Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joannalynnwerner

Plant suggestions?.

joannalynnwerner
9 years ago
15' x 5' the fountain is 5 feet tall. What should we plant?

Comments (8)

• joannalynnwerner
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you! Didn't even think of that. We are in zone 6b and this area gets about 5 to 6 hours of sunlight. I like to garden.
  • Jessica Kerry Mack
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    So are you thinking annuals, perennials, shrubs, bulbs, or some combination of these? Do you have any allergies, pets, or small children to worry about since I would avoid poisonous things like Foxglove or Castor Bean plants if you have pets or children.

Also, since there are what appear to be basement windows is there any concern about plants blocking the light from those windows? That may play into the height of what you want in the garden.
  • PRO
    Creative Garden Spaces
    9 years ago
    Begin by establishing a foundation, the bones if you will. These plants are evergreen or deciduous but, will provide structure and interest in the bed year round. Also, try to select dwarf varieties or plants that will only fill the space (maximum 5' wide). Some evergreens would be Boxwood or Encore Azaleas (they rebloom in late summer/fall) or Euonymus. You could use something taller at the right side of the fountain like Lilac (Syringa 'Boomerang') OR Hydrangea 'Little Lime'. Or something tall and narrow so it won't cover the basement windows like Sky Pencil Holly.
    Once you have decided on the "bones" then you can fill in with perennials and grasses like Brunnera, Dwarf Fountain Grass, Dwarf Asters...
  • joannalynnwerner
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes we have small children. No pets. I like the idea of the "bones" first. Open to bulbs as well.

For example, if we do boxwoods on either side of the fountain. Would should go in front? Something with flowers would be nice like an azalea.

Would like he basement windows covered. We are also going to add low voltage lighting to the area. The fountain has lights in the water basin too.
  • Jessica Kerry Mack
    9 years ago
    The area gets too much sun for azaleas to thrive - they prefer shady areas. Use a boxwood in front of each window for your evergreen and foundation. Be sure to plant it far enough away from the wall that it has room to reach it's mature size. It may look sparse to begin with but you'll have a much healthier plant as it grows - and grow it will!

Peonies were one of the most popular plants in a recent discussion here on Houzz, so I'd plant some peonies in front of the boxwoods to give you the blossoms you wanted.

I'd add a trellis on the brick for clematis or other vining plants to give the bed some height.

Plant your favorite bulbs around the bushes/shrubs in the back that way you have something in there that will bloom every year without having to disturb the roots of the shrubs by digging around them.

Use the front of the bed for annuals that you can change out as you wish. With 5-6 hours of sun I'd pick things like salvia which are sun and drought tolerant since it may get dry faster there. The salvia I've pictured here will do wonders attracting humming birds for the children to watch.

I'm glad you mentioned that you're installing lighting because that will exclude using light sensitive plants such as chrysanthemums in that bed - due to the lights the blooming cycle would get messed up and you wouldn't be happy with the results.
  • joannalynnwerner
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you so much, Jessica! I had Salvia last year from my son's preschool fundraiser and loved them! I LOVE all of your ideas! I hope to go shopping this weekend for the plants! Thanks again!
  • Jessica Kerry Mack
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    You're welcome! Please send photos once you have everything in! I'm looking forward to seeing it.

By the way, be prepared to plant and wait a year or two before you get the full effect. Initially the bushes will be small, the peonies usually take two years to establish before they will put out blossoms, and bulbs must be planted in the fall and won't be noticeable until the next spring. But once the garden is established I think you'll be happy with the results.