Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nasafemme

How do I make my family room more cozy?

nasafemme
12 years ago
Our space is 28' by 14'. The off-white couches must stay as they are relatively new. We don't want any window treatments as we live in the woods and have no privacy issues. What wall color would complement the oak trim and floors? What sort of area rug(s)? The white table and chairs are temporary until we figure out what to do with the space. Please help!

Comments (64)

• feeny
    12 years ago
    Let me add one more vote for keeping those white walls, which look so beautiful against the wood trim. And I love the white sofa and lack of curtains too. I would add warm colored oriental carpets--not fussy floral ones, but more geometric, kilim, tribal patterns, with some cushions on the sofa that are made from pieces of old kilim rugs. This is a beautiful space and you don't want to spoil its best features in the process of making it warmer.
  • inkwitch
    12 years ago
    More: Just because the room is rectangle doesn't mean the furniture has to be lined up. You can angle the sofa to observe the TV. You can angle the rug, too, if it's not too big. Not sure that coffee table is right for that space. Something longer and narrow to eliminate the necessity of endtables. You need a place to put glasses, books, popcorn bowl available for the full length of the sofa. A coffee table in metal or something simple in wood so you can put your feet up while watching TV.

Get rid of the torchier (a useless substitute for ceiling spots) and end table/lamp. One of those long arched floor lamps with a metallic globe at the end would be stunning and fit your decor.

I do love your sparsity of furniture. You could use a chair with the chaise. This space will not support a sofa and a chaise; too much bulk. That chaise needs to be turned 180 degrees to face those wonderful windows, and matched with a chair and a round coffee table. You have enough rectangular and square furniture. The chaise should have its own little side table, something exotic like a ceramic stool -- you see them in a wide variety of colors which would fit in. (It will be tempting to do a white one!) If you need more surface to sit something, get a tray with sides (in case you turn over a glass) for the chaise.

Since you want to focus on the view, not the wall (which is too short for much anyway), that might be a great location for the table & 2 chairs -- morning coffee, evening aperitifs -- with a (narrow) floating shelf (hi-gloss white? wood?) running from door to wall for momentos, ceramics, leaning photos, what have you, with artwork on the wall. Change the chairs to something more comfortable (upholstered, not leather; pick up some color/pattern) for long-term sitting. The table is good, what I can see of it. Good size, good lines, solid but not clunky.

Anyone who has the household that can support white as a decorative theme is to be admired and app
  • inkwitch
    12 years ago
    Anyone who has the household to support white as a decorative theme is to be admired and applauded. Most of us have husbands/kids/cats/dogs. Obviously, you liked it when you bought the house; painting might ruin it. Find some online programs that lets you alter a photo and try out different colors. I'll bet you stick with white. Good luck!
  • karicook
    12 years ago
    Check out Farrow and Ball paint. It's a bit more expensive than regular paint, but because it is pure pigment it gives you a very rich color. We have maple woodwork in our modern craftsman house (a 1912 renovated schoolhouse) and we painted our bedroom Hague Blue. It is absolutely cozy and beautiful. We have white chairs in our bedroom and the contrast is really pretty. Darker woodwork is harder with paint, but blues and warm neutrals tend to look best. We also are in the woods and have large windows that we don't like to cover! However, don't be afraid of window treatments; the fabric will really soften the room. You can just do simple panels that don't cover the windows much at all. I would also bring in some pendant lighting to bring the ceiling down, so to speak. It will cozy up your space. Try Lumens.com and circalighting.com. Good luck!
  • PRO
    B Fein Interiors LLC
    12 years ago
    I agree with Feeny and an earlier post (or 2?) about keeping the walls and trim as they are. Definitely add a rug - more kilim/flat weave/tribal looking than Oriental in my opinion.

Also, since the space is modern and your furniture is modern, I would add an arc lamp in the corner at the end of the sofa - I'd like to see something in that vertical volume of space. I've attached an image of an arc lamp with some texture - it will help bring the outdoors in.

Depending on your budget, the TV should be addressed in a way that will "clean-it up" Built ins/stone as some have suggested would be lovely. If your budget is modest, consider looking at Hooker Furniture's website (awful name for a company...) for corner TV storage furniture.

