Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moalex

help finishing master bedroom

Morgan
4 years ago
I got some great advice here several months ago when we first moved back into our home after remodeling, so I’m back in hopes of help to fine tune the details.

This is our master bedroom... it has a unique entrance/short hallway, and an exterior wall full of windows. The actual room area lacks a lot of actual wall space due to the french doors of our closet and barn door to the bathroom. I may get comments that this room isn’t very big for a master. While it’s probably not as big as I’d have liked, it’s slightly larger than our old room and accommodates a king sized bed, which was our major prerequisite. Our closet is full of built ins, so it negates our need for a dresser. I am aware that the chair doesn’t really fit the scale of the room. It’s a temporary compromise between my husband and I as we had purchased it for our living room shortly before deciding to renovate. Since we plan to expand our family soon, he won the argument by pointing out it may be nice to have a rocking chair while baby is sleeping in our room. I will eventually replace it with a smaller stationery sitting chair.

I’ve only hung one decorative piece, so where I really need guidance is wall hangings - while I do not feel compelled to cover every inch of wall, I do think it needs a few things. I am likely going to do a gallery wall in the entrance/hallway. Maybe three large frames. I’m not sure what to do over the bed, or if I should leave it empty? Something above the nightstands? The nightstands and lamps definitely stay, but I’m open to suggestions for other nightstand accessories. I’ve been looking for a decorative tray to place on mine (side of bed away from windows) with a candle, luxury hand lotion, and maybe some other small decorative objects in place of the photo frame. I think there may need to be something to the right of the TV over the chair, but I have no idea what... and the space to the right of the barn door on the bathroom wall? I’d like to replace the laundry hamper (ideally I’d do away with it, but didn’t think to leave a spot for it in our closet), but should there be something hanging over it? I’d appreciate any constructive criticism and advice you might have. Thanks in advance!

Comments (35)

• Morgan
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    There was one photo it wouldn’t allow me to put on the original post! Here it is!
  • Irene Morresey
    4 years ago
    I think your bedroom looks lovely, maybe just a bigger throw in the red and a lighter cushion on the chair. Very cosy,not sure it needs anything else
    Morgan thanked Irene Morresey
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Lose the heavy chair for a pretty console under the tv, perhaps an ottoman beneath it. Add some art in the hallway, maybe a runner on the floor and call it a day.

I could well do without the barn doors to a light and lovely bath, but that's me. Try a little earthy gilded warm metal in the console, and bedside lamps for a change-up.

• Morgan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@JAN MOYER... Thank you for taking the time to respond. As I stated in my initial post, I don't care for the chair in this room either, but it will be staying a tad longer. There are other rooms in the house in greater need of furniture, so I will get back around to addressing the chair situation at a later date. Your idea for a console table is an interesting one which I will definitely consider.

You mentioned art in the hallway. What are your thoughts on wall hangings in the rest of the room? Should there be something over the bed? Anything elsewhere? The walls feel overwhelmingly bare to me but I know less is more.

• User
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

The walls seem bare because of all the heaviness dragging eyes down. Too many dark pillows on the bed - pillows are 5 deep! Dark throw. Dark lamps. Dark woods on furniture and doors. Dark floors. Even the laundry bin is dark brown. I would try to draw eyes up. Raise the curtain rod to ceiling height. Dump the dark pillows and throws. Good move on changing chair at some point. Change lamps to lighter look - maybe clear glass with gold brush metal. I wouldn't put anything in entranceway to MBR - it's too narrow. The framed something next to the window is too high and not adding anything to the room. If this is a critical item you need to have hung in the Mbr, lower it. And don't ADD anything to the end table. Clutter does not help. Nothing to the right of the TV over the chair. Echo putting the console under TV. While I'm not a big fan of a sliding door to a bathroom, I assume that's staying. If so, the doors are very large and very dark. Can the bathroom and closet doors be painted a lighter color?

