Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lizdoyle1220

Countertop/Backsplash Help

Elizabeth Doyle
8 years ago

Hello - I have a 12.5 x 18.5 kitchen. We are planning a small remodel which will include - repainting the cabinets to a same off white color, new countertops, backsplash and appliances. I'm hoping someone could help me brainstorm some countertop/backsplash ideas that will coordinate with the field stone fireplace that is on the other side of the kitchen peninsula. Since we have a white backsplash now I would like to stay away from white if possible. I'm also undecided on a white apron sink.

As a secondary opinion question - my husband and I were thinking of having a custom kitchen desk built in the nook to the left of the fireplace. We would ideally mount a TV above the desk. Thoughts? The desk top would be the same material as the kitchen countertops.

Comments (17)

• Martha Carlton
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Extend the warmth of your fieldstone fireplace into the kitchen with travertine. https://www.houzz.com/photos/everett-custom-homes-traditional-kitchen-charlotte-phvw-vp~44082042 there are many colors available so choose one that is similar to the fireplace colors

Elizabeth Doyle thanked Martha Carlton
  • Martha Carlton
    8 years ago
    Portfolio · More Info
    Elizabeth Doyle thanked Martha Carlton
  • PRO
    Astonia Stone Artisans
    8 years ago

I would do granite countertops with a travertine 3x6 backsplash. Maybe a Netuno Bordeaux, Chocolate Persa or Audax with a leathered finish fro granites.

Elizabeth Doyle thanked Astonia Stone Artisans
  • Elizabeth Doyle
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you all. I was looking at travertine so I feel better I am on the right track.

• Elizabeth Doyle
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Regarding the desk - my initial thought on the desk was that if we had a desk we would have a place for the laptop (seems to always make it's way onto the kitchen counter) and give us a place to charge our various devices. Between all the different chargers and wires - I just want to be able to hide them away. Maybe there is another option.

• Jillian - Interior design student
    8 years ago

I love travertine and have it in my own home.

Keep in mind that travertine is a semi-porous natural stone containing a significant mineral content. It is reactive to liquids, especially anything acidic. Damage can occur if travertine comes in contact with citrus juices, vinegar, salad dressings, wine, tomato sauce, coffee or caustic cleaning substances. For this reason, travertine should always be sealed when used in a kitchen.

Elizabeth Doyle thanked Jillian - Interior design student
  • leelee
    8 years ago

Some sort of a pull-out desk/drawer might be a good answer for the laptop. Put the plugs under the counter or inside a drawer so your devices can
    charge without cluttering the surfaces.

Elizabeth Doyle thanked leelee
  • leelee
    8 years ago

A soapstone counter would look great with the fireplace.

• leelee
    8 years ago

backsplash

• leelee
    8 years ago

No wonder you are thinking no white tiles....the ones you have were pretty bad with those little pictures. White doesn't need to look anything like that but you might be ready for a completely new look.

• PRO
    Hiframe
    8 years ago

As an alternative, while this is a modern kitchen, it shows how you can incorporate a TV into the backsplash

Ideas for your Kitchen · More Info

Elizabeth Doyle thanked Hiframe
  • PRO
    Studio Thomas
    8 years ago

Benjamin Moore White Dove OC-17 is a great go to paint color of mine! for your backsplash going with a tone on tone tile will give you contrast and overall great flow throughout the space.

Elizabeth Doyle thanked Studio Thomas
  • Elizabeth Doyle
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I like the idea of dove white for the cabinets - that is our current trim color throughout the house so it would totally blend with the balance of the room.

• PRO
    Falken Reynolds Interiors
    8 years ago

For our Crosstown Vancouver renovation, we went with a custom glass herringbone backsplash. We did this in a contrasting bright colour, which could work really well for your style kitchen! The glass tile with a pattern like this really brings the space to life. I also would suggest looking into colour combinations of glass tile, maybe grey and black, or maybe even mixing frosted tiles with non, but all of the same colour. Check out Interstyle as a source.
    Good luck on your project!

Beatty Street Loft · More Info

• Elizabeth Doyle
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I came across a granite called San Luis and thought it may go well with the fireplace. Thoughts?
  • PRO
    Vanteriordesign
    8 years ago

Hi there,

I have been selling countertops in Vancouver and I highly recommend quartz instead of granite. It's just more durable and last a lifetime without any concern and any adjustments to keep it nice and clean.

I can recommend to visit one of the showrooms close to you. Where are you located exactly? I can highly recommend Colonial Countertops if you're located in the Greater Vancouver Area as they have a wide range of design examples of different brands like "Caesarstone" which is really popular.

"Cambria" is another great brand of Quartz Countertops.

I would really recommend to visit one of their showrooms in your Area. If you might have still little samples of your kitchen cabinet and floor I'd suggest to bring it with you - that's a great way to play around and see which color match the best.

If you don' have anymore samples - don't worry. They usually offer little sample pieces you can take home with you.

I hope I could help you a bit. You're welcome to visit their websites to get a first impression about the different designs they offer.

http://www.cambriausa.com/new-design/

http://www.caesarstone.ca/en/Pages/default.aspx

I do offer an hour of free consultation and have assist some clients choosing the right countertop design with a walk through at least one showroom with a lot options.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Thank you,

Sina