Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim1961_gw

Doggie Days of Summer Seasonal Thread.... PART TWO

I've started a new Summer thread...

Hi everyone,

I can not wait to see everyones great rosy summer photos and read the awesome discussions!

Just have fun everyone!

Comments (318)

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 years ago

Jim, please send rain ASAP

Svetlana, what beautiful pictures to wake up to. What is the rose in your fourth picture down. You may not have a ton of roses yet but you are slowly building a lovely assortment. It does make you appreciate them all the more.

Still super smokey here oh my gosh I can't even see the hills around me. Ash is falling

It doesn't affect the roses if anything it makes them better because they're not getting glaring Sun but it's sure ugly out.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Anyone else having trouble posting pics here on Houzz??? I can't post a pic on any of my threads!

Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

oops rain spout fell apart! Pics started working again...Crazy Houzz! lol

This rain water is pouring on to our street...Across street from our house...

• Dani D
    5 years ago

Kristine, its "Myvetta". A mystery rose.

5 years ago

Lol I love a good mystery its sure is a pretty one.

In spite of all of the smoke and heat here is what's beautiful today.

5 years ago

Fiji

Twilight Zone

5 years ago

Ebb tide

Original Author
    5 years ago

How large are your average FIJI Blooms Kristine??? Thanks!

Nice pics Kristine!

Our Fiji blooms are small...lol....I let potted Fiji out in rain this time so I can see how the blooms handle alot of rain... Doesn't look good they get crusty looking fairly quick...

• rosecanadian
    5 years ago

Jim - definitely some lab in Sparky. :) How lucky for both of you that you found her. :) Man, you really are getting a lot of rain!

zzzone - that's a cute dog! I've never heard of a bee hunting dog. :) Hopefully she won't get stung!

Svetlana - I love your roses...they are saturated with color and look so healthy! Beautiful!!! I especially love your 3rd and last pictures!

Kristine - trying to make lemonade out of a problem...at least the roses will love the ash. But, seriously, when is this going to end for your area! Sheesh. Those are lovely roses!!! I especially love the first 2 pictures - espepcially Fiji!

We're having nice we ather - it's 17C/63F with temps going up to 21C/70F. I think 21C is the perfect weather.

Carol

5 years ago

Yes pretty icky out . I don't notice too many people out and about walking their dogs or working in their yards . I guess I'm probably not supposed to be out doing manual labor in the ash either.

Gym I think the blooms on my Fiji are about to win 2 3/4 to 3" wide they're getting pretty good size this year.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Not good here! 3.5 inches of very heavy rains already and 4+ more inches coming in next two days! Flood watches/warnings end Wednesday...

Yep tons of rose blooms have been wiped out...That's the way it goes....Couple rose bushes separated like the red sea...lol

I'll stay safe! Will report in when I can....

5 years ago

I am so sorry

Darn global warming

Original Author
    5 years ago
  • nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

Jim, I'm also terribly sorry, that after you've grown such beautiful roses this year, you're experiencing this awful storm. The amount of rain is beyond my dried out brain's comprehension. It's about a year's supply of rain for us here in the hot, baked desert. So ironic that those who need rain can't get it, and those with excess rain can't give it away. Your roses will come back fine--it's hard to overwater a rose. Did a couple of them get washed away by the Red Sea? So how are you doing now--guess you're in bed. I don't think I could sleep. By the way, up the thread, your photo of Julia Child is just luscious. I know your can see what a world class bloomer she is now. Did you use a telephoto lens for that moon pic? Thanks for trying to "send" us some rain!

Kristine, what lovely photos. I like those colors, and the lily is especially pretty. Are they blooming now? I only grow a couple of basic nothing yellow Asiatic lilies and they bloom early and for a short time. So do your lilies have different bloom times to lengthen the season? I love your Olivia Rose photo. Mine keeps trying to bloom, and just as a flush gets started, the deer come along. Her blooms aren't very big in the heat, and don't look nearly as good as your ORA's blooms. How is your weather now--hot and dry? Still smoky? At least we don't have that for now, oddly enough. We're up to about the 20th day of 90s-100s+ temps, and more on the way. Plus deer, plus too much tree shade in the front yard area, so things are pathetic right now with a few bright spots of bloom. I haven't been taking pics because it's all I can do to complete basic chores.