• Morgan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Lisa, while I appreciate you taking the time to chime in - light and airy does not suit everyone. We live in the middle of nowhere on a cattle ranch and just remodeled this house to lighten it up. Believe it or not, the wall color and duvet are great strides over what we had previously. I am not only decorating for myself, but also with my husband's taste and preferences in mind. The doors are what they are because we matched them in type and kind to the doors throughout the rest of the house, and no they cannot be painted. My husband allowed me my white kitchen and bathroom, but we compromised by leaving the stained trim and doors. I plan to change out the nightstands so I'll look for a lighter wood when doing so, and will look for a console table as well. Thanks.

• Bri Bosh
    4 years ago

I love the contrast of the rich wood with the beautiful white bathroom. Very nice (and appropriate for a ranch!)! I agree with a. Precious poster, how about three framed black and whites family pics in the hallway? That’s s big blank expanse just begging for some personality!

Also, that chair looks very comfy for snuggling/nursing. It really doesn’t look bad there at all!

Morgan thanked Bri Bosh
  • Morgan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Open House, @Bri Bosh thank you for not making me feel like it’s necessary to erase everything I’ve done and start completely over! The black and white photos were exactly what I was envisioning for the entry. One of my best friends is an extremely talented natural light photographer so we have a number of photos we’ve had done that I love and have never printed. Bingo!

The more I study the room the more I realize what’s bothering me... perhaps not the “bare” walls, but the empty space between the end of the bed and the TV wall. I just measured and it is 72 inches! Obviously to add anything else the chair would need to go (which is the plan anyway), but I’m not sure what to add. Others suggested a console table, although I’m torn about that and feel if I was going to put a console table I’d be better off with a dresser or at least something with a few drawers for extra storage. While it’s not NEEDED at this stage of life, did extra storage ever hurt anyone? Lol I also find myself wondering about an end of bed bench... I probably don’t have quite enough clearance for both a dresser and a bench, since they would be back to back, but I’m worried if I put only a bench that TV wall may still look a little empty... I’m attaching a photo of our blueprints for this room for reference! Would love to hear your thoughts.

• User
    4 years ago

I think your room is on its way to looking great. I don’t find it dark looking at all. And I’m an all white all day kinda person. Once the chair is gone and a chest is in place and tv place accordingly, it will change the finished look a lot.

• PRO
    Open House Home Staging & Redesign, LLC
    4 years ago

I think adding a dresser under the TV (when you find a home for the chair) will fill in the space and help ground the TV. Ideally, I'd like to see the TV more centered on that wall, but if the spot where it is is the spot where it stays, then you can balance it out with another taller lamp on the dresser side closest to the window.

• sunfeather
    4 years ago

I like the idea of having a chair or bench in the bedroom - your idea of adding a dresser would give you a place for a hamper maybe. Also, how would the full length mirror where the hamper is now or possibly in the closet? I think having nothing over the bed is more relaxing. For now, could the chair be angled just a bit more?

• Jeanette Vey
    4 years ago

FWIW I bought a bench that opens for storage & use it at end of my bed , great for sitting to put on shoes & I use the storage area as a hamper,nothing wet of course!

• Cheryl Smith
    4 years ago

You've done a great job. I also think a narrow dresser or console to use under the tv would help a lot. I also like a bench at the end of the bed. It's handy for putting all your pillows on at night when you're sleeping and put on shoes, laying out clothes for the day.

THE RANCHER on IRON HORSE · More Info

Dramatic Bedroom Design · More Info

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

For the hallway...

Living Room / Dining Room. · More Info

• Susan Davis
    4 years ago

Hmmm, nice strong room.....I think the long skinny mirror could move over to the wall on the right of the bathroom and be centered on the wall.....it looks a bit smallish, maybe search for a larger one when you can come across one.

I think everything looks safe in this room because it all matches, which is fine, but you are seeking a bit of sparkle shall we say. That said I really think burlap type curtains would look better than the filmy white so I would change that.

I also think the white cream European square pillows should be done in a contrast color so they show up against the headboard. Maybe a pretty saturated gold? or Royal Blue? then cream pillows in front of them for more pop and contrast. I think the red pillows are very matched, look like they are trying too hard, and do not add to the room. Pillows seem to be all different these days? This is just my own very personal opinion, OK? The foot coverlet could also be done in a striking saturated color or pattern or both. Finally a folded throw in a solid of your strong color on the grey leather to break up the mass of the chair.

