Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_123862

Landscaping around bay window

User
9 years ago
Hello. I am looking for advice for shrubs/plants in this garden surrounding my bay window. This is a west-facing garden area and I live in Ontario where the summer months are hot and fall months can be warm to quite cool. Any thoughts, ideas, advice would be most welcome! Thank you

Comments (10)

• hatetoshop
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    You might want to hide the pipes with some evergreens (boxwoods, globe cedars). Not all in a row, but staggered. Split the middle hosta in two and plant the second one on the right, so you have three circling the window. There are so many plants to choose from for the base of the window. I just created a new garden in my front yard and purchased all my plants from Loblaws -- they have some great prices (don't wait too long or the inventory will be gone).
    User thanked hatetoshop
  • Geneviève
    9 years ago
    More Hostas and a couple cedar
    User thanked Geneviève
  • Geneviève
    9 years ago
    look at this window
    Custom Homes by Reynolds Architecture · More Info
    User thanked Geneviève
  • Dee Cee
    9 years ago
    Pack out that border with some more hostas and lovely spikey architectural plants - don't forget a burst of colour but make it full and lush - it will look amazing :)
    User thanked Dee Cee
  • User
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for the input! I appreciate it!!
  • yvonnecmartin
    9 years ago
    The problem with hostas is that they melt away after frost. I suggest that you try something that will give you more winter interest. Is this garden in shade? If not, you could consider smaller spireas, boxwoods, or any number of evergreens. I expect that you would want something that comes up to the height of the window sill. You probably want something tall in front of the brick wall next to the deck. I really think that you would be most pleased to consult with an landscape architect for a couple of hours.
    User thanked yvonnecmartin
  • User
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I am a complete landscaping novice at best and have been searching Houzz for ideas. I generally know what I like but identifying those plants is the challenge.
  • laurakdesigns
    9 years ago
    What about some sea green junipers surrounding the window to form a background. (The low spikes ones). I think they're zone 3. Then layer something a little smaller in front, like a spirea or?..
    User thanked laurakdesigns
  • Wild Infusion
    9 years ago
    I would go and buy myself an A-Z in garden plants....this will always be useful and you will be able to reference it.... I have attached a couple of pics just to give you a bit of an idea...not exactly that I would have but you can choose your own colours and plants.. Have attached a pic of the plant book know to some as the plant bible...
    User thanked Wild Infusion
Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!