Carol, your temps would be so perfect right now. And no drenching downpours, I'll bet. So let's all move to Canada and enjoy Carol's back yard!

Svetlana, all your roses look so healthy and crisp--must be a nice temperature for you now. Your roses are so well care for, and I'll bet you are quite particular about it. Are the roses in the lavender pots new?

Here's hoping for good weather and no smoke in everyone's tomorrows.

Diane

• rosecanadian
    5 years ago

Diane - well, now we're getting rain. Wed and the weekend are good, beyond that we have about 2 weeks of rain....so off and on again rain. But that's okay. I still have August and Sept for good rose weather.

Carol :)

5 years ago

Yep, still smoky . They are saying that it could be smoky the rest of the summer. Yay life in Southern Oregon during the summer time . always wonder where could I move that would be better but it seems like every state has got issues. Too much rain not enough rain to much smoke too much wind I guess I'll just stay put for now.

The air is in the unhealthy range and you are suppossed to wear a mask to be outside.

My daughter has been training for an ultra marathon it is a 50K. This is the 2nd summer in a row that she trained for that marathon and it has been canceled due to smoke.

Atleast my roses don't mind the smoke, the 102 temps, they dont love. But most look ok.

5 years ago

Carol, I have quite a few lilies and most bloom at different times. I still have several yet to bloom.

Jim, I went out to measure the blooms on Fiji. Most are 4 inches.

I also noticed that my new Twilight Zone is going bonkers.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Awful temps! I can't imagine all that smoke! Prayers for all you dealing with heat & disasters!

Sorry to hear your daughters marathons keep getting canceled because of smoke...

We have a big break in the rain as its only sprinkling this morning... We lost 90% of Earthsongs blooms and lost alot on MOTH & Julia Child......D.Ko's and CC are ok for the most part...I deadheaded all the really bad torn blooms off rose bushes but left on the blooms that were only crusty looking... Can not really notice that the blooms are crusty from a distance...lol

On average our potted FIJI blooms are 2 inches or smaller right now here...No big deal as plants are still small... Kristine....

Our FIJI in the ground has never bloomed yet...(Planted MAY 2017) Still waiting on that one...Seems like it takes 2 full seasons then the start of the 3rd season before Fiji's start blooming here...Not sure yet how long it will take before they start growing here...LOL...From the looks of it probably about 4-5 years maybe?

We have alittle over 2 months left in our current growing season...

Have a great day everyone!

This FIJI bloom is tucked in under rose leaves...

5 years ago

Isnt it a cool color Jim ?

Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes we like the FIJI blooms Kristine....Just can't wait to see a larger mature bush producing more of them though...lol....

I thought it might be that FIji disliked our native in ground soil for some reason so that's why I put one Fiji in a large pot BUT that turned out not to be the case...

Actually, our in ground Fiji's leaves look more healthy then the potted Fiji leaves do...Whether in ground or in light potting mix there growing snail speed here...lol

Plum Perfect is also still growing at a slow pace.... Not as slow as Fiji but still I consider it slow!

But thats ok as I put other small shrubs in this year and they need a couple years to grow larger...So once they all mature together in the next couple years things should look much better....

Where is everyone??? I miss seeing everyones roses, plants, pets, etc....

• titian1 10b Sydney
    5 years ago

I'm here, Jim, but no photos - sorry. Not that there's much to see. And sorry to hear about so many of your blooms taking a battering.

Kristine, that's awful about your smoky air, and how disappointing for your daughter if it's cancelled again.

Svetlana, your balcony looks so pretty. And what an assortment you're managing to grow there.

I'm planning on a nice day in the garden today, planting. I finally got around to painting a trough that came with the house. At one stage it must have been white, but it had deteriorated into being mostly grey, with large curls of peeling paint. Only been looking at it for 8 years! I found some cheap gazanias at the nursery, which will do for now. Also, some not so cheap bougainvilleas for other pots (which also need repainting, darn it), another 3D osteospermum, and a dark purple heliotrope.

