Your shopping cart is empty.
4loveofthetruethegoodthebeautiful

Big blank dining room wall

We recently painted our copper-colored dining room balanced beige and added a light fixture. But this wall - which is huge - is just too boring. We have a large family photo on the adjacent wall we don’t want to compete with, but we need something. Welcoming ideas! Sconces with art in the middle? Four images in a square pattern? A triptic? Something organic? I have looked and looked for images that seems to make sense here and have found it yet. We live in the (currently frozen tundra of) Illinois, not by water, and so need something that works for all four seasons. Thanks in advance!

Comments (36)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER

The first thing I would do is TURN that table! Nobody can back up at the china cabinet. Add a lower shallow console at the end, avoid unsupported art if possible. More pictures, some dimensions of the dining space, and photos of adjacent areas will get you better help. Draw the space, add the inches.

Can the china move to the adjacent end???

4loveofthetruethegoodthebeautiful thanked JAN MOYER
  • K Laurence

Does the buffet fit there? lookd tight there , or maybe try turning your table ? Otherwise, art , or a grouping of something you love, art doesn’t have to work for all seasons or location , e.g., I live at the beach but have no coastal themed art in my home, just pieces I’m drawn to.

4loveofthetruethegoodthebeautiful thanked K Laurence
  • grapefruit1_ar

Maybe it is just my monitor but your light fixture looks very white, the walls look gray, your chairs look beige/tan, and the carpet looks somewhere in between. I think you need color. Maybe your artwork and new curtains would rectify that. But, to be honest, the chair color would really bother me or the light fixture would have to change.

4loveofthetruethegoodthebeautiful thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER

The edge to edge carpet in a dining space is a bigger issue.............. The chandelier is crystal, not a "color" and I am certain looks warmer when lit. Turn the table first.

• 4loveofthetruethegoodthebeautiful

Grapefruit1_ar - you’re totally right. Thanks have a hodgepodge of things we’ve put together from previous living arrangements, and the colors aren’t quite right. I was kind of hoping that through art I could tie it all together, but you’re totally right! I was disappointed that the light fixture looks as white as does, but it does look warmer when it is on.

Jan Moyer, we’d love to do hardwoods. The previous owners had installed carpet with the copper-colored walls, and we don’t have the budget right now to redo all our floors, so we have to live with it for now. The China cabinet could go on adjacent wall (the one we’re looking at in the photo).

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner

Yes, please turn the table.

There's lots of different art that can be selected either abstract or realistic.

Always nice IMO to have art with a single point perspective for rooms like this.

4loveofthetruethegoodthebeautiful thanked BeverlyFLADeziner

This is an image with the table turned.

Do you all think the current chairs could somehow be workable? If not, what would you choose?

• PRO
    Carrell Design And Staging

Why not add a buffet or side board on that blank wall? I would would then hang a large piece of art with large wall sconces on each side of the art work. As for the chairs - if they are in good shape, have them reupholstered. Then take two of the chairs and place them on other side of the new sideboard. Ditch the plant on the left.

4loveofthetruethegoodthebeautiful thanked Carrell Design And Staging

Carrellhouse, I would be delighted to remove the plant from my husband’s bachelor pad :)

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC

My initial though, without measurements, is to put the buffet on the large, empty wall. What are the dimensions of the room?

4loveofthetruethegoodthebeautiful thanked CDR Design, LLC

With the table turned, it doesn’t seem like an additional table would fit behind the chair. With the table turned on the original direction, it’s tight with the China cabinet. 13 ft China cabinet to window and 12 ft 4 in wall to entryway.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER

But it looks better any way! Take another from the other end. I'll add this. Displaying china is a sort of.............."mom thing"? : ) If you have other storage, you'd have a serving piece at the china cab spot if the top comes off. Room for pretty lamps another bit of art and a more open feel to the room.

