Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan_liles

Benefits of Interior Designer?

Susan Liles
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I am planning a master bath remodel and have gotten estimates from 3 general contractors. But I don’t have a good idea of what products to select (tile, vanity, shower hardware, etc. ) I’m not good with putting a design scheme together. All of the contractors have their list of preferred vendors, but I’m still at a loss as where to start. I’m considering doing a consult with an interior designer. Has anyone done this and were you pleased? Don’t you end up spending more money overall: designer fees plus the contractor costs? Thanks for any feedback.

Comments (11)

• suedonim75
    5 years ago

In your case it would be money well spent. You don’t want to get it finished and Realize you made a huge mistake and hate your choices.

Susan Liles thanked suedonim75
  • Jane Doe
    5 years ago

We have a large living room (big and tall); we hired an interior designer to do a layout and decor. I'm so glad we did because I never would've figured out the right scale or color/textures to use in the room. I imagine having someone help you with a bathroom remodel would be a huge help in pulling ideas and a vision together.

Susan Liles thanked Jane Doe
  • caligirl5
    5 years ago

For my kitchen/bath remodel, I hired an hourly designer ($250/hour in HCOLA). I had inspiration pics for what I wanted and material samples, but wasn't sure exactly what to pick to put it together. She walked through it all with me in 2 hours and helped me finalize the finishes and paint colors. The project was just too expensive for me to risk having it come out looking wrong, so I felt like it was worth it to have professional help.

Susan Liles thanked caligirl5
  • Storybook Home
    5 years ago
    I finally bit the bullet and contacted one. I know what I like. But I’m not good at combining what I like in the most pleasing or architecturally correct way. Also, hiring people/ordering supplies is a PITA. You’ll find out the contractor isn’t licensed or doesn’t answer your calls. Half your order will ship and the other half will get cancelled because the product line has been discontinued. Headaches headaches headaches. A designer will get the look right, hire the right people, and order the right product.
    Susan Liles thanked Storybook Home
  • Manon Floreat
    5 years ago

I would most certainly hire a designer for a bath or kitchen remodel. No doubt about it. They have expertise, credentials and resources in that area that I don't. As professionals (quality ones at least), they keep up on the latest developments in design and will know which ones are applicable to your bathroom - based on how you live and what your needs/preferences are.

Be sure to do your due diligence when hiring, because not all professionals are equals. Know your budget, interview, make sure they have a strong portfolio with bath designs you like, check references, verify licenses/credentials and get an itemization of exactly what he/she will do for you and how much it will cost.

It will add to your project cost. But in my opinion, the additional cost is worth an end product that is flawless. The alternative is kind of a gamble - unless you really know what you're doing. Take a look at the many posts here on Houzz to give you an idea of the unfortunate possibilities.

Susan Liles thanked Manon Floreat
  • cpartist
    5 years ago

In the long run a good designer will save you money and aggravation.

Susan Liles thanked cpartist
  • PRO
    User
    5 years ago

I would suggest working with a Kitchen and Bath Designer. It’s a sub specialty of interior design. Kitchens and Baths are the most restricted areas in the home as far as codes go for spacing and materials. It’s better to get things correct the first time.

One example would be the tile for your showers and floors. There is actually a rating for slipperiness that determines if a tile is suitable to be used in a bath. Plus there is a rating for resistance to wear. Then there is the variability of a tile pattern, like one that mimics stone. Then there is the porosity rating. Only lastly is there the subjective, “is it pretty”, and “does it work with all of the other elements chosen”. You could select some very pretty tile, but if it’s too slippery to be used, too soft so that shoes scratch it, and is so porous as to need constant sealing and maintenance, it won’t matter that it is very pretty.

I have had people who go on vacation, and hand me the keys, and I project manage the whole thing as their representative. They miss all of the mess, and come home to the best. I solve the problems that arise, and only bother them if it's a Pick an A or B solution that needs their input. Like anything, the services provided are tailored to the job needed. Some people just want assistance with ideas to improve a bad layout. Some want hand holding through product selections. Some want it all.

Susan Liles thanked User
  • PRO
    LM Interior Design, LLC
    5 years ago

Hello Susan. As a Certified Kitchen & Bath Designer (as well as a highly-trained interior designer), I can honestly say that this would be money INVESTED, not wasted. The value that I bring to my client's projects saves them money in the long run, by helping them avoid costly mistakes. One of the main functions of an experienced design pro - in addition to creating floor plans & budgets - is to listen to what a client wants & to advise them appropriately. That advice includes hiring the best labor to execute the project as well. So go for it! The only cost to you would be for a consultation. I haven't met a homeowner yet, who felt that it wasn't worth it. The best of luck to you and if you're in NJ, feel free to give me a call.

Susan Liles thanked LM Interior Design, LLC
  • Sandra Martin
    5 years ago

Because I have gained experience with house design over the years this last reno I hired a color designer, not an interior designer. The reason is that for some reason I’m not coordinating all my colors very well lately and I have to say, she was worth every dollar! She even showed me how to bring out some of the color in my art with cushions and where to place the artwork in terms of color, which pieces would look best in each room, in specified groupings etc. While I didn’t always agree, mostly I did, and I am so very satisfied with the outcome.

i say, know your strengths and where you need help. If you need help with design and color, hire a well known professional.

Susan Liles thanked Sandra Martin
  • PRO
    LM Interior Design, LLC
    5 years ago

Sam, I want to thank you for writing such a well-informed & articulate response to Susan. It's wonderful when our clients see the value in what we do. You described several scenarios that have occurred on my projects. I work hard for my clients, as do all seasoned professionals.

Susan Liles thanked LM Interior Design, LLC