I also like the white table. Maybe add 4 Tolix Marais chairs from DWR (inexpensive and they add a shot of gray which is both modern and natural - particularly if you had the stone wall corner...

Good luck! : )
  • PRO
    Mona Ives
    12 years ago
    I agree with tribal oriental or kilim style rugs. They will help you introduce some color to your white furniture. White furniture plus white walls don't jive for me. I'd rather see you keep the walls white and get new furniture, but if you as you say - MUST keep the furniture, then put a warm but light beige or tan on the walls. I don't recommend faux finishes as they most often look dated. If you are willing to get some new furniture think about maybe some mid-century modern accent pieces that you might typically see in a house like yours.
  • maiseymouse
    12 years ago
    I love tribal...or craftsman style........you could incorporate earth tones and warmth into the room without putting it on the walls........the white totally works...and that is just a personal preference. It is such a gorgeous space it lends itself to all kinds of things. The most important thing is you have to define for yourself what YOU like.....and just go with it.
  • PRO
    MSheldon Designs, LLC
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Fabulous space. Another option is to use a super chic off-white area rug (shag) and add a lucite coffee table, petrified wood, metal or glass end table. Sheers are back and you could use them and still keep the view by stacking them outside the windows, just be sure and take them up high and use half rods not full. Linen or burlap panels are another option as they are "natural." I'm a Benjamin Moore paint gal and I love all their new neutrals. Here are some of my favorites for you to consider: 1557Silver Song, 2140-50 gray horse, HC-172 Revere Pewter,AF-100 Pashmina, HC-105 rockport gray, OC-14 Natural Cream, and 2138-60 gray cashmere is my favorite ceiling color (use with HC-172, AF-100, HC-105,and OC-14) If your wood around the windows is red then blues and greens will work well in this room. Stay away from yellows with red wood work. Choose fabrics for pillows that are neutral and textural, backs different from fronts, linens, burlaps,with great trim, vary sizes. Add some neutral throws too. Store in a huge natural laundry basket. A large painting(check out maureenengle.com and look at her birch tree paintings) or architectural piece for over the sofa, or just hang a large piece of driftwood over it. Consider nature for your accessories in this room, a large clam shell sitting on a couple of coffee table books. Floor lamp could be a wood tri-pod with burlap shade. Also love the idea of incorporating some stone into the room. For the corner, maybe a large architerural pot billed with tree branches from your own back yard. Also think about local artists, metal work, clay, furniture, etc. If you divisde the space consider doing a banquette on one end of the room with a small dining table and two chairs as an option to a game table. Banquettes are great for lounging when you have guests. You have a beautiful space and you just need to decide your personal style. Pull inspiration photos from magazines and haunt local flea markets. Enjoy!
  • Cindy Phillips
    12 years ago
    Disagree with the oriental rugs...pricey and too stuffy for such an organic space. I would prefer to see a sisal or jute blend area rug and then I'd probably wrap grasscloth wallpaper (or if you want to really make a statement, maybe a dark/rich wallpaper) on the sofa plus adjoining wall. I like natural woven shades outside mounted as high as you can (right below the clerestory window trim). They will stack up when open to fill in the gap between the header and top of the window and will integrate well. Something dark to reflect the floors: http://www.kirsch.com/products/natural-shades/colors.php. You've got a beautiful room. Stay neutral and let the outside be your main focus. Have you played with furniture placement? It looks like you could move the corner piece and ottoman under the window with three panels and then have a couple of chairs or the other matching piece of the sectional facing it. Try to get a conversation area formed. Tie everything together with a green mohair throw and have some pretty pillows made.
  • cmjackman
    12 years ago
    How about something w rich color to add dimension? Maybe like a Madeline Weinrib rug...Maybe one with a coral red from Tibetan collection.
  • appleapple
    12 years ago
    definitely get a rug. And while I can understand your aversion to hiding a great view, curtains don't have to be functional. Use them decoratively. There's not reason you couldn't place curtains above the windows, or draping down the sides. The extra fabric will add color and warmth to your room without obscuring your view. And if done right, curtains covering up plain wall space can give the illusion that your windows are even bigger than they are.
  • jansgirl
    12 years ago
    Are there any comments you like????
  • Robyn Mills
    12 years ago
    I guess you need to assess your home style and what you like. The white walls and furniture seem more modern or contemporary to me. If you like that style then white might be your thing. I have an issue with white walls. I think that everything you hang on white walls disappears for some reason. It seems more cool than warm to me but if that is what makes you feel good when you are in the space then I would keep them and just add some color in other ways. It is all about the feeling you want and what it is that makes you feel that way. Warmer colors are more cozy in my opion. I love the wood trim and floor. And rugs would definately help warm up the space and define it. Try putting the lounge on the wall where the sofa is now, using pillows across the back against the wall and place the sofa on an L-shape with the lounge, making a nice conversation space. I like the idea of 2 different rugs. Different yet similar in colors.
  • LEYA Matalas
    12 years ago
    what a beautiful view! I was thinking to bring a bit of that feeling indoors in a cozy way.. keep natural elements. since its long. one main feature carpet in a conversation area and then pull a colour from that carpet for a plain dining area carpet. When you measure for a carpet size go about 18" beyond that sofas. If you wanted a pattern I would try to encorporate a botanical pattern or element with a measure of white somewhere in it.
  • Marlise Sanchez
    12 years ago
    "Cozy" it is about special details, so I recommend you to have special attention to family memories, for example: portraits, art craft,and gifts...
  • Lisa McIlvoy
    12 years ago
    Keep with your own style! White walls, no curtains, spartan!!! I'd mount the tv on the wall to gain some space. Also, don't darken the space as you warm it! Use pops of color or interesting patterns. I love ths chevron rug (you could choose a brighter color):
    Lucy McLintic · More Info
  • Jade
    12 years ago
    I also disagree with oriental rugs--not suited to the space at all. I'd keep the white walls, no curtains, and go with a modern large shag or chevron pattern carpet. Some bright cushions on the sofa in a modern pattern would be great and can be seasonally changed up or whenever the mood strikes.

