Your shopping cart is empty.
winstonshannon

contractor wanted to cut hardwood floor in house!

winstonshannon
February 10, 2019
I am in process of hiring contractor to install hardwood floors in my rehab home. It was purchased from a bank. it has come a very long way with living room , sun room finished and all walls and ceilings are completed ! I just had the contractor I thought of hiring ask if he can cut the wood in the bedroom next to the room he is working on. What should I do. Bedroom is one second floor. It is winter here and furnace will be running too...

Comments (11)

• SJ McCarthy

Installing hardwood in a home is tricky in winter. Often the cutting is done in an area such as a garage or some other place that is out of the elements but not in the home.

Do you have any place that the cutting can take place other than the house? A garage? A shed? If not then I would worry about how the contractor is going to stay out of the elements AND keep the wood warm and dry.

• winstonshannon
    hum...sounds like I must wait for better weather. Good advice. I do not think he wants to walk up and down stairs. Just feel it is not right to turn a room into a workshop. Just spent a lot of money to paint ceiling and floors. Seems like a rather unprofessional choice to me. I was curious to hear the industry standards for this. Thanks!
  • PRO
    G & S Floor Service

If, he has a dustless system and air filtration system, he can cut inside. Is this site-finished or factory finished?

• PRO
    Oak & Broad

The contractor can use a system that will capture most of that dust. What is your biggest concern? Needing to clean the dust off everything afterwards? I can understand that.

• winstonshannon
    site finish.
  • PRO
    G & S Floor Service

Site-finish will create a mess, so why not allow them to cut inside?

• winstonshannon
    ok. th room they want to cut in is not getting hardwood. Sanders have vacuums
  • PRO
    G & S Floor Service

The installers can set-up in the room, they are working in. They will need to move their equipment around. The saws can be connected to their vacuums. This will save them 1-2 hours of walking. The mess is contained in one room and not tracked throughout your home. Cleaning one room is a lot less work, than cleaning an entire house.

• winstonshannon
    G and S! I like that idea best!
  • PRO
    GreenDesigns

You did everything backwards if you finished all of your walls and woodwork before the floors. The floors come first. Now you are going to have to deal with moving everything out, lots of touch ups, and everything else.

No contractor is going to take the job if they can't cut on the same floor as the job. Unless you pay a big upcharge. You are not being reasonable.

• winstonshannon
    Green
    This is a rehab. woodwork was there. Most builders her do floors last but thanks for your advice. : )

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun).