Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vmiley21

Bathroom Remodel

Veronica
5 years ago
I’m looking to update my bathroom. I love grays and whites. Looking for some suggestions.

Comments (10)

• felizlady
    5 years ago
    Rather than trying to “update” the bathroom, I think a total redesign is more practical. The whole room needs work to bring it out of the 80’s.
  • PRO
    DAB Interior Design, Inc.
    5 years ago

I have been a " Five Time Nationally Award Winning Architectural Interior Designer" for

35 years and I am an expert in Luxury Baths. You first have to give more information as to what level of change you are looking to do? I would find it impossible to make this a grey and white bathroom with any fixtures you currently have. Whirlpools and glass block have been out for at least 25-30 years. Today people are using beautiful free

standing tubs.

So trying to change the tile or vanity would just be needlessly spending

on something that will never give you the look you desire.

I would gut the whole bathroom, perhaps have a professional relay it out, in a more

up to date design, perhaps moving fixtures around but without a floor plan, window placement, drains etc., it would be impossible to say for sure, how to proceed.

The toilets ,shower equipment today conserve water and use less than 2 gallons to flush.

Your current toilet probably uses double plus so you're wasting water and my guess

is the flushing of the toilet is much worse and gets clogged up, way more often than

one that is up to date, by today's standards. Some models today actually clean

themselves.

Shower are much more open and have more equipment available that has many

more features. That needs to be reworked. Of course get rid of glass block,

I haven't seen used for years. The vanity also has to go as it is a style that really

isn't used any longer .

Lighting is also critical to get the ambience and effects you desire. Not to mention that today, we use LED lighting, which is much more efficient, each bulb should last 25,000

hours, not to mention your electric bill will go down.

If you would like some help, we redesign spaces, long distance, select materials and help you select by interviewing, checking local references, the best local contractors to do your job for you plus provide you with very detailed Architectural Drawings for your contractor

to complete the project without any problems. If you have any interest contact me at

doris@dabinteriordesign.com.

Award Winning Bathrooms · More Info

East End Avenue, One Bedroom Renovation · More Info

If you go to my Houzz site and look at the type of

plans I am referring to, for the above bath, as well as before

and after shots, but even those aren't the complete

set that created the above bath, which "Won an National Award

this Year in the Small Bath Category." Please look through

my Houzz Site and you can see my other work?

• Bri Bosh
    5 years ago
    Budget?
  • Sigrid
    5 years ago

Since you have beige/red/brown tile and vanity, gray and white are not going to look good unless you demolish existing tile, which will be pretty close to a gut rehab, so I'd recommend looking at the layout and doing a total redesign.

If you aren't planning to replace the tile, then you want to find a color that will go with the existing decor. I'd paint the walls cream.

• Storybook Home
    5 years ago
    Please keep that amazing glass shower enclosure! It’s so cool looking! Of course, I tend to like vintage design so...
  • Mark Brunner
    5 years ago
    Get rid of everything but the glass block shower. Make it your inspiration!
  • Veronica
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks for the suggestions. I do plan on re-tiling everything. The area is about 9 x 12. I would love to keep the tub but if a freestanding one is better I will do that. I’m definitely planning on changing the fixtures. I just need some ideas on a picture of what the bathroom could be based upon my dimensions.
  • Steven
    5 years ago
    I would consider removing the step in your bathroom in your update. It could be a tripping hazard but I don’t know. Since you’re choosing to retile it seems like you’re leaning towards a near full demolition. If you’re leaning towards modern, I find all the curves in your bathroom are a nuisance. However, if you’re intending to keep a more traditional style, you may just retile everything as is, and stain the vanity a dark almost black colour...
  • silviakunst
    5 years ago
    Yes to ripping out the dark tiles ...all white or grey ...and I agree with Steven ..the vanity needs to be black ! Leave the glass enclosure ...it's old fashioned ..but looks good in your space ..and with everything lighter ..it will look modern ..ish