What the room is missing is artwork, accessories, and some plants. Get matching lamps for either end of the sofa. An entertainment unit that would hid the electronics would be helpful.
  • Karline Rousseau
    12 years ago
    Large potted plants would look great!
  • ksloggett
    12 years ago
    I love your space and the Frank Lloyd Wright style of the architecture. I see this space as an extention of the outdoors, inside...it is asking for reclaimed natural wood furniture, some plush chairs in natural flax linen..walls are great white especially with the wood trim and floor...natural skin rugs such as pony hair or cow/sheep skin would look amazing and modern...iron lamps with a modern architectural twist and the flat screen on the wall over a fire place ...check out Ralph Lauren Home or Restoration Hardware on line...jealous but inspired...this space is a breath of fresh air...if you must paint...think of a natural colour or texture for the walls...maybe only do one wall to make the room look more square...
  • ksloggett
    12 years ago
    As well ...to emphasize the windows, add linen side panels to soften but keep the wood exposed, you can close to create a cozy feeling at night
  • thelouvre
    12 years ago
    I'd add curtains to the far shorter wall and just make sure the go from wall to wall, ceiling to floor so the fabric pulls over the wall area and keeps the windows clear. Use some modern pattern with one bold color on white (black and white maybe). Same thing on the floor a geometric pattern with some bold colors. And get rid of the touchier light and get something with some wood or glass that has a nice shape and a big white drum shade.
  • jcmontagnoli
    12 years ago
    I too like the idea of framing the windows with panels that won't obscure the view or the beautiful wood. A pale green would compliment the green on the outside. If you are afraid of color on the walls how about a "sky" blue on the ceiling to create another tie to the outdoors? Keeping the color sceme white,brown,green and blue would be a very relaxing space. You can always add seasonal pops of color with accessories and pillows.

I dont like the TV as a focal point on that little wall. How about putting the sofas together in an L shape at the other end with the TV on the inside wall? Not sure if there is enough space.

I also like the idea of adding stone. How about stone on that little wall and add a wall fire place. Then use that side of the room as a reading area with similar style arm chairs,an end table with a lamp, and book shelves on that inside wall. Another option there would be a wooden game table. A nice spot to get away from the TV.

Tie the two spaces together with some house plans at the windows between them and chose three matching area rugs to ground each area. I would go with a more modern pattern in earthy tones or or mission pattern rather then oriental.
  • Margaret Kottelenberg
    12 years ago
    I would add color with rugs, throws, cushions and artwork. Some plants would be great as well. How about painting the ceiling a darker color and/or adding beams to the ceiling?
  • Amber
    12 years ago
    For cozy I'd paint the ceiling DARK dark brown dark green something dark it will lower the height making it seem more intimate taking the warm tones of the wood or the green of the trees outside. Next time your out at Starbucks or Banres and Noble see how they paint the different ceilings from bright for the open book spaces and check out areas to darker for the intimate table eating areas the ceilings are tall but you get cozy without adding lots of layers that can clutter a space.
  • nasafemme
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Wow! All posts were great-- so thoughtful and detailed. You've really given me inspiration, encouragement, and a lot to consider. When I look at pictures of interiors, I am drawn to the modern, spartan, clean look. To all who have suggested a stone wall or gas fireplace, the adjoining room has a two-story gray stone fireplace and just outside the room I'm trying to decorate is a massive gray stone retaining wall. I will definitely try different furniture arrangements as the chaise is actually two ottomans with a corner pillow and the long couch is really a 6-foot couch with an ottoman and moveable back cushions. I am definitely getting a rug or two. Just trying to decide between kilim or more abstract style. Colored throws and pillows of different size and textures are an easy fix once I settle on a rug or two. Love the suggestion for a corner arc lamp with a textured globe. The torchiere looked nice in my former house and I agree it has to go. I also intend to replace the TV stand which I bought with the TV and never got around to getting a really nice media center. Again, thanks for your kind and thoughtful comments!
  • LEYA Matalas
    12 years ago
    Heres my take on drapery there- If you dont need them for privacy or light diffusion, or as you say you dont want them and they would serve no function,->its over- dressing. Approach it like an enclosed verandah. Architecture&Designing should flow in tandem. Your tree canopy outside, functions as- light diffusion and privacy. Architects would applaud you for not rushing in with fabric. In treating it as a space that merges into nature, keep clean lines, softened nature colours,( think Ralph Lauren). Invest instead in your carpets, there are so many lovely ones to choose from. Monochrome naturals browns beige rusts moss etc.. The white sofa leaves you with an open palate, but keep a touch of white in your carpet. If more pizazz is your taste, go for weathered coloured kilms. Id not clutter the space,to achieve coziness but select carefully your decor pieces. I cant advise on paint until there is a carpet chosen, but keep it light, soft with a decorator nuetral, then chose a focal wall and apply a colour you love from the carpet selection. Dance a few linen and lush fabric cushions in that same colour against you white sofa. Id hide the TV or mount it, so electronics doesnt spoil the natural tranquility. Enjoy it.
  • PRO
    Stardust + Gravity
    12 years ago
    Don't paint anything, the space is fantastic. Your problem is mainly that the furniture is against the walls instead of brought together in the center of the room. Get a large rug and place the furniture on it. The table and chairs can be a separate zone off to one side, on their own rug if you wish. I personally wouldn't go with an oriental rug - any rug will work and your furniture is more contemporary. I think you should also pick pillows and throws that are a matching style (they look a little mismatched here). Make sure the textures are warm - fuzzy wool and cotton, not shiny silk.
  • nasafemme
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    @furpants - Good advice. I know the pillows are wrong. I had them in my former house which was traditional and a little more formal. I also had kitchen with teal countertops which was open to the family room. Hence the teal colored pillows. They are not right for the woodsy casual setting we're in now.
  • chindowney
    12 years ago
    Agree with much stated above with a special shout out to Leya, above.

Windows- At night I would expect these are just huge black (NOT COZY!) holes. If you wish to avoid window coverings focus on exterior lighting of plantings and/or garden art. Combinations of uplights and sidelights provide warmth, expand the feeling of interior spaces. (DO NOT rely on house-mounted floods for this purpose.)

Function - Larger table/ chairs for cards, games? Smaller for morning coffee or evening desert? Quiet nook for reading? Craft or project area? Daytime vs. evening uses?

Rugs- Two area rugs in colors which complement the dark woodwork and flooring.