Lastly the small picture on the wall to the left of the bed would be more impressive if you got another one smaller or larger and hung it under or over the one pic to give it presence in the room. Stacked if you will.

And for fun, the table lamps could be painted a metallic gold to add sparkle and shine to the room.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

72 inches minus 20 for a dresser depth is 52 inches and minus 18 inches average for a bench depth is 34 inches and plenty of room to move around the bed to the other side. If you don't NEED the storage a console is better and will feel less heavy than drawer storage. .........You can find less depth on either of those, that is averages for each. You can find benches 14/15 deep , and consoles as little as 12 inches depth.......even eight inches

You DON'T need more brown wood.

very shallow below

https://www.hayneedle.com/product/southernenterprisesbergennarrowconsoletable.cfm

https://www.hayneedle.com/product/orientexpressfurniturestrandupholsteredindoorbench.cfm

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

Nice room! Your chair looks fine there. I don't see a need to rush to change it. If it's comfy, tant mieux. I love the idea of three b&w photos in the hallway but wonder if you'll be able to appreciate them fully there. Is there enough space to pause and gaze at portraits in that spot? Could the mirror be moved? I'm thinking the walls next to the barn door would make more sense for framed pics. No need to add anything on the headboard or TV wall, imo. As for putting a bench at the foot of the bed, would you have enough room with the chair? The idea of a bench as laundry hamper sounds good though. If you sort your laundry, maybe you could have separate bins in the bench. I agree lowering the framed piece next to the window is a good idea. You're just tweaking at this stage; your room is done! If it suits your taste and purposes, bravo and enjoy!

• Morgan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So it sounds like I’m going to start out by looking for a dresser or console... I think I will see what I can find and what I like and make my decision on either/or then. Then probably on to a bench. The nightstands were cheap and purchased quickly to appease my husband, so my intentions have been to replace them all along. The chair can make its way upstairs to the bonus room which probably makes more sense anyway.

I’m not going to jump to change throw pillows, curtains or rug at this time as my husband helped with those and I really like the texture we’ve got going. Will also keep lamps as is for the time being.

I don’t think the three photos in the hall will affect anything else, so I’m going to go ahead and start on that project. The hallway is 40 inches wide, so no narrower than the actual hallway we have, and I stop and gaze at the photos in it all the time, so I’m not too concerned.

To answer the reoccurring question about the mirror... sadly that spot makes the most sense. If it were hung to the right of the barn door, the only way to look in the mirror would be to shut the closet doors and stand right in front of them which would surely cause fits between my husband and I when we’re getting ready to go somewhere together. I definitely don’t love the mirror we have... it was purchased out of desperation and necessity, so I’m continuing to keep my eyes peeled for a better option, but I think it will have to stay in that location.

Thank you to all who have chimed in and given ideas and encouragement!

• Morgan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Another question: I get that the wood tones are not for everyone... believe me, I tried to convince my husband to paint all our trim and doors white, but both he and my contractor thought I was nuts. Now that we’ve changed wall colors and added lighting, windows, etc, I don’t think it’s so bad! Anyway - I know several of you are pushing me to get away from the wood, but I don’t know that other options (painted, mirrored, metal) fit us. However, I don’t want the look of a matching bedroom set... I want to mix wood tones but I’m struggling with what to put with this bed when shopping for new nightstands and a dresser or console. I don’t want it to look as though I bought a bunch of random things off CL... any input?

• hollybar
    4 years ago

following

• PRO
    Open House Home Staging & Redesign, LLC
    4 years ago

Morgan,

You've done a wonderful job with your master bedroom. Trust your taste and instincts. I often see really terrible rooms posted here, and try to be tactful with answers, but no tact needed in my replies to you.