Jan Moyer, yeah, I know it’s a “mom thing.” I have sentimental attachment to it, as my grandmother had a beautiful china cabinet, and I always admired it as a kid. She passed a few years ago, and I inherited some of her pieces. So, I know it’s old school, but I like it and would like to try to work with it if we can. The drapes in this room are from PB. We got them for our bedroom, but they didn’t work there and we couldn‘t return them, so they’re here.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC

It seems the room is around 15 x 12 4". So, the current setup is the best . I would add a large piece of art to that wall, as Beverly has shown. The window treatments needs some work. Could you show a larger photo of that area?

• PRO
    Carrell Design And Staging

If you like the idea of a sideboard idea, an option is to move the table toward the foyer about a foot and use a console instead. A console is much narrower than a sideboard. Then put the chairs at the ends of the table on either side of the console.

4loveofthetruethegoodthebeautiful thanked Carrell Design And Staging

CDR Design, LLC, this is the entryway / foyer. The total space for the dining room is 13‘ x 12’4”. Yes, the window treatments do need work! These are placeholders til we find something better.

And they’re wrinkly.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC

So dining room is 13 x 12 4". Which way is the 13' and how deep is the china cabinet?

How often do you use this room?

Window to china cabinet is 13’. The China cabinet is 18.5” deep by 60” long. We eat here 4x a month when we have guests and use it 2-3x / week for a laptop workspace.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner

The right colors used in your art will complement your existing chairs. No reason to change those.

So much better now that you have turned the table.

4loveofthetruethegoodthebeautiful thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 4loveofthetruethegoodthebeautiful thanked celerygirl
  • IdaClaire

Definitely don't add another piece of furniture to the room. Beverly's mock-ups with large-scale art on the wall are great. I think that's your best bet

4loveofthetruethegoodthebeautiful thanked IdaClaire
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER

Beverly nailed the size and the tones! Sooo much nicer w/ table turned and the change in direction takes your eye right to the art! The room looks thirty percent larger

• Bunny

Your room is lovely. I love your chandelier when it's on, definitely not a "white" thing.

4loveofthetruethegoodthebeautiful thanked Bunny
  • grapefruit1_ar

Your china cabinet is beautiful and adds interest and personality to your home. You need not defend it. So often these elements are lacking in today's homes. It really is lovely.

4loveofthetruethegoodthebeautiful thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real

Could you find a way to put some lights in the china cabinet? That could be a nice way of ensuring the pretties inside stand out a bit.

4loveofthetruethegoodthebeautiful thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • groveraxle

Wow, everyone's being pretty nitpicky. This room looks great. Beverly and celery both nailed the art; something large and subdued on that wall is all you need. There's nothing wrong with all the different shades of beige and brown. It's calm without being boring. (OK, one little nitpick from me: shorten the curtains so they just skim the floor. I don't think you need to get new ones.)

4loveofthetruethegoodthebeautiful thanked groveraxle
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER

Get the ironing board and three cans of spray starch: )Takes the wrinkles out faster. Magic Sizing is nice too. Don't shorten the curtains...... raise the rods a bit. Easier by far

Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real, the china cabinet does have lights... it adds extra light to the room when they’re on, which looks pretty.

• IdaClaire

Displaying china is a mom thing? Um, not necessarily. I'm not a mom. I'm a rather hip and highly tattooed middle aged hottie (ha!), and I'll never give up my Stickley china cabinet filled with my Cornishware collection. So much for a decorating stereotype.

4loveofthetruethegoodthebeautiful thanked IdaClaire
  • RNmomof2 zone 5

I have Balanced Beige in my house and IRL it is much warmer than it looks in these pictures. Do you agree 4? Is there that much difference between the chairs and the walls. The walls look very grey in the pics but I am assuming they truly don't look like that.

I too like china cabinets.

4loveofthetruethegoodthebeautiful thanked RNmomof2 zone 5
  • Not a Pro
    following
    4loveofthetruethegoodthebeautiful thanked Not a Pro

RNMom Of 2 in Zone 5, it depends on the light. We have it throughout our house, but in this room, which faces North, it does seem cooler.

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun).