Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gtxscirocco

Help Choosing a FRONT DOOR - The Front Door is So Important! (Mid Century/Contemporary) Front Door

gtxscirocco
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
Hi Everyone,

So its been a year since moving into our first house. Over that time I have done my share of painting, replaced driveway, retaining walls, landscaping, garage doors, indoor gym and more...

A year later I am burnt out (Brain has stopped working) I can't figure out the front door replacement of all things. I would love to get some of your creative ideas on what type of door would work for my house. (I need a door a Door that flows with the house) If someone has photoshop skills that would be a bonus!

Thanks so much,
Dan :-)

Comments (28)

• TanCalGal
    11 years ago
    Choose an appropriate door for an MCM house. There are many to choose from, most would look good here. The current door's color is nice. The painted grids in front of the front door area seem to distract from the beauty of the home, are they necessary? Remove decorative wheel barrow (not in keeping + distracting)..
  • jessicamaui
    11 years ago
    all brown wooden door or a wooden door with glass and wroght iron insert
  • nevadan
    11 years ago
    Your house is a hybrid. It partakes of a Connecticut early American barn style while at the same time wanting to be modern. Take your key from your windows - the dooor and the windows must harmonize with one another. If you intend to keep those small plain windows, you will do best with a glass door - maybe etched glass. When it's time to re-roof the house, please consider a roof with color - perhaps a metal roof. A lot of your facade is roof, and the present roof looks dreary.
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    I was thinking something like this. Perhaps a bit smaller glass rectangles..
    Knollwood Remodel Exterior · More Info
  • PRO
    Chroma Design
    11 years ago
    A full, single lite glass door will blend too much with the windows on the part of the facade. You would lose a focal point and curb appeal.. A front door is something that the eye seeks out as well as directs guests to you home.
    And based on your photo with all of the blinds lowered, it seems you are privacy sensitive, so a large single lite doesn't seem like a good fit.
    The three posts with cross support supporting your roof, aren't doing your front any justice. I would reconfigure them to two larger posts with a more substantial lintel for stability.
    I like the door Dytecture suggested. It is interesting, modern, and speaks to the rhythm established by the windows. I suggest something in that vain.
  • jjandhk
    11 years ago
    Love your house! I'm thinking that I would want the front door to blend with the style of the house, but not mimic the windows--I like to see it stand out as a show-stopper. Here's a couple of ideas:
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    jeanjjk's 1st photo is what I had in mind. Nice choice jean! The other option is to just a plain door. Oh..sorry but I think you should put the cart with wheels in the back yard. It looks to country for the house style.
  • PRO
    Architectural Elements
    11 years ago
    What about a door with 4 vertical panes? The horizontal panes are opposite of the window architecture of the rest of the home.
    Archele.com
  • elcieg
    11 years ago
    I would like to comment on the facade. It needs to be broken up with different siding. The left side of the house looks like an afterthought. It is a great home, but needs some defining. I think it has more of a barn style.
    portland-maine
    Barn-Inspired Renovation - Waccabuc, NY · More Info

Nethermead Residence · More Info
  • mveasey
    11 years ago
    How about one of these front doors, painted in a funky colour?
    Perhaps a green apple colour? If you really wanted to make a statement, you could paint the cube structure a standout colour and the front door a shade darker. But maybe thats too " out there" ... Beautiful home though, your hard work is not in vain. Hang in there!
  • houssaon
    11 years ago
    I like the door that Dytecture recommended. I think you should look for a natural wood, rather than paint. You can browse the PHOTO section of Houzz, exteriors, modern, and search for doors for more ideas. Other than the door I think your house looks great, not run of the mill.
  • cohoek
    11 years ago
    Hi, I like the door, but hate the glas. I am all voor fixing and changing. I would paint the door a more red color and put another soort of glas in it.
  • gtxscirocco
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Went looking at some doors today. Found nearly the same door as whats on the house now except the window was a rectangle vs the arched on top. I would have the option to go with my choice of privacy glass. I would like to retain a red color door as it flows nice with the Red Maples in front. If there is someone with real design skills please speak up and state your case. As much as I would like to further my home I have to focus on the door for now.. Everyone's help has been great :-)
  • houssaon
    11 years ago
    What I don't like about the existing door is the leaded glass look. I think you need a more contemporary door. And raised panels speak to colonial styling. I stick to my suggestion of a modern door in a natural wood finish for your house.

Edgewood · More Info
    Edgewood · More Info
    and
    Contemporary Exterior · More Info
    are good examples.

Even this https://www.houzz.com/photos/42-x-96-grace-design-modern-exterior-seattle-phvw-vp~881358 See their web: http://www.sculpturalglassdoors.com/Entry-Door-Gallery
  • gtxscirocco
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Still looking for a front door... Therma Tru has a new line called the "pluse" there are a few designs there... Like to keep the Ideas coming. http://thermatru.com/products/entry/fiberglass-entry-doors/plf/index.aspx#/dso:door-linea_centered-fc1cl/go:dl/

Dan
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    My favorite so far is the one that Darzy posted, even though she later deferred to one with five lights instead of three. (Darzy, you had it right!)

I like the three as I think it makes the best proportionate reference to the other windows on the home, turned sideways to set them off. It's simpler than the five, and so doesn't take away from the "sun vestibule." It's a cool house!
  • PRO
    HERE Design and Architecture
    10 years ago
    FWIW, I like the door on PbElemental but in a slightly redder color than your current door.
  • gtxscirocco
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Anymore suggestions?
  • anne dee
    10 years ago
    Dallas, TX: Stolp · More Info

may have been posted ? inspiration pic
    York Street Residence · More Info

Huntington Beach · More Info

Knollwood Remodel Exterior · More Info

http://www.houzz.com/photos/modern/exterior/mid-century-modern-doors-
    check out the last site posted here for more inspiration
  • gtxscirocco
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I am also looking into a 3/4 glass door. Much as I have right now minus the fancy trim and glass.
  • zagab
    10 years ago
    I'd make use of the adjoining window and give the fron a whole new look.
  • ej610
    9 years ago
    If this were my house, I would paint the brown porch framing the same color as the house. And I would buy a walnut colored front door, or paint the existing door black.
  • Emma Eaton
    9 years ago

Wow! You guys are great! I like the second and third door styles. They both "fit" the house and are welcoming. Good luck!

• Emma Eaton
    9 years ago

Oh! I also agree that change is needed for the post structures!

• PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    9 years ago

Hi bugsy -- Welcome to houzz. Just wanted to let you know this is a post from 2012. :)

• sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago

OLD POST 2012

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm