Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sureshcalifornia

Need help to match area rug to the leather cream couch & coffee table.

sureshcalifornia
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
I have returned 3 are rugs because they were not matching the cream leather sofa and coffee table. I want to have contemprory style. There is wall to wall carpet in living room. It is stained and hence area rug is a must. I have attached the photos. Will this area rug in the link match?
Eclipse 601-100 6'7" x 9'6" Cream Rug · More Info

I was planning to use this area rug and add color by using colored pillows and wall hangings.

Comments (103)

• Chromatic
    9 years ago
    good price, wont dominate room.
  • sureshcalifornia
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Based on the suggestions I see in this discussion, I see there are 2 distinct approaches. Some of them suggest neutral or non dominating area rug along with brighter and more colorful assent items. The other approach is get a pop with bold and colorful area rug. Now I am torn between the 2 approaches. :-)
  • PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    9 years ago
    Going neutral is a good option because it allows you to easily change color schemes as frequently as you'd like. However, a lot of people fail to realize that good design doesn't mean everything needs to match perfectly. The area rug doesn't not need to be the exact same color as the sofas that are in the room. The sofas are a neutral color and neutral means that it can easily coordinate with anything. No matter what option you go with, it will look great! Matching too much can sometimes lead to poor design. Just make sure your rug is of good quality and has a pattern that will add some pizzazz to the room!
    sureshcalifornia thanked SoCal Contractor
  • PRO
    Rebecca Mitchell Interiors
    9 years ago
    Hi Suresh - I'm not sure I understand your question regarding the rugs. Can you please clarify? This is the first rug I suggested. The other colour version is also very nice.
  • sureshcalifornia
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Rebecca,
    yes.
    Both are similar. One has orange in it and the other brown, So I wanted to find out if you infact suggested orange one because of the orange assent I liked,
    If you suggested the brown one, can I still use orange assent with the brown one.
    Though both are above my budget, I am still debating. The Segma reflection rug is out of stock.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    I'm not sure I suggested the orange version as well but I do like both. I think that you should opt for a wool rug over any synthetic. It will look and feel much better and last longer. Would you consider something like this: SKU #: RYR3336 on Wayfair? It has the colours you seem to like, is modern and geometric and $414 for an 8x10.
    sureshcalifornia thanked Rebecca Mitchell Interiors
  • Kathleen Marineau
    9 years ago
    To replace the one coffee table, you could pick up two or three (I'd go with 3) smaller round tables which could double as foot stools. I'd window shop the import stores such as Cost Plus and Pier 1 for ideas and sales. By not having the single table focus, you'll have more choice in rug color and pattern.

Don't forget, Lowes and Home Depot have area rugs on display and periodic sales.
    sureshcalifornia thanked Kathleen Marineau
  • sureshcalifornia
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Rebecca, This looks really good. With several colors in it, it may allow more freedom in changing color schemes of assents. So the coffee table you suggested (magnussen) would you think will still match this rug?
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    I'm glad you like it. Yes I think the coffee table and the rug go perfectly well together with the sofa. See below.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    These cushions might also work nicely: SKU #: CHY2898 on Wayfair. But I would recommend getting the rug and them purchasing some cushions from local stores that you can easily return. This way you can get the best colour/combination. Hope this helps. Good luck and post the results!
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Suresh - if you do end up going with my recommendations, I would be most grateful if you could post a review on my Houzz profile indicating how I helped you. I'm trying to expand my online design business and such a review would illustrate that I can indeed assist clients off-site. Cheers! Rebecca in Montreal.
  • sureshcalifornia
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I will surely do that. Thanks. Wish you all the best and hope your business expands in the way you would like to.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Thanks Suresh!
  • sureshcalifornia
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    What about shedding problem of this area rug? I see reviews saying that it sheds a lot even after several months?
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Wool rugs can sometimes shed for a while - regular vacuuming is required. However, I looked at Wayfair reviews of this rug and nobody mentions shedding...?
  • sureshcalifornia
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I saw the review in Amazon. I have cut and pated the review below.

"This rug looks exactly as shown in the picture, it is thick, and of relatively good quality. The only reason I am not giving it 5 starts is that it sheds quite a bit. Granted, it sheds less than the other 2 rugs I have bought at the same time, but 3 weeks later, after about 15 rounds of vacuuming, it still fills my vacuum canister. Hopefully shedding will subside at some point...

And editing the review after 4 months. The rug sheds as badly as it was in day 1. The whole house is full of its shedding- and that while we vacuum at least every 2 days. We decided to throw it away."
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Not sure what to tell you. Surya is a good make I've used often. Wayfair reviews were good. Maybe this one got a bad rug?!
  • sureshcalifornia
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I know. I was happy when I saw the design. But when I saw the review I am kind of disappointed. By the way the manufacturer is Rizzy right. I did not see Surya name there.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Yes, Surya might have been another one I recommended earlier. Oh dear. If I see something else I'll send it to you.
  • Chromatic
    9 years ago
    This is not that hard. Go to Home Depot with one of your cushions from the sofa and pick out a rug if you're not comfortable shopping online.