It is still extraordinarily warm here for mid-winter. Actually, it's perfect weather for gardening. Makes me nervous for summer though.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

Jim, everyone is in his/her air conditioned home, lying exhausted in a chair, or in his/her non air conditioned home fleeing from the rain. Who's gardening? I think Kristine is because she seems to have a lot of lovely roses and plants in bloom right now. They are addicted to smoke, apparently. Jim, the Figi bloom you show above is exquisite. Remember, it's quality not quantity. I'm sorry Julia suffered bloom loss in your rain when she looked so good.

Carol, rain, oh no....still you won't have to do any hand watering and everything will be refreshed and raring to bloom. Diane

I'll dredge up some springish photos to please Jim.

Angel Face

Baby Abe Darby
    Ascot above

Bouquet from last year

Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Nanadoll! Wonderful pics! I guess its to hot in alot other areas right now...

Nice to hear from you titian1 ! Enjoy your day in the garden!

Rain has stopped here for now so I've been outside cleaning things up...

Potted Fiji might not be real big Nanadoll buts its still producing a decent amount of blooms for its size...Some of these blooms crisped in the rain but they held up otherwise just fine...This rose is starting its 3rd season...It sat in the ground for 2 seasons doing nothing...Still has not grown much but its blooming this year finally...lol

• rosecanadian
    5 years ago

Kristine - really? You have to wear a mask? Wow!

Jim - your Fiji bloom is hiding from the rain...great looking flower! The rain sure has done damage to your blooms...losing 90% of flowers is no fun. Your Fiji looks like it's finally becoming a star. That's a lot of waiting on your part though.

Diane - I still can't get over the colors your purples have. A lot of Angel Face pictures I've seen have a less purpley color that I'm not fond of....but your AF colors are beeautiful!!! Thanks for the pictures!

Carol

Original Author
    5 years ago

Carol, we lost 90% blooms on Earthsong, about 50% on MOTH, and about 50% on Julia Child.(But there still more buds on all those rose bushes that have not opened yet..) Our D Ko's , Carefree Celebration, Fiji, hardly lost any as they seem to have tougher blooms...

Carol, did you get to plant any roses in those holy pots your husband made??? I can't wait to see how they do...

I think Fiji will be a good rose in about 1-2 more years...I get concerned though about winter dieback and rose bushes that do not come back fast from having to be cut way back...I may have to make some rose changes in the future but we will see....

Purple was my deceased sisters favorite color so I really enjoy seeing purple blooms Nanadoll! Our Plum Perfect is on the purple side in real life...

This new Plum Perfect bloom wasn't bothered to much by the rains...See water seeping out of petals?

5 years ago

Yes, southern Oregon officially has the nation's worst air quality

Yay, lucky us.

Jim your plum perfect is, perfect.

Will someone please tell me why I dont have Ascot in my yard

Original Author
    5 years ago

Why don't you have Ascot? lol

Oh man worse air quality...:-(

Hard rains, high winds, etc. just now started again...

This D Ko feet is always soaking in water when it rains hard...lol...But it seems to like it!

Maybe this pic you can see it better...Water is almost 2-3 inches deep at the moment...

Water pouring so fast across our street its moving the soil and coming down our street....

Original Author
    5 years ago

More heavy rain pics

Things getting wild now!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

Jim, I don't think I'm going to "like" that last group of pics. Looks like sandbags might be called for. I think I would cut that beautiful Plum Perfect for the house, rather than letting it take another pounding. I can't get over how lovely your roses still look after all that rain.

We've got smoke! I'm going to check the news to see if it's close. Diane

Original Author
    5 years ago

All heck breaking loose here! 2 inches more rain coming!

5 years ago

Good grief! Crazy crazy

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

I couldn't find any news on the smoke, but it's definitely hanging around. Send us that 2 inches of rain, Jim. Diane

5 years ago

We will take some rain too please.

Original Author
    5 years ago

We followed the water running along the railroad tracks which led us 1/2 mile from home...We found a creek in the woods overflowing its banks and water was rushing down toward our house...

This is suppose to be a dirt path, not suppose to have water running in it..

Same dirt path further up beyond water run off point..

RAGING creek in woods overflowing its banks...

• fragrancenutter
    5 years ago

I've been so busy with work and gardening I haven't had time to visit here for a while! So many beautiful photos from everyone.

I love your arches Cori Ann, I can use a few of them myself for the sweet peas! Too bad I don't have room.

The little wabbit is just too cute zzzone! I can't believe you can just pick them up like that. I thought they run fast?