Walls- a warm tan keyed to carpets to reduce contrast with dark woodwork. Consider a darker tone on one or bothof end walls.

Existing furniture- Group closer together by function and to create a sense of intimacy.
  • ladychieftain
    12 years ago
    I'd also think about putting some color on the ceiling, nothing too bold. I think some dressing for the windows, nothing to get in the way of the view but just enough so they look "finished." A warm area rug, maybe one wall with some color.
  • GizV
    12 years ago
    As a fan of color, I'd use a pale blue-gray or a neutral green on the walls. It wouldn't compete with your breathtaking views and would compliment your white furniture. I'm not a fan of coffee tables so use end tables and have a small lightweight ottoman with a tray as an extra table when needed. I wouldn't add art work to this space because of the views.

At one end I'd place a rustic 30" round table between two comfy leather chairs. A place to chat or read while enjoying the views. Floor lamps for lighting and two smaller chairs or ottomans to add seating as needed.

For the tv end, place the tv on a wood corner stand, maybe a built in that would be customized to how you use it, but most importantly to hide all the wires.
  • PRO
    Nurturing Your Dreams
    12 years ago
    I agree with the ksloggett about the side drapery panels. I also agree with placing the furniture in a more interesting arrangement. The room needs some pops of color. Why not bring the outside in with shades of green plants, pillows, rugs, and other decor items?
  • leknudsen
    12 years ago
    I love your room. If what you like is the wood, white, and minimalism adding busy rugs may be distracting, I find this type of room very relaxing because colors with patterns are too stimulting to my mind. I would add a flokati rug or other natural fiber to keep with the current ambiance of the room while adding some texture. IKEA has ones without the hide where they just use the wool so the animal isn't harmed. Or you could get a cow hide rug (the cows are eaten so we may as well use all of the animal). You could have a pattern then with natural colors of browns, blacks, and whites which would blend the wood and white beautifully in your room. I would add pillows in the tones that you see in the room but give them texture: off whites, tans, to brown faux fur, faux suede, etc. can give the feeling of warmth without a lot of clutter. Pick a piece of art for over the couch that doesn't clash with all the natural "art" you can see through the windows. Add a throw over the chaise and some neat lamps, either hanging or table lamps with shades that also add texture and keep in your natural color pallette. I like the idea of putting a large plant inside to bring the outdoor view in, but if you aren't good with plants then perhaps hang some strings of small mirrors from the ceiling in one corner so the look of the outside is reflected into your room. Review rooms in styles of mid-century modern and look at their interiors. Richard Neutra or Mies Van Der Rohe are wonderful designers of that time and may give you some wonderful decorating ideas. Good luck! :)
  • maiseymouse
    12 years ago
    wow.......just goes to show...there are a million ways to interpret "cozy". I think you have a encyclopaedia worth of idea here.....the fun part will be sifting through to find what works for you. My last suggestion...is identify what you love.........and just go with it. An incredible space like this just opens itself up to so many options...not matter the direction you go....you won't go wrong if you love it.
  • Laura Johnson
    12 years ago
    I wouls select a mushroomy taupe for the walls and then select a shade 2 levels darker and use that on your ceiling. I am a big fan of floating furniture away from walls and/or setting pcs. at 45 degree angles where possible. Short curtain rods of 14" or so and hang long fabric panel drapes to flank either side of your windows. While not functional, they will "frame" the view and help draw the eye to the windows.
  • ksloggett
    12 years ago
    lots to think about...but keep it your own..I could wake up to this space every day absolutely empty...undecorate is my ten cents worth
  • Helene Marie Taylor
    12 years ago
    This environment begs for a Dwell/Design Within Reach style look with palm plants for balance and have it be all about the view! Forget color on the walls but if you have to - Titanium Benjamin Moore...
  • PRO
    Jilson Modern Home Staging
    12 years ago
    No need to paint! Beautiful wood work, relaxing clean white and greenery all around. Ok so:

Rug-black and white zig zag, zebra, oriental, flokati, or my favorite ethnic kilim

Chairs- black Hans Wegner wishbone, black Thonet bentwood icecream chairs or Arne Jacobsen Series 7 charis in any color (with round table, you could even stay with the one you have if you don't need something bigger)

Pillows- Suzani, Ethnic, or Floral patterned, anything to break up the crispness of the chaise and walls.

Add some large plants, fig leaf ficus, mother in laws tongue or succulents and you are set!

The point is to keep your clean mid century aesthetic, but add pieces from different styles so it feels lived in, real and homey.

p.s. I really like that you are leaving the windows au natural, doing nature justice!
  • PRO
    Leya Matalas
    12 years ago
    did this while watching TV.. carpets will determine it I think..
  • PRO
    Cozy Casita
    12 years ago
    Leya, love your 'natural elements' idea and bringing in all that 'woodsy' warmth for coziness, without 'fussiness'. I also agree with those who have said that the TV should be hidden or moved. I'd definitely take it out of the corner it currently inhabits and, if it has to be wall-mounted, would use the wall that the sofa is sitting against, so as not to have the TV visible as soon as you enter the room. (Better still, hide it away inside a rustic looking cabinet ...one that looks as little like a TV cabinet as possible!)

I think I'd use the chaise on the narrow window wall, since there is no back at all to obscure the window. I'd use the sofa on the longer wall, pulled down, a little from where the chaise is at the moment and, as someone else suggested, angled into the room (looking towards the chaise.) This uses up a little floor space but allows for easier placement of additional pieces, such as the suggested arc lamp, or occasional/end tables. (It would also add a bit of visual width to the room.)

The current TV wall is the one I'd choose for a larger piece of artwork and/or a huge plant in a nice big container. Again, that appears to be the focal wall, so definitely shouldn't be used for anything as mundane and ugly as a television !

At the table end of the room, I think I'd go a little bigger, but lower, with the table, and use smaller scale, upholstered club chairs of some sort ... I'm thinking 'retro hotel lobby' for this end of the room ! ... A console, as has been suggested, and/or a nice old chest, to hold all the board-games and, possibly, a wall of books that extends up the free wall and over the window at that end of the room. I don't think I'd use a rug at all at this end of the room but love the ethnic looking examples other people have suggested.

Texture and colour can be added or subtracted as the fancy takes you, once you have a nice collection of throws and pillows to work with. A screen or two might work well, as extras in the s
  • ej610
    12 years ago
    I like the white walls. I also like the sparse furnishings, but it's not working with the classic style table and chairs you have. The white sofa and chaise are great, and because they are modern, work in a sparse room.

A rug would look nice, but be sure and keep any patterns simple. I would prefer a shag rug with white, brown and black colors in it. Bring in subtle patterns with pillows, but don't go crazy with them. A couple of textured pillows and a couple of patterned ones are all you need.

The lamps are too traditional to work in a modern space. Try ones that are more contemporary.

Add a large canvas print with a bold color you love over the sofa. The only places I would use color are in art and pillows, nowhere else. And only use one color. This will give you the minimal feel and ease you like.
  • Sara Charles
    12 years ago
    I would go with a warm color if you want to paint the indoors - go with like a rust tone - see
    Contemporary Weekend House Sugar Hill NH · More Info

You can also add a corner fireplace (instead of a TV)

I would say do a flokati type of rug (rather than a oriental rug )
    see
    Kelly Mack · More Info

Guest Bedroom in Modern Victorian · More Info
  • nasafemme
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    @ej610 - Thanks for the doable suggestions with a nifty visual to really help me see how it might look. The TV has to stay on that wall. It's the reason we didn't put a window there as we knew it would be the wall with the cable connection. I hate that it draws so much attention, but TV watching is the main reason for this room. I'm thinking of a nicer stand or perhaps an armoire, but I don't want a big clunky piece there. The table and chairs are temporary until I figure out what to do with that part of the room. I'm torn between a game table and chairs (visiting family likes to play board games and do jigsaw puzzles) or a reading nook with comfy chairs and accent table as I do a lot of reading.
  • ksloggett
    12 years ago
    with angled wall you could add a corner fire and mount the tv on the wall...window coverings will be beneficial for watching tv..to avoid the outside glare...your right...function must meet with design. Your room already has great design...but you have to live in the room and Love It....au naturelle...layering in too much will clutter up the space and distract from the beauty of the outside seen from inside the room.
    As an outside opinion, I do not see this space as contemporary at all....it hollars for natural elements and warm white and texture. It is truely the new breed of restored and reclaimed elements that send a very sophisticated eco and earthy design message..hope you go with your insticts with all of these "design" suggestions..afterall you chose this home because you love nature and all the beauty it has to offer both inside and out.
  • defarrell
    12 years ago
    I didnt read all the comments, so sorry if I repeat.
    I would put 2 rugs in. The one by the TV should have a lot of texture to it to make it feel cozy and inviting, and soften up the hard edges of the room. This one would be amazing: http://www.nanimarquina.com/en/products/rugs/little-field-of-flowers
    The other could be a little more subdued, since that seems like more of a business area. Or maybe bring in the outdoors even more with something like this:
    http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en&sa=X&biw=1440&bih=775&tbm=isch&tbnid=rW_QnZfICWfiXM:&imgrefurl=http://www.decodir.com/2010/06/8-creative-rugs-decorative-ideas/&docid=E8PdeL_1t1PHHM&imgurl=http://www.decodir.com/wp-content/uploads//2010/05/Woody-Wood-Round-Rug.jpg&w=550&h=366&ei=TXleT_jlFY67hAeR2oDBBw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=179&vpy=415&dur=8533&hovh=183&hovw=275&tx=163&ty=112&sig=112764779827736838527&page=2&tbnh=147&tbnw=192&start=21&ndsp=37&ved=1t:429,r:21,s:21
    I'd love to see neutral colored throw pillows and some throw blankets in the TV area too. Some baskets would keep with the feel of natural materials, and also add more color, storage and texture to the space. Maybe you could add a little bench/ottoman with space under it for baskets, and use that to store cozy throws, remote controls etc.
    If possible, switch the TV stand to something wooden - the current one seems a little out of place both in material and design. It also leaves all the cords etc visible. It would be great if it hid the cords and as much as possible other than the screen. Your eye is really drawn to the electronics, and they seem a little cluttered simply because the rest of the space is so clean and open.
    beautiful home. No matter what you do, it will be gorgeous!
  • nasafemme
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    @defarrell - great suggestions! Thank you! Love the "little field of flowers" rug. I'm beginning to see that warmth and coziness is more about texture than color and can be achieved with pillows, rugs, baskets, and throws as you've suggested. And this can all be done with a neutral palette. Thanks for you help and inspiration.
  • hockeymom
    12 years ago
    I love above idea of a stone wall in corner where tv is now. It's a bit of a bank buster .
    Try a rug to ground your space. Add a small fabric chair near the sofa for extra seating and to give a more conversational spot. I think you have lots of opportunity to add the drapes and NOT take away from the beautiful views. Hang your rods high above windows and be sure rods extend out well beyond the window case. It will add warmth and color if you so choose. Pattern would also add more to the design of the space. This is a beautiful canvas just play with it till you find a fit. I would also work on the lighting. Seems a bit scarce and the two pc I see dont work well together. I would also look for a larger coffee table. Something more rustic and chunky. Make one if you cant find one you love. Beautiful Space. Lots of great ideas here. I would love to see what you do with it when your done. If any of us are ever done with a project. :)
  • PRO
    Leya Matalas
    12 years ago
    I liked dfarrell's ideas! - the leave carpet is fun. I saw a room with those rugs today- not in leaves but similar-they felt a bit lumpy underfoot, also the one I saw was white felt. better not have kids for that one. I also saw this one- which is way deeper and thicker than it appears in the pic.
  • PRO
    Committed Photography, Inc.
    11 years ago
    I agree with the above comments that larger art piece above the sofa would go very well. We do custom art so by all means please look at our site. Everything is made to measure and can be giclée printed, stretched on canvas, plexi mounted and also printed on matt and metallic paper.

Here are a few recommendation but if you have anything specific in mind we are always glad to do the searching for you. Enjoy!

http://bit.ly/Ceri_Jones-Colours_Of_The_Forest
    http://bit.ly/Peter_Leeming-Early_Morning_Light
    http://bit.ly/Peter_Leeming-Silver_Birch
  • PRO
    Top Ambiance
    11 years ago
    I would add a modern white flufly rug,to keep it clean and modern.
Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz