Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lyonsden811

Advice-dual dining room/kitchen

lyonsden811
5 years ago

I need advice on window treatment for this room and how to dress the room up to make what used to be a kitchen table look more like a dining room table. I love the table. Any tips to refinish it darker? Maybe new chairs? Note:We do not have a dining room or an eat in kitchen. So it would be a dual purpose room. (kids are older so that isn't a factor)

Comments (9)

• IdaClaire
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Pretty space! The chairs are a bit too country in my opinion, and I'd look for something more traditional with a lean towards transitional. The chandelier also seems a tad small.

Example of transitional chairs:

lyonsden811 thanked IdaClaire
  • katinparadise
    5 years ago

What a lovely home you have! I agree that changing the chairs out to an upholstered chair will give the room a more formal dining room feel. The table color seems fine to me.

Do you need window treatments for privacy or light control? Your windows are lovely so I hate to see you cover them up. Perhaps a simple roman shade would fit the bill without being too fussy.

• della70
    5 years ago

I would suggest a row of white sheers for the windows. They would let light in and give you a little privacy.

• PRO
    Elizabeth Minish Design
    5 years ago

What a lovely home!

I agree with those who think the table is just fine as it is. Also agree with the suggestion for an upholstered chair to up the comfort and look. It appears that your table and carpet are not centered under the chandelier. If this isn't possible (because you won't have enough space to walk around the table), think about a fixture that could be swagged to where ever the center needs to be. If the table lives most of its life as a round, then a square rug would be ideal, as suggested above, but the rug is very pretty and not the first thing I'd spend money on replacing.

It appears that you have roller blinds on your windows currently. Are these required for sun control or privacy? Sheers don't seem consistent with the other design elements of your home in my opinion, but any drapery treatment is going to cover up your windows since there is not any room for a stack back that is off the windows. Roman Shades that fit into the window frames would dress the window a little more formally and give the room a more finished look, but it is important to know what the goal is.

• lyonsden811
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We have super insulated cellular blinds really for sun and serious cold. So more for insulation. I love the light! I will get everything centered, probably off due to human error.I am excited that everyone thinks the table is fine, since it is beautifully made. I think I will start with new chairs! Thank you.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

I like the chairs. I would paint them black.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

I don't know why, but I see a green cabana stripe shade here.

• PRO
    Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
    5 years ago

If your goal is simply to dress up the room I would do a 2 with drapery panel either side of the window, printed fabric is very popular again now.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!