Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ktbee

How do we decide the length of window treatments on long windows?

ktbee
11 years ago
Our five windows in the living room are 63" long and 35" wide. The bottom casing is 36" from the floor with 36" from the top casing to the ceiling. Tradition draperies are too short according to the 1/4" break rule, but going all the way to the floor seems like a lot of drapery.

Our wall color is a butter cream yellow with moss green and plum upholstery in a contemporary setting. We like color. Can you suggest possibilities of drapery colors and length to complete our room's look? Thanks. Katie
Living Room · More Info

Comments (7)

• ktbee
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for your help.
  • PRO
    Eleven Interiors
    11 years ago
    Oops! Sorry to join the conversation so late!! I agree with JMittman above....and if you don't have the 108" in ceiling height (in any other room), then bring the drapery panels to a tailor and ask them to shorten the drapes to the length you need. I ask my installers to hang drapery about 1/4" from the floor because over time the weave of the fabric will loosen a bit and the drapes will have a little extra room to touch the floor. As for drapery color, I'd bring in a neutral (a tone up or down from the buttercream wall color perhaps) for the main body of the drapery and then band the bottom (18" - 24"), or a side (vertical, entire length of drapery, maybe 12" wide) with a color that works with your version of moss green and plum upholstery.
    ktbee thanked Eleven Interiors
  • cichervin
    10 years ago
    Help me understand the drapes here please. I'm not sure I can tell from the photo whether you sewed in an extra panel in different color, both into the drapes and the valence? I love it by the way!!
  • PRO
    Blinds Direct Canada
    10 years ago
    The drapery should definitely just hit the floor. This will give you a more custom and finished look.
  • PRO
    Eleven Interiors
    10 years ago
    To CHIHERVIN......Yes, we had our drapery workroom sew in a contrasting grey fabric to act as a stripe/border on the ends of the cream colored drapery panels and we brought that detail up to the upholstered cornice boards. And we're happy that you like it!
  • Dangereuse
    6 years ago

Dear Eleven Interiors, wow thank you for all the detailed comments on this thread! I feel I'm getting an education just from reading your comments! stunning design and attention to every detail.