Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mabarrett88

Help on designing master suite in NYC apartment!

mabarrett88
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I’m combining a 1BR/1BA and adjoining studio in Manhattan so space is at a premium and there will be compromises. The studio will become the master suite because of the en suite bathroom, beautiful city views and rare outdoor space. The other bedroom is lacks natural light and faces another building. We must work around some pipes and risers. Per local building codes we must remove the kitchen. We intend to add a washer dryer as we have the plumbing and drainage. This is NYC so don’t assume king bed.
Below I have included the studio floor plan along with 2 possible combination floor plans:
- one has the bed against the shared walls. This will make the room space small. Thinking maybe eliminate the door across from the washer/dryer and have a closet instead. Also move the door to the bathroom closer for additional privacy? Will it pull out rather than push in?
- one with a floating bed which is not for me so imagine it is against the hallway wall. Thinking antique mirror doors on the closets. I would have a door over the w/d area. Not sure how I feel about the sink/vanity in the bedroom. Also, would likely put a very small sink in the bathroom on the left when you enter so can wash hands.
Any thoughts on actually living in these spaces? Other options jump out at you? Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner