Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lpasseri

I have no idea what tile / color to use. Please help!

Lisa Pass
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
My masterbath is almost complete and I've looked at almost every picture on houzz to try to get inspiration. Although all the bathrooms pictured on houzz are gorgeous I'm either too poor to afford the tiling or there is something that just doesn't click. First off I'm on a budget of $1000 total for all tiling for my 10' x 11' bathroom. As the pictures show I will be putting a drop-in $379 brand new 60" whirlpool from Homedepot. I have framed a 32" x 66" shower. Here is where my dilema started. I found a 72" vanity on sale at "Cabinets to Go" for $399.00. I couldn't pass it up because until I found that I was going to paint my builders grade junk cabinets. Anyway... I bought the expresso vanity and as the picture shows it has a "grey/white/black speckled" granite top. This changed my whole color scheme (even though my girlfriends are thrilled because they are sick of all my beige traditional rooms). I love "BRIGHT" rooms with warmth but every tile I find in a gray looks so dull. I would love to find a beautiful whitish gray that is polished and shiny, but I can't find anything. I can't afford real marble and I hate the look of the fake stuff. The best tile I've found so far is a "Happy House Avantgard Grey" tile that sells for $3.89 per square foot (see picture). It is so beautiful but it seems so dark. It also has a metallic in it and I'm not sure that is good for a shower. The manufacturer is from Italy and there are no specifications for it. http://happyhouseitalia.com/lang1/files/depliant_avantgarde.pdf

I'm leaning towards a more "contemporary masterbath" because of the vanity. I've purchased gorgeous Danze fixtures (roman tub w/handshower, sink fixtures, shower fixtures and all the towel racks, etc all matching in chrome for $400.00!! ( I know God is good :) If anyone knows of a tile series in a light grayish white polished porcelain or if anyone has any suggestions for a tile for my floor/shower/bath I would be so grateful. The plumber is coming today and I need to get some tile. :( It's driving me crazy!!

Comments (18)

• inabunker
    11 years ago
    OMG, I'm so glad I found your discussion. I am having the exact same dilemma. We are building a new bathroom with almost the same layout as yours. There is not much that goes with that countertop in any type of hue but grey, brown or beige type tile. But, I found this website that might help you with your budget and the colors:
    http://www.tile-stones.com/assets/images/Pearl_Essence_Pattern.jpg
  • Lisa Pass
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you inabunker! The tile is pretty but it's variation is too high. I'm looking for something with a slight variation. I'm going to check out the other tiles on their website. I don't think "beige" would work with my granite top. If it did I would be done by now. It has to be cool tones.
    Thank you so much!!
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    11 years ago
    Mix it up a bit. Use the tile you love on the shower walls and use something different more cost effective for the floor. Or vice versa- nothing says you have to use the same tile throughout the space as long as they compliment each other. Expensive tile can be used as an accent, too.
    View of Master Bath · More Info
    Morningside Make-Over · More Info
    Sea Girt Shore Portfolio · More Info
    Greenwich House Addition · More Info
  • Lisa Pass
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you Carolyn. Your bathroom is gorgeous. I'm going to have to get a sample of the St. Germain. I do know that the polished porcelain can be slippy but I have it in my other bath and it makes it look so bright. I love that the St. Germain has a great collection. What did you use for the shower floor? Is it also St. Germain?
  • Lisa Pass
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Kelly, I'd love to do something like your baths and just mix it up. The problem is I have to do most of my shopping by samples. I only have HP and Lowes available to me and I don't like any of their tiles in stock. I have over 70 samples of tiles in my bedroom and it's starting to drive me crazy. I don't have the expertise to put something pretty together. I guess that's why I'm looking for a collection to make it easier for me.
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    11 years ago
    For the shower floor I used the same 1 x 2" St. Germain mosaic that you see in the stripes on the wall and on the tub front. Glad you like it. Thanks!
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    11 years ago
    You sound very overwhelmed. Sorry i can't be more help. Do you have any design resources in your area? It will be worth the money to get someone in to help you choose.
  • aniluap2
    11 years ago
    You can always use a plain grey tile nd use your favorite tile to grate a line of trim in the shower part way down from the ceiling or a "mat" in front of your shower or a border around the floor. However, I like Carolyn's clean look for the contemporary look you are going for.
  • User
    11 years ago
    Try the Emser Strands tile. It gives a contemporary look with the slight variation you are talking about. I have the Oyster in my guest bath, but it is more tan than grey. The pearl may be the whiteish grey you are looking for.
    http://www.emser.com/index.php?id1=collectionDetailsIntro&id0=go_linear&index=67

I bought the Oyster online at Home Depot and I believe it came out to under $5 per square foot - I used the 12x24 size.

Also, have you tried a local tile shop? One near me had a huge selection of porcelain tile in every color you could imagine and the majority of them were in the $5 sq foot range. I used a grey in my master bath on the floor and walls and marble subway tile in the shower.
  • bluemonkey2007
    11 years ago
    If it's the color that is stopping you, don't let it,
    First you can introduce other colors through fabric( either a shower curtain, or window dressing) or artwork, or both, once you have a complete color scheme, then you can pick a tile,
    Second, gray is a very versatile color, it goes with everything, so just find a tile you like, any color, then paint stripes or a chevron pattern on your walls using both the color of the tile, and the gray in the vanity,
    Another idea is to use the beige tile from lowes that you like, and mix in a border of the gray, creating your own tile pattern,
  • Lisa Pass
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you Sam, bluemonkey, anilup and Kelly. You guys are the best. I'm definitely calming down. Sam, the color was stopping me because I kept thinking it is going to be so bland. I appreciate so much all of your advice. Sam, I'm checking out the Emsler...online of course. I really don't have a tile company close to me that I can go to except for Home Depot and Lowes :( . I am so amazed at the help you guys give. I guess I have to send for some more samples to see the colors. I ordered a Daltile Sample of their P'zazz Grey shimmer and I swear it was a sage green. Everytime I think I have the "one" something is not right. I wish a company close to me would stock these tiles :( , If you all don't mind I'm going to attach some photos of light fixtures for my vanity. I'll need 3 of them. I'm not sure I like any of these that much but these are the styles I'm looking at. if you guys know of something better please let me know. My budget is around $100 or less per light. Which do you like best?
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    11 years ago
    I like the top two
  • Lisa Pass
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you Kelly. The first one is the one I like and I found it for a great price. I think I'm going to order those ones. :D The others are cheaper but I have to live with these for a long time.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    lpasseri, before you order please check out how much light the fixtures provide as that is equally important to how they look. I would want 100 watts per fixture if you're having three fixtures. How long is the vanity? Is there other light in the room, such as recessed lighting, or other?
  • Lisa Pass
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Carolyn, the ones I like are 100 watt each. My vanity is 72" long and I do have a ceiling light, and wall with another sconce, 2 skylights and a window. Hopefully that will be enough light to put my makeup on. hehehee! Thank you for the advice Carolyn. I love "Houzz"!! I've been up all night looking at pictures of bathrooms again. I swear I know all the bathrooms on houzz.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Houzz is rather addictive, isn't it! But never boring. Glad to hear you're well lighted!
  • Lisa Pass
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    It sure is addictive!