Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lexi1228

Cracked grout repair between tub and tile ledge

lexi1228
4 years ago
We just moved into a new house and some of the grout between the tub and tile ledge was cracked. I have chipped a majority of the grout out, but I am not sure how much farther I should go as I don’t want the grout to start cracking up the wall. The main dilemma though is do I re-grout this or use caulk (silicone, sanded, or unsanded?!) Any help is very appreciated.

Comments (12)

• Bri Bosh
    4 years ago
    Silicone caulk
    lexi1228 thanked Bri Bosh
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

Yep and yep.^

lexi1228 thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • GreenDesigns
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Is that a one piece fiberglass tub and surround with an added on tile deck and apron???

lexi1228 thanked GreenDesigns
  • lexi1228
    Original Author
    4 years ago

GreenDesigns - yes, it is.

• cat_ky
    4 years ago

I would see about removing that ledge. It not only doesnt look right, it sure looks like it would not be easy to get in and out of that bathtub. enjoy your new house.

• pennydesign
    4 years ago

Agree with cat...it must be very difficult to climb over that. And dangerous..

What does the front look like? Maybe we can help with suggestions..

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    4 years ago

As others have said that needed to be caulk... It is a suspicious situation though - that piece shouldn't be butted up to a tub like that - usually the tub would have been a drop in... can you take a picture further back???

• GreenDesigns
    4 years ago

That’s jacked. Yeah, that’s not going to work at all more than a minute or two. Don’t worry about cracked grout. Worry about demo and getting rid of that thing. And then doing something else with someone with a clue.

• lexi1228
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Here is a picture from farther back. I don’t disagree that this was a very messed up design. I’d have to hire somebody to demolish all of this though, and I don’t have the funds for that right now, so I’m presently hoping for the best solution to not have water getting into this space. I am open to any and all opinions though. This is the kids bathroom... they presently enjoy putting toys on the ridiculous ledge, so there’s that at least.
  • pennydesign
    4 years ago

Well, to be optimistic, it's working for what you need right now...I do have the feeling that the toilet clearance is not to code tho...

My guess is that the current tub/shower combo has some kind of damage to the outer wall (not the part that holds the water) and the previous owners got it cheaply and covered it up.

In your position, my future plans would be to demo just the front. The amount of damage that was existing or I created with the demo would be the deciding factor of what to do with it. Some cosmetic damage can be creatively covered (NOT like what they did...). If that's not possible, I would replace the whole thing.

Basically one step at a time.

Right now, though I would remove the grout. You're the only one who knows exactly how much gets wet (whether the wall grout or just the deck grout). If it's just the deck, I would try to crack that section in the corner so I can remove the rest...maybe a flathead screwdriver and a gentle tap with a hammer? Then caulk.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    4 years ago

Please save your money as fast as you can... any bit of water running down through there over time can cause a lot of damage. You will need to clean all that grout out and also where the wall tile comes down and meets that ledge ( in the pic it looks like grout and that should be caulk as well since it is a change of plane ). Then try to keep that area dried off when done so water doesn't sit there..

It will be ok somehow...