Jim you do live in a tough climate for gardening! I don't think I can cope with all the snow and the flood! On the bright side you won't get thirsty.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

Jim, that's scary. Stay away from raging creeks. I hope it doesn't make it to your house. Does your poor wife have to come along on these adventures?

Fragrance, it's good to hear from you. Any interesting new projects in your garden? I agree that any rabbits I've come across, run away. They can bite and scratch, too, innocent though they seem. The heat here is so oppressive, and it's dry, dry, dry. I just can't water enough, and there are always areas that our system doesn't reach well. Jim may have too much water, but he doesn't have hundreds of $ in water bills! Ugh.

Our closest neighbors, who live just below us, have to replace an awful fence that runs along the property line. We have a retaining wall that follows a lot of the fence, and that wall is failing--sooo, guess who will be losing a bunch of plants, and a good chunk of a border when the contractor tears everything out? Plus a peony and some roses will have to be dug out. What a mess this year has been. Living at the top of a hill is just one big watering problem. Everything runs downhill. Diane

Original Author
    5 years ago

My wife stayed home, a male neighbor friend took the Trek with me Nanadoll...

Our water/sewage bill runs $69 monthly year around...

I didn't realize you were having such a rough year all around Nanadoll... Sorry to hear that!

Hello fragrancenutter! Great to hear from you!

I'm going let things dry out then clean up the outside messes later... I noticed mushrooms are popping up by the 100's now...

Worse hit roses were Earthsong and MOTH...

Double Ko's did ok... But best rose through the storm was Carefree Celebration....

• rosecanadian
    5 years ago

Jim - we've got 5 roses in those holey pots. :) My husband is going to do 5 more. I haven't noticed any improvement with the holes...but that may take awhile. Most of my roses seem to be loving the 5:1:1 mix...well...they've started to improve a little bit. I don't want to throw them away anymore...there's hope. Your roses really took a hit, Jim. And what a wonderful brother you are to love growing purple roses. :) I can't get over how tough your DKO rose is!!! Sitting in water and still looking amazing!! I hope your rain stops soon! You have definitely had enough. I'm so impressed by your roses and how they handled the rain! Wow!

Diane - that is so true!!! It must be so hard to water your roses/plants when the water won't stay...but just runs downhill. So expensive too!! What we won't do for our roses. :)

Carol

Original Author
    5 years ago

Made a post and it disappeared so will try again...lol

Carol I hope the holy pots work out! And glad your 5:1:1 is doing good for most roses...

I hope everyone is doing ok its been quiet in this thread lately...I miss the many different conversations!

Should I start a NEW THREAD???????

5 years ago

The smoke is slightly better today only in the unhealthy zone and not super hazardous zone so I went out to deadhead and do some watering before it changes and took some pictures . Here are some things that are surprising me in the heat

{{attachment:3533079}}

My nnnew Earth Angel

{{attachment:3533080}}

Young Lycidas new this spring

{{attachment:3533081}}

New Twilight Zone

{{attachment:3533082}}

Loving Fiji

5 years ago

I keep trying to post and it goes to

5 years ago

And it drops

5 years ago

Words

Original Author
    5 years ago

Sorry KRISTINE but I can not see your pics...

OK TIME FOR A NEW THREAD>>>>>

NEW SUMMER THREAD HERE:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/doggie-days-of-summer-seasonal-thread-part-three-dsvw-vd~5412219

• lavenderlacezone8
    5 years ago

See you in the new thread!

5 years ago

Not sure what's going on but my pictures are posting really huge I need to mess around with it I guess

5 years ago

kristine_legault's ideas · More Info

Young Lycidis

Twilight zone

5 years ago

Yea some pictures actually loaded. So today not quite as smokey it is only in the unhealthy zone and not the deadly you are going to die if you breathe zone. that is something

Original Author
    5 years ago

Darn smoke KRISTINE...Wonderful pics!

NEW SUMMER THREAD HERE:

[https://www.houzz.com/discussions/doggie-days-of-summer-seasonal-thread-part-three-dsvw-vd~5412219[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/doggie-days-of-summer-seasonal-thread-part-three-dsvw-vd~5412219)

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE GREAT PICS AND CONVERSATIONs IN THIS THREAD!