy and use it, but I did stop him in time. That time. LOL

• ladma
    He likes to push the cart, but keeps pushing without stopping, so I end up with my arms full of stuff. Now I try to send him to do other errands, and come back and get me. The beer and wine store, and bottle return are not part of the grocery store.
  • mamabear2014

And I was thinking I would look forward to him retiring. LOL

He was rushing me today...because he wanted to get the oil changed before he went hunting. Then I am supposed to have the chili done when he gets home, because he will be cold and need something to warm him up. You have no idea how many times I just rolled my eyes...kinda dizzy now.

We went to the wine and beer store and they have a drive up....so yeah....I could not even browze. Not that I should be drinking anyway with the current BP med...but a girl can dream!!

• pickyvicky
    Going to the big W with hubby for “quality time” raises my BP. There’s only so much moolah in my wallet, therefore I put items in the buggy accordingly because he refuses to have his and hers. My side, his side, and somewhere along the line things get mixed up. Upon checking out I’m a little steamed because I never have an idea of the tally, my budget was blown, to which he always says “don’t worry about it.” But I always do. One time I had reached my PO point because he wouldn’t separate “his and hers” on the conveyor and I think I was grunting. Just as we’re about to leave, the cashier touches my arm and says, “honey, I don’t know what you’re going through, but I’ll pray for you.” LOL....I didn’t know whether to burst out laughing or bark at hubby. Then it dawned on me she probably thought something worse.....so I no longer make trips to the big W with hubby unless he’s totally paying.
  • licksch
    Lol...kinda glad I am single...hats off to you peeps...

Missed the photos of the littles...hopefully there will be more at some point.

I am doing two stockings, for YS and his GF. Adult stockings ain't cheap! And I agree, no where near as much fun...I need to come up with small inexpensive ideas...so far I have mostly edibles, and gourmet edibles add up fast.
  • rredpenn

LOL PV... You must've had a real look on your face.

My DD and her hubs do things that way too, but being from the computer literate generation, it's all through their phones and some secure app that they pay each other with, on the spot LOL. I don't quite follow, but I do think it's great that she keeps her own bank acct/credit cards/financial life/etc going.

• rredpenn

Got the last guest room set up with more clean beds ready! What a relief! Now I'm de-doggifying the cars bc who knows who will be using them over the next week or so.

• rredpenn

See how good I am at procrastinating the baking?? :)

• mamabear2014

I was going to bake cookies tomorrow, but I think I may be watching the manster...he is not feeling good.

• ladma
    I have 6 more gnomes to do. My yarn over finger is sore, and I have an arthritic nodule forming on my left index finger. The lass came to play this morning, I swapped cars with her mama, and we will take hers in for some maintenance. She came in, grabbed a collection of books, handed one to each of us and sat down to read!
  • rredpenn

Aw, hope Lil Bear feels better soon! He's at that age, isn't he, where they seem to get everything.

Lad, hope you can get them done! You've been cranking them out! Are they a surprise, or has your lass/D seen them?

• rredpenn

And take care of that finger. You sure don't need that. My finger is worthless for so many things now... I couldn't even make the bed today. At least not my normal way. I have adapted to using my middle finger, which, come to think of it, is appropriate. LOL

• pickyvicky
    I could never successfully bake sugar cookies. There....I admitted it. Life is sweeter since I have a designated godchild who suffers the same affliction and brings a tray of professionally, awesome goodness to the family Christmas Eve. We’re all safer for it.
  • rredpenn

Licksch, small, sort of inexpensive item ideas for my adult kids' stocking:

2 pr socks, 2 little flashlights for the glove boxes, tiny super magnets from the hardware store, 2 lip balms, hair/toothpaste lid catcher for a drain (their powder room sink trap is broken, so it has an open gaping hole), a brand new, sharp and user-friendly potato peeler (guess who got stuck peeling potatoes for Turkey Day with their sorry peeler?), Little Trees car air fresheners, a few spice blends from a store that makes their own, a bottle of small batch Whatsthisheresauce made in Wisconsin (I tried it, and OMG! worth a little splurge!), travel size fancy hair products (obtained from a hotel, but still unopened! LOL), and probably some sort of candy they'll like (dark chocolate?). All those things are for them both, and will go in one stocking. About 20 bucks each. The Worcestershire sauce was the big ticket item--10 bucks. LOL I might spring for the little single serving Bailey's Irish Cream bottles-- they come in a 4 pk.. Those are fun to take with when hiking in the mountains in winter for your thermos of coffee, right? :)

• marrymaid
    On our road trip today I counted 52 hawks and 2 buzzards and I wasn’t looking using my eagle eye.
    Although I am feeling sorry for OH’s bad knee ( surgery in Jan.), I find him sitting on the bench in the pharmacy area when he insists on shopping with me, a good thing.
  • ladma
    D1 saw them when I first started the gnomes, she grabbed some of my corks and crocheted herself a set!
  • fissfiss
    Better hope he does not discover the electric cart.
  • marrymaid
    Fiss, he has threatened but where we go, they are usually occupied.
    Another highlight of the day, our toilet seat cra**ed out. Another is on order. Merry Christmas.
  • rredpenn

That is when I knew I had to do something about the hip... I couldn't even navigate a store without sitting down a minute, and even that didn't really help.

I am glad he is doing something about it, MM. He will wonder why he didn't do it sooner.

Need help with a Houzz order? Call us at 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun)