Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maria_kouri

Awkward family room window dilemma!

Maria Kouri
4 years ago

I need some advice on what to do on either side of the fire place. I tend to like things to be symmetrical and I am struggling to envision that with the window on the right side. Any thoughts??

Comments (17)

• auntthelma
    4 years ago

You can hang curtains on both sides to simulate symmetry.

If it were me, I’d set up the tv on an awesome chest or table in the alcove.

• MJ B
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Paint a mural, or hang a liked- sized picture on the opposite wall? A simple fix would be a blind that matches the wall. I think painting the whole wall a contrasting color would be great also.

• Maria Kouri
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I never thought about that! Thank you so much! :)

• wlallen57
    4 years ago

Hi, how about a low built in low cabinet / floating shelf on both sides of the fireplace. It looks like the bottom of your window is roughly 2 feet from the floor. 18 “ is the perfect height for a floating shelf.
    On the window side it place something tall on the cabinet/ floating shelf beside the window. On the other side it becomes a TV stand. Hope this helps.

Maria Kouri thanked wlallen57
  • claire_larece
    4 years ago

You can have etagere at both sides of the connecting with a console or have built ins. Add a mirror on the other side to mimic the window. To balance out the space.

Maria Kouri thanked claire_larece
  • emily katharyn
    4 years ago

I think a mirror would help to balance, I like symmetry also!

Maria Kouri thanked emily katharyn
  • girl_wonder
    4 years ago

What Claire said! ;)

• PRO
    Attaway Homes
    4 years ago

I like symmetry as well, and like the custom carpentry suggested by Claire Larece. If you aren't one to like built-ins, you could place a nice oversized chair with ottoman in the window corner (at an angle. Where do you plan on placing the sofa and television? That would help to be able to give more ideas.

Maria Kouri thanked Attaway Homes
  • Maria Kouri
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I've been thinking about putting the tv above the fireplace, but am absolutely willing to place it elsewhere if need be! We have a sectional couch that we've put in the center of the room for now but are still playing around with the layout.

The picture is fantastic and super helpful!!! Thank you!!!

• Wildcat Blue
    4 years ago

No TV over the fireplace EVER! My friends have that and after watching a movie there I have to come home and use a heating pad. Ugh

• PRO
    Studio TJP
    4 years ago

Window seat to the right and a built in cabinet to the left.

Maria Kouri thanked Studio TJP
  • partim
    4 years ago

Can we see a picture of the couch that you will be using?

• PRO
    Studio TJP
    4 years ago

The A-symetry works in this instance. It shifts the focus to the light and the windows.

Freeland Residence · More Info

• Maria Kouri
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes that makes sense now! Awesome. I will post a picture of the couch when I get home. Thank you all so much for the advice!

• felizlady
    4 years ago

The mantel is too high for the TV. Art would be much better over the mantel...a fairly large piece. You could have a bookcase or etagere to the right of the fireplace. I would use a wide console cabinet about 30” high in the large alcove to the left, with the TV on the top. If you are manic about symmetry, that could be a bit hard to get used to, but I think it would feel more relaxed. Symmetry is not possible on that wall.
    I prefer two full-size sofas rather than a sectional. I would place one against the wall facing the windows and the other facing the tv alcove, with a square 30” table at the l __ corner, with a table lamp on it. Two upholstered chairs could complete the conversation/TV corner if desired.
    The windows would all be treated the same, whether you choose draperies or drapery panels and light-filtering shades. I would put a love seat and another pair of upholstered chairs in a more intimate conversational arrangement there.
    Is the dining area part of this large room?

• claire larece
    3 years ago

Hi OP

What did you end up doing?

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!