Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anoop91

dishwasher causes overflow at air gap -- who to call?

anoop
4 years ago

I don't normally use the dishwasher. I run it empty every few months and that has worked OK, never any overflow issues.

Recently, I have had some visitors and there has been heavier than normal use of the garbage disposal. We also decided to try using the dishwasher to actually wash the dishes. Each time the machine tried to drain, it resulted in an overflow at the air gap.

I'm not at all knowledgable about these things, but it sound like it could be anything from a plumbing issue to an appliance issue. What is the best way to go about getting the problem resolved? Should I call an appliance technician or a plumber?

Also, if I put my hand in and feel the blades of the garbage disposal, the blades feel kind of loose. Is that normal, or do I need to get the checked out too?

Thanks.

Comments (12)

• weedmeister
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

3. Sometimes debris can block the air gap. You remove the cap (usually pulls straight up or twist a little), then there will be another cap (usually rounded) underneath. This one either unscrews or unclips. Take it off and clean it and the pipes out. Reassemble.

anoop thanked weedmeister
  • anoop
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Lawrence Spowls,

thanks for the pointers. I have a bad back so it’s not practical for me to even attempt to fix it on my own. But it looks like the right person for me to call would be a plumber rather than an appliance tech.

@weedmeister,

i already tried that and didn’t find any debris.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

When a disposal is installed the bung in the dishwasher nipple has to be knocked out or the dishwasher won't drain. Disconnect your hose from the nipple and stick a screwdriver in the nipple to make sure the bung is gone please.

anoop thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • anoop
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Lawrence Spowls,

You were right. I just had a plumber come in today and the problem was indeed debris in the second tube, the one between the air gap and the garbage disposal. The tube was removed, flushed, and put back and everything seems to be working OK.

Any idea what would cause debris to build up in there given that I have never run the dishwasher, other than an occasional cycle without any dishes?

• weedmeister
    4 years ago

bad luck.

Or maybe the fact that you went from no flow to a debris-filled flow rather quickly.

anoop thanked weedmeister
  • catinthehat
    4 years ago

Hi anoop, my guess is your tube is not sloped properly toward the garbage disposal and is causing debris from the disposal to build up in your line. With the proper slope, debris tends to flow back into the disposal when water is drained.

anoop thanked catinthehat
  • dadoes
    4 years ago

Not using the dishwasher is part of the problem, allows debris from disposer operation to collect into the dishwasher drain port, with no flow from the dishwasher to flush it out. Using the dishwasher more often will help keep it clear.

anoop thanked dadoes
  • anoop
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@catinthehat

The pipe had an elbow and the plumber remarked that that was unusual. Do you concur?

@dadoes

If that is truly the cause, then I shouldn't have any trouble moving forward because I plan to use the machine daily from now on.

• catinthehat
    4 years ago

An elbow?? Maybe a photo would help us?

• anoop
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

See if this helps. It's the black hose at the top. You can see the 90 degree elbow.

• dadoes
    4 years ago

The dishwasher drain hose typically connects there directly without an extra piece involved. You have a countertop air gap so the elbow apparently was added to compensate for the length of the hose from it or the direction from which it comes.

anoop thanked dadoes