0

what is the material used on ceiling?

Muhammad Hassaan
is it paneling?
haverford renovation · More Info

Rasmussen / Su Architects
    It is - from Nantucket Beadboard. Available options can be viewed at http://www.beadboard.com/products/SheetProducts.html.
    Muhammad Hassaan thanked Rasmussen / Su Architects
  • lesliekatzman

Which nantucket beadboard material did you use? MRI substrate?

Rasmussen / Su Architects

I believe it was MRX. Even though it was protected it still needed to be exterior-rated.

• lesliekatzman

Thank you- when I called nantucket beadboard they said the MRX and the PVC tend to expand quite a bit in exterior applications. You are supposed to leave a 3/4" gap between the panels or something crazy like that. They really liked the MRI - but can't recommend any of their products for exterior use. I still think their beadboard can be used in mild climates like mill valley and under a cover. Sounds like you haven't had any issues with the beadboard so that's good news!

• lesliekatzman

By the way- I tried the Hardi beadboard for our soffit and it was terrible looking so we are going over it with the Nantucket.

Rasmussen / Su Architects

When I talked to them (about a different project) they told me that the PVC was their only true exterior product but that movement definitely is an issue. They said the MRX would not hold up well if unprotected and exposed to the elements but they did not say that it would move much. I think a porch ceiling, which definitely gets a range of temperatures and humidities, but is not directly exposed to the elements, is in line with their intended use. But recheck with them to make sure! And good luck!