Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smallsadsam

Help me pick curtains! Pretty pretty please...

smallsadsam
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
I have just started decorating my new house and I need help picking curtains for my living room & dining room. Here is a picture of the beginning stages of the living room... I love bold patterns but really don't know what I can use with the chevron rug! I'm going for grey/black/white and yellow accent colour. Any suggestions??

Oh and not pictured just to the left of the window is a patio door which isn't as high as my windows, do I hang the curtain rod at the same distance from the ceiling on each one? Or do I go the same distance from the window frame?

Comments (30)

• Sharon Cameron
    10 years ago
    Solid yellow would look great! Don't compete with the chevron.
  • smallsadsam
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you! If I stick to solid curtains, a few patterns on the couch for throw pillows will work, yeah?

I have ordered this (framed) and was thinking of putting it behind the couch. If it doesn't work there I definitely will find somewhere else!
  • Janelle Ellis
    10 years ago
    As far as placement goes, you will want to hang them at the same height from the floor, otherwise if you hang them the same distance above the framing you will have more fabric bunching at the bottom than the other. I like to have my drapes be on the same visual plane so I hang them at the same heightens then there is no length issues.

As far as pattern and color go...I would stick with a gray (slightly darker than walls) curtain that has a pop of yellow, and to coordinate with your chevron (a large geometrical print) you will want a pattern that is either smaller in scale and geometrical or of similar scale and more abstract. I found these below that I thought were nice.
    smallsadsam thanked Janelle Ellis
  • smallsadsam
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I love the bottom left ones!! They look very similar to the ones in this living room that I love! Where are they from?
  • smallsadsam
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    What about these?
  • Janelle Ellis
    10 years ago
    The fabric is Robert Allen Batavia Ikat Citrine, you can buy them handmade on Etsy here http://www.etsy.com/listing/161635724/new-item-a-pair-of-flat-panels-on-clip?ref=sr_gallery_6&ga_search_query=Robert+Allen+Batavia+Ikat+Citrine&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all&ga_includes[0]=tags
    I definitely think a printed fabric on the curtains will take this roo to the next level that a solid just wouldn't achieve....it's okay to mix bold prints!!!
    smallsadsam thanked Janelle Ellis
  • Janelle Ellis
    10 years ago
    I feel like the diamonds are too similar to the chevron pattern there isn't enough difference between them
  • sbrustein
    10 years ago
    I think the last curtains you posted competes with the rug pattern. I prefer a solid or the pattern from your inspiration room.
  • smallsadsam
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Janelle, can you tell if your ikat curtains are the same as the ones in my inspiration room? I can't quite tell on my phone.
  • smallsadsam
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Anyone else care to weigh in? :)
  • indianpatti
    10 years ago
    Yellow and white pattern would look nice ... selecting the right pattern will be a bit tricky. I would suggest getting a swatch of the material before buying them.
  • smallsadsam
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I was just looking at this room last night! I definitely will be getting swatches before ordering any fabric.
  • smallsadsam
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I like this fabric but not sure about the purple. It does come in all yellow or all grey too. Maybe I'll grab these swatches and that ikat one above that Janelle posted.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/159912506/sale-curtain-panels-pair-50w-x-63-84-90?ref=cat_gallery_9
  • PRO
    Vizard Design
    10 years ago
    I really like Janelle's picks if you were to go with a pattern, I would suggest something with more of a texture than a pattern. Keep it a nice solid neutral, it will warm up the space without competing with your other patterns.

The Collector's Bedroom · More Info
  • smallsadsam
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I would really love to make a bold pattern work on the curtains. I should mention I do have white faux wood blinds going up on the windows too. Maybe a pattern more like this one will work better with the chevron? At any rate, I am going to end up with a bunch of swatches and go from there...
  • smallsadsam
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Found the fabric of the curtains in my inspiration room... At $31 a yard, I don't think that will happen! :(
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Hang your curtains the same height. Determine the height for the windows first.

I would do white panels, in good quality lined linen, with this particular black rod from Pottery Barn. Then trim the inner edge of the curtain.

Living Room Chic · More Info

PB Essentials Drape Rod · More Info

One suggestion: pull the sofa away from the windows as far as you can.
  • mcbriec
    10 years ago
    I love Janelle's Ikat curtains. Don't be afraid. Be brave and mix patterns. Follow your heart. My own thought about mixing patterns is that the curtain pattern should be much smaller than the rug pattern, perhaps like a Moroccan trellis pattern which is kind of the same idea as the triangle pattern you posted. Don't like the most recent patterns at all. Too traditional.
    smallsadsam thanked mcbriec
  • smallsadsam
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I have found some more fabric that I think might work! And also a full pic of Janelle's Ikat curtains :)
  • mcbriec
    10 years ago
    Still loving the ikat. What I like about it is that it--and bottom left pic above-- have the colors you want yet the colors and pattern are somewhat muted so as not to conflict with the very graphic rug.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Go white woven fabric panels on ends only with a stainless rod. Across window, A roman shade in charcole with a white border. Leave half way down. It will be striking.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    You need a very big art piece over sofa, with a pop of color. Very contemporary. Hang 6" from top of sofa back. Beautiful job.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Can't see door. But I would use a roman shade by it self on a door or leave bare. For a modern look.
  • ladyloops
    10 years ago
    S few things to think about.... Def pull the sectional away from the window if you can that way a console table could sit in the window ( or not). Negative space is a good thing.
    Art work above the sectional.
    Personally I like the drapes you picked but a safer bet would be a textured yellow or the grey ones with a yellow stripe in them.
    Yellow and grey look amazing together and you can even add a bit of navy in the color scheme.
    I love your rug!!!
  • Janelle Ellis
    10 years ago
    I am still LOVING the ikat print I picked out, from the ones you just posted I think the diamonds will compete to much with the chevron but I do like the first one as well.
  • PRO
    In Style Modern
    10 years ago
    I like the first one Janelle Ellis posted also the first one iamjudy recommended
  • smallsadsam
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you everyone! I have ordered a few sample fabrics for the curtains and definitely my fav so far is Janelle's ikat pick! My only concern is that while they look grey and black the description of the fabric says type and chocolate brown, so I'm not sure if they will work... Waiting for the sample to get here!
  • smallsadsam
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    So for a sliding patio door, would you leave it bare? Originally I thought to put curtains on it too, mainly because that's how it was when I moved in. I think we do need something up there for privacy since we have a neighbor in the back and it's open to our kitchen and dining room. I'll get more pics too so you can see it!
  • Karen Moreno Avila
    10 years ago
    I a think a yellow pad blinds you have there
Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH