Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Does anyone have Ikea Poang chairs?

Sueb20
15 years ago

We're "upgrading" our basement playroom (because we bought a new flat-screen TV... you know, that means we need a coffee table, a TV stand, and a chair or two...) which currently has exactly one place to sit -- a sofa. I need 1-2 chairs but I don't want to spend a lot. I have been cruising my local CL, but decent chairs have been hard to come by. I keep looking at the Ikea Poang chairs because they're cheap and we need something lightweight that my boys can move out of the way easily during video-game sessions. But I'm just wondering if they're comfortable and/or durable. Any reviews?

Comments (21)

• glaserberl
    15 years ago

I don't have one, but want one really bad. I have sat in them at the store and at somebodies house. They are super comfortable.

• pharaoh
    15 years ago

Poangs are wonderful!

We have two in our media room. Very comfortable. Love the springing action. Have had them for 5 years. They keep going and going. I wonder how ikea can make something so good, so cheaply :)

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    15 years ago

We had one. It was sturdy and comfortable. Passed it on to our son who has his first apartment. It's the one thing we had that he really wanted! We have the black canvas cover. It did fade a bit.

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

They do come up fairly often on c's list -- if you want to try one out at even less outlay, you could look for a lightly used one there.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Fly, you're right, I had found a few on CL before, but too far away to justify the drive. But I just looked again and found one a little closer to home (closer than the Ikea store!). Thanks for the reviews, everyone! I'm excited about our basement rehab. Will post pics when we're done.

• vdinli
    15 years ago

Just in case, you need more opinions-Yes! We love ours. We have had them for about 5 yrs. They are great-comfortable and durable. We just replaced the covers and it looks brand new!
    Looking forward to the pics of your basement. that is next on our to-do list.

• les917
    15 years ago

I waited three years to get mine, and got it a couple of years ago for my Mother's Day gift. LOVE it!

• soloact
    10 years ago

I'd like to know if these chairs are too low for older people or someone with lower-back problems -- too low to get out of easily? The nearest Ikea store isn't near, so I hope someone knows. Thanks for your help.

• User
    10 years ago

Just went and checked :) My Mom would have been able to easily get out of the Poang chair that we have. The arms are configured in a way that allows you to lean your weight on them and they are very stable and sturdy. Also they do not sit low to the floor. Now my dad would have never been able to get out of them as his weight and mobility precluded having a chair that was this shape. So if your family member can get out of a regular sitting chair or DR chair there should be no problem. We have had one for 3 yrs. we love it. DH sits in it every day. Hope this helps you.c

• allison0704
    10 years ago

DS has one in Chicago. I really like it. Very comfortable.

• jakabedy
    10 years ago

We got one for DH as "his chair" when we first moved into this MCM house back in 2007. He really loved the Poang chair. Ours was in a medium-tone wood with the brown leather cushions. About two years ago we finally upgraded him to a nice, sleek, new Italian chair and put the Poang on CL, where it was snapped up immediately (it's a 2-hour drive to IKEA).

I'm heavy and have a bad knee, so I had a little trouble getting out of it. But my little, not-very-strong mom never had any trouble with it. It's much sturdier than it looks. It would be great for a kids' game/TV room.

There's a Poang rocker now, too.

• cloudy_christine
    10 years ago

I am not comfortable in them. I think some bodies fit them and some don't. I am neither short nor heavy, but there's a curve that doesn't match well with me.

• blubird
    10 years ago

I'm with cloudy_christine. I find mine very uncomfortable. The neck pillow pushes my head forward and if I remove the pillow, the curve is all wrong for me.

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

Some have more pronounced neck pillows .

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

Others not so much.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I love them. I had my first one 30+ years ago. At the time, it cost as much as now. My DS just bought his first one on CL in leather for 40.00. Score!

• Tmnca
    10 years ago

There are a few different cushion styles that really change the feel - try out the exact cushion you plan to buy. The ones we had were very comfy and very durable! I am not sure why we gave them away when we moved, I guess we just wanted all new furniture for our first new house. But they were very comfy and last forever. You can buy replacement cushions too, so if you want to change the look or it shows wear you can do that easily.

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

We have one in a bedroom and I think it is great. BUT, we had it in the LR and my MIL fell backwards in it! Can't remember how it happened-- rocking, maybe?

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Since I was the OP, I figured I'd report in and say that we did end up getting one for our basement family room at home, as well as one for the TV room in our summer cottage. One came from CL and one from Ikea. I can't remember the name of web site I used, but I ended up getting custom slipcovers for them in fun prints. Everyone in my family finds the chairs comfortable.

• birdgardner
    10 years ago

Got some ten years ago, very comfortable, wood very durable. Suggest you treat fabric cushions with Scotch-Guard - Ikea fabrics tend to hold onto stains IME. Can't speak to the leather seats.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022