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

Came here to say similar to Open House. This is YOUR master bedroom, Morgan, not ours. It's important that the colours and materials reflect your taste as a couple. Honestly, I can think of worse places for wood trim than a cattle ranch. :D There's more than one way to decorate a pretty room. If you're thinking of new nightstands, consider painting your current ones before buying new. (If these fit your storage needs, of course.) Enjoy the tweaking and don't let strangers' opinions take up too much space in your space. :)

• Susan Davis
    4 years ago

I think the wood is nice and the room is put together beautifully. Every house has its own soul if you will and the fact that you and Hubs are doing this together to keep you both comfy is Great! You asked and you got opinions and useful info. Do with it as you see fit! Nice job!

• HU-161159613
    4 years ago

I think your bedroom is beautiful, very cozy and inviting. I love your printed pillows! You're right, light and airy is not for everyone.

• mjb_1234
    4 years ago

I think it looks great. I wouldn’t rush to change anything. If anything, from the photo it does appear the framed print next to the bed could be lowered a bit. But otherwise it looks like a beautiful and relaxing room.

• PRO
    DANE AUSTIN INTERIOR DESIGN Boston & Cambridge
    4 years ago

We might try a lovely piece of artwork on that wall that leads into the actual bedroom. Then we might get rid of the chair and place a TV console or dresser there instead. Here are some of our bedroom ideas and artwork ideas that might just help you with this dilemma.

Roseclair Residence · More Info

Bold Bachelor Pad · More Info

Kalorama Penthouse · More Info

Charlestown Brownstone · More Info

• ashtonchic
    4 years ago

I like your room! I would pull the chair out of the corner a little bit and toward TV and add a small table with a lamp in front of the window. It'll add to the coziness of the room. I would add 2 or 3 prints either side of the bathroom door - moving the mirror to another location.

• Mary Beth
    4 years ago

I feel your pain! What is it about husbands and fear of painted wood! One of the biggest arguments I had with my husband when we redid our kitchen with cherry cabinets and wood floor was I wanted white trim to break up the wood and he made me feel like I was committing a heinous crime by painting wood! I also had to do some convincing when I wanted white vanities in our master bathroom . I think if I wanted to paint our wooden doors the poor man would have blown a gasket! So we compromised on White trim and stained doors. Not for everyone but it works for us and keeps the peace.

I think your wood furniture and trim are lovely and perfect for a ranch! If you decide to replace your nightstands I think a painted finish would look great! Looking forward to seeing your progress.

• Morgan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I wanted to pop back on for anyone who may have been following this thread that may be interested in any progress I’ve made. I didn’t mean to go so silent, things in our world just got a little hectic and this project got pushed down the list. No major changes, but a couple of updates. I did add some gallery frames at eye level in the entry hall. I really love them (mainly because of the photos I chose), and stop to stare at them often! I rehomed some of our throw pillows to the living room and added this blue velvet one from Pottery Barn. That actually reduced the number of “extra” pillows on the bed by three, which made my husband quite happy! The biggest thing is probably this bench I found, which we are really enjoying! My husband used to sit on the foot of the bed in the morning to put his socks on, typically while I’m still in bed. We have a SleepNumber, so it would throw off the distribution and disrupt my sleep. This way, the bench adds a pop to the room and is also functional. :)

I haven’t addressed the mirror or “too high” wall hanging yet. I do have something sentimental coming that will hang above our bed. Would love to eventually change out our nightstands... but we’re in the process of growing our family and I don’t want to swap inexpensive for inexpensive, so I think I will wait on those so that I can really invest in them. I also haven’t decided if we will add a dresser or not. For now I’m kind of thinking no as we don’t need the storage, and if we eventually have a bassinet in our room it may begin to feel crowded. Will revisit that later!

I don’t know that this is all that important to anyone, but everyone was so good to reply to my initial post, so I felt I owed an update!

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

That bench is fab! Love the reduction in pillows as well (but that's my bias). It's wonderful that you're tweaking this lovely room to your home's content.

• Cheryl Smith
    4 years ago

Your room looks great. Looks like a perfect place to unwind. Love the bench.

• Bluebell66
    4 years ago

I love your updates! The bench is perfect and the pillows go great with everything. I'm glad you found something to make you smile for the entry wall.

• Yayagal
    4 years ago

Your choices are wonderful. I love the look.

• Snaggy
    4 years ago

Nice room