Once you have the rug, get the tables, then the art, then the pillows, then paint.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    What about this one Suresh? Not wool. Great reviews. Great price. $327 Wayfair
    SKU #: FV17586
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Or this one? SKU #: SAMS1102
  • michellestern
    9 years ago
    Cut out the carpet into a big size square and fill it with parquet floors (or fake parquet) or any dark floor...then add a square or rectangular shape coffee table...will look amazing!
  • sureshcalifornia
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I like FV17586. Please see this and let me know your honest opinion.

http://www.wayfair.com/daily-sales/p/Area-Rugs-Under-$250-Narva-Brown-Rug~TYX1988~E11575.html
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    I'm not crazy about the Narva Brown Rug - I find it looks kind of 80's. Sorry!
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    But if you like it then get it. You're the one who lives there!
  • sureshcalifornia
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for your honest opinion. :-) I think you are right.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Go for the FV17586.
  • sureshcalifornia
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes, I will go for that rug along with Sotto-Coffee-Table. Thank You!
  • sureshcalifornia
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi Rebecca, how is it now? I need to now decide what light lamp I need to keep on the side of sofa. The corner already has the floor lamp as shown in the picture. Also need to decide a picture or wall art or a Skyline photo on the top of love seat and also the cushion colors.
    Need to decide on a matching TV table or entertainment center. The current one is not contemporary style. Also please let me know if the club chairs in the corner are two dark; if need to have a lighter color club chairs or if some design is required on the club chair.
    Need to decide on cushion colors.
  • sureshcalifornia
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The picture with entertainment center is attached here.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Hey Suresh - it is starting to look good! I would go with monochromatic throw cushions in beiges and perhaps a small black one. Look up coffee table and see if same company makes tv units. Club chairs look good but why are they so far? Re artwork what do you personally like? Abstract? Skyline?
  • sureshcalifornia
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Rebecaa tha rug and coffee table was good suggestion by you. I really like them. Thanks to you.
    I had to keep the Club chair in the far there because there is passage from the front door. So as soon as we enter from the front door we enter a small passage of 4 feet wide and then when we enter the living room we see the back of the club chair if I keep them closer to the other sofa and the corner becomes a empty space.
    Regarding the art work I am ok with either as long as it looks good and goes well with the rest of the things in the Living room.
    Regarding the TV unit, do I need to go for cream color or beige or dark brown or black or any other color suitable?
  • Chromatic
    9 years ago
    The chairs would look better facing the loveseat. I think there's room. Try it and put up a picture. You can put something else over there in the corner.

What's wrong with the TV unit? It looks great. You need end tables more than a TV unit.
    sureshcalifornia thanked Chromatic
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Hi Suresh - glad you are pleased. I was going to suggest exactly what @chromatic proposed above - move the two club chairs so that they face the loveseat - this will create a nice conversation/sitting area and since they are not too large so shouldn't be in the way. Re that empty wall where chairs were - perfect place for mirror/artwork/small console table. Re artwork I'm going to post some suggestions that I made to a client who was doing their basement in similar palette. If any of them appeal let me know and I'll tell you where to find them.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Re tv unit, stick with same colour wood as coffee table.
  • sureshcalifornia
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks Rebecca and chromatic. I will move those club chairs as suggested.

Regarding the art work you have shown are beautiful. I think they relate to NY city right?. Ours being San Francisco, I was wondering if it has to be something related to San Francisco... I may be wrong though..

Regarding TV console, someone was saying for contemporary styling, the TV unit made of wood will not be a good combination. Is it right? Again not sure,

Do I need a side table between the sofa and love seat. I have a floor lamp there already in picture. Or do I need a side table on the other side of Sofa?
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Look at art.com and allposters.com for art work including San Francisco photos or paintings.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    You don't need side table where floor lamp is. Possibly other side of sofa.
  • sureshcalifornia
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I can move the club chairs to face the love seat. They are very uncomfortable to sit and I am returning them. Please suggest some other chair to suit the rest of the things in the room.
  • sureshcalifornia
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Will this chair look good instead of those club chairs?
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S89861010/
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Hi Suresh - I'm not loving either. I think you need something with a pattern in fabric but not that style. What about something like this - in the same budget from Wayfair ?( http://www.wayfair.com/InRoom-Designs-Fabric-Slipper-Chair-AC7214-IRD1215.html).
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Or this - http://www.wayfair.com/Wildon-Home-®-Contrasting-Velvet-Chair-013154-CST9027.html
  • sureshcalifornia
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    First on is beautiful. I like the pattern in the first one. Do we get something in similar pattern buy prefer it with arms..
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Look at Wayfair I'm sure you will find something in similar pattern with arms.
  • Wendy Wells
    9 years ago
    I think you need some contrast. I had a problem buying an area rug and bought carpet tiles from FLOR, they have a huge selection of tiles that you can mix and match, colors and even textures

Good luck
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    @toniandsam - he now has a rug (see photo above) and is looking for an armchair... Suresh you should probably start a new forum or you will confuse people!
  • sureshcalifornia
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ok I will start a new one.
Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!