Your shopping cart is empty.
unoday

help! kitchen backsplash tiles-herringbone vs. subway

unoday
April 23, 2019
last modified: April 23, 2019

I’d love so thoughts about a kitchen renovation and a backsplash. I’m stuck on how to lay my tiles for the backsplash. I currently have shaker style white cabinets, quartz counter tops on the perimeter, “mystic gray”, island will be a calacatta gold honed marble. I’m debating to do backsplash with a white tile 2.5 x 8 in a herringbone style to give it some interest instead of the traditional subway brick laid tiles.

1) I’m debating between 2.5 x 8 tile size or 3 x 6. Leaning towards 2.5 x 8 because I think it looks less chunky. Thoughts?

2) Do I go with herringbone all around or subway tiles ?

Any thoughts appreciated!

Comments (11)

• traci_from_seattle

I have white shaker uppers and did a 3x9 Fireclay tile in a vertical running bond pattern.

• traci_from_seattle

If I had a larger kitchen I would have done herringbone all around.

• unoday

Thanks, that's helpful! It's a decent size kitchen. Here's a sketch.

• mark_rachel

I love a good herringbone if you have a mono color tile.

unoday thanked mark_rachel
  • unoday

I love that kitchen! Excuse my ignorance but I'm assuming when you say mono color tiles, you mean all one color ? new to all this ! :)

• PRO
    unoday thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • spisland

I’ve come to realize I prefer herringbone over a straight layout. But, and a big but it is, I almost hate herringbone when the grout color is too obvious against it. My eyes seem to wear out due to the zig zags.

I always love it when there are no discernible grout lines with herringbone though. To me that is when it is simply perfect.

unoday thanked spisland
  • calidesign

You have some variation from your marble and the hardwood floors, so I would keep it classic with a brick pattern. Herringbone looks great if you have a larger expanse of wall, but yours is more linear and mainly under the cabinets, so I would keep it simple.

• unoday

Thanks for the feedback, I hadn't thought about it like that. Ugg, tough because i'm really loving the herringbone.

• mark_rachel

I would go with herringbone (yes all one color with matching grout) under your cabinets, up to the bottom of your hood, then where your window is I would take it up over the window.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner

Forgot that I found these tiles at the local Floor & Decor and they are stunning in person whether you use them straight or herringbone. $1.44 each tile.

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun).