Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenjean2

Can I add grout when it's already dry?

greenjean2
4 years ago

We just re-grouted our bathroom floor tile because the cheap grout we started with came out white when it should've been gray (big box store....). Yes, we dug it all out and started over....Anyway, I did the re-grouting myself. I'm a rookie. Oh, and this is a bathroom remodel, so the tile was newly installed. Grout hasn't been sealed yet. It's a sanded grout. 12 x 24 tiles.

There are a few spots where the grout looks like it sunk in a little too much for my taste. Yes, I'm a bit of a perfectionist, but it almost seems like someone barefoot could stub a toe! What I'm wondering is whether I can

(a) add more to the surface as a filler? or

(b) should I be scraping out this section (it's only about a 6-inch section) to a certain depth first? I'm concerned it will flake off if it's not deep enough.

(c) since I'll have to remix a small amount of the grout to do this...could it look a shade different in the new section?

(d) If I do remove some grout, is there a chance there will be a line/crack between the old and new section of grout?

I'm hoping someout out there has some experience with this.

The only reason this bothers me so much, is that the grout lines are wider than I had hoped they would be ...they are almost 1/4" wide, so this flaw is more noticeable. (another long story about cheaper tile + not knowing to ask for 1/16 spacers rather than the standard 1/8 spacers + and non-english-speaking installers who didn't think to ask.....)

Hope the pictures can help display the issue...hard to get that close with an iphone and have it come out clear. The lines/striations you see in the grout was from a light scraping I did with a wire brush to remove some of the "efflorescence" (white stuff on the surface) that occurred from using too much water during install. And, no, that scraping was not hard enough to remove that much grout in that spot. :) And the chip in the foreground happened when we were removing the old grout....it's been a fun remodel :(

thanks in advance for your input !

Comments (5)

• GreenDesigns
    4 years ago

No, it won’t bond. The color comes out of grout when it’s mixed too wet, or over washed. Or both. Your issue here is more the poor quality tile install than a grout issue.

greenjean2 thanked GreenDesigns
  • greenjean2
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hello GreenDesigns. thanks for your input. But do you have some guidance to offer ? I can't afford to tear out the entire project, I just need to fix a few things. What can I do about this particular section of grout? Any guidance would be appreciated. thanks

• PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    4 years ago

Scratch the grout out. Tape off the surface of the tile to the edge. Apply new grout and let it set up so it can be shaped like a ramp to accommodate the entirely unacceptable lippage. Installers should give you all you money back and then some. Will the grout match? Probably not. No need to be overly concerned with color matching as the floor probably won't last all that long judging by your photo's. Sorry but that's reality.

• GreenDesigns
    4 years ago

Get your money back from the clueless goofballs that never did tile before, and then do over with someone with some skill. It will be more than double what you paid those jackwagons. Thsts a very temporary job, not s lifetime job, which a well done tile job should be. But its also dangerous with that amount of lippage. Someone can trip or even cut themself on that edge. It’s a truly terrible job.

• HU-326954429
    4 years ago

I'm really sorry for your trouble.

Unfortunately fixing any grout issue is time consuming.

Today's commonly available grouts (Custom Polyblend, Mapei Keracolor, TEC AccuColor are actually really good quality products. It is not the grout's fault, it is bad application practice.

You might be able to clean off the efflorescence with an acid wash. I'd try using Miracle's Heavy-Duty Acidic Cleaner. If you choose to do so, please carefully read their instructions and follow them. Always wear protective gear.

You can definitely try to regrout, but if you just fix the bad spots they will stick out like a sore thumb. Color and texture will not match and you will see the patches. It would make sense to plan on redoing the entire area. I hope it is not too large. If it has been grouted recently and if the grout has been overwatered you might get lucky and it cleans out relatively easily. Either way the old grout will have to come out, the more the better. (Not too much if there is a floor heat system under the tiles.)

If you're not comfortable using power tools (that can easily do more damage than good) a utility knife will do. Hold the knife with both hands. Do small sections at a time. Start from the middle of the grout line, as you get deeper, work your way out to the edges. When you get to the tile edge keep the blade at a 90° angle, scrape slowly and very carefully because those edges will chip easily. Always scrape away (direction) from the tile corners as those are the most sensitive. It is a good idea to vacuum regularly so you always have a clear view of the "work area".

Once the grout line is clean you can grout. I hope you can find out the brand and the color of the original grout (it should be easy if you picked it). Just like with the acid, grouts have instructions too. Each brand has its own unique mixing ratio. Calculate how many fluid ounces of water they specify per one lb. of powder. If you do a small section only a 1 lb. mix should be plenty. A kitchen scale and a precise measuring cup are needed. Always follow the mixing, wait and 2nd mix times. Once the grout is in, wait for it to firm up, in your case (small area) you can you can wait longer than specified. While waiting, you can clean off the excess grout of the tiles without touching the grout line. Once the grout is firm enough (poke it with the tip of the utility knife's blade to determine) wipe it off very-very gently with an almost dry sponge. It helps to cut the sponge in half, it makes it easier to wring it out. Wiping also gives the grout surface's final texture, so make sure it is nice and smooth.

If it doesn't work out the first time and the joints are still not completely filled, scrape it out and start again until you get it right.

As I said it is tedious...

Good luck!