Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rhondagoodwin

I need desperate help with decorating

rhondagoodwin
11 years ago
I want to remodel my entire downstairs by the end of the year. I am the one who decorated it when we first moved in and now I am stuck with panel on the lower half of my walls and I hate it. My downstairs is small and runs straight thru from front door to kitchen... Could someone please give me ideas on how to spruce it up, I am tired of this drab look

Comments (3.2K)

• Ernida Amda
    10 years ago
    he, we've missed seeing you on Houzz!
  • Jennifer Abbott
    10 years ago
    Hey there Rhonda! Could you post some recent photos? Going thru withdrawal :)
  • leong2012
    10 years ago
    Very Nice
  • Kevin Retired Decorator
    10 years ago
    Hows it going Ms Rhonda ? Missin Ya ! I'm re doing my bedroom now, I need more money already! lol
  • PRO
    Catherine Belan
    10 years ago
    Hello everyone. I followed for days, weeks, months.....maybe even years.....then lost track over the past two or three months. Just took a quick tour of what has transpired. Looking wonderful!

I have to ask - is there a place where all of the "after" photos have been stored? I"ll be honest, I'm having a difficult time telling the difference between groveraxle's "photos" and what is real!
  • Lynne Forrestal
    10 years ago
    All the afters are not in yet, still working on the fine tuning... we've all been waiting on the edge of our seats to see the final results :)
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    You are right catieb, groveraxle does a so good job at photop that sometimes it is hard to differentiate her work from the reality.

I would say that when you see a picture, look at the commentator who posted the picture. If it comes from Rhonda then it is real. If it comes from groveraxle then it is her photoshop's work.
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    Kevin, I just saw your comment about lacking money to finish your bedroom ... you just need to ask Rhonda to do the shopping for you. She is an expert at finding deals :)
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    10 years ago
    I might as well check in, too! Hope all is well, Rhonda :-)
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    10 years ago
    Hey Rhonda: was just thinking about you and thought I'd check in again. Hope everything is going well for you :-)
    10 years ago
    Yes ! We are missing you !
  • oneofeleven
    10 years ago
    I know none of us has met you but in some way we feel like a part of your family. I hope you and your "biological" family are alright and nothing tragic has stopped you in your tracks.
  • PRO
    Craftscape
    10 years ago
    Check out these products.
  • PRO
    Craftscape
    10 years ago
    www.craftscape.com/blue-vintage-vase.html
    http://www.craftscape.com/vase/roman-vase.html
  • bwenk
    10 years ago
    How about painting the room all one color like Litchfield gray (BM) including paneling and adding a chair rail around the room where the paneling and wall meet and paint in white. Then add a new rug to floor and accent with pillows. Remove all the knick nacks and place them in a display area away from tv. If u like the look of adding something near tv then add candles on site of it. Buy a refurbished media console to put tv on repaint yours. The curtains could go stripe or solid but something with texture or light design. More like pottery barn stripe or solid. For kitchen u can draw color thru and paint cabinets in darker color. Paint trim. And change out fan. It feels like room need more of a light fixture. If it gets hot in there then add a fan around the room or a fixture that has a hidden fan. Lowes carries them. Good luck!
  • bwenk
    10 years ago
    Simplify the walls. Put one wall with pictures in a grouping. They have brackets where frames can jut out from wall a little so that another frame can go behind. Maybe wood frames on most with a pop of silver on a few. The counter area could have stools added that swivel so that people can sit there join the conversation in the kitchen or family room. Now placement of furniture might be a bit difficult but hopefully there is a designer that comments and can give u help in that direction. Either way u need multifunction pieces. Chairs that can store or swivel. A coffee table that can store extra deleting or something else like throws. Heck get a media unit that can store your tv that way it doesn't block the window if u choose to keep there. If u move to another area maybe the picture collage can be on wall, media in front and then when tv is in use can come up in front of pics. :)
  • oneofeleven
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Can't believe this is still happening! Hey bwenk, scroll back to the initial question from the homeowner and note how long this link has been going and how many comments there are. If you have a burning desire to help look for some discussion with very few comments and then perhaps your advice will be fresh and appreciated.
  • crcarter1
    10 years ago
    If you hate the paneling you can paint it. It looks great after painted. Paint above with contrasting color but not too bold.
  • oneofeleven
    10 years ago
    That's a joke right?
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    OK, one, deep breaths...in...out...
  • vacox
    10 years ago
    I would do something about the paneling.... some one should help Rhonda! (wait, how do I know her name?)
  • jayapple21
    10 years ago
    Happy Autumn, everyone. Even though we haven't heard from Rhonda for awhile, it's like touching base with family when you all check in to her post. Best wishes to Rhonda and her family!
  • pegjustpeg
    10 years ago
    So glad we are all still excited to see the final unveiling! Can't help it. Have to check every day. Nothing like this thread and you all! Patience
  • lmckuin
    10 years ago
    I keep checking in as well to see if there is an update. I'm so impressed with Rhonda and how open she was to change and making things happen and this entire community for all the help. What a great example of community!
  • papoodles
    10 years ago
    I’m just commenting so that I will be sure to receive all the updates! I have tried( and failed) to read all 3000+ replies, but what is most amazing is that there is such nice camaraderie and a genuine helpfulness, as well as protectiveness towards the homeowner.It is wonderful!
    The best of the internet can be experienced right HERE.
    10 years ago
    Hi Rhonda, How are things going ? Miss you and all the group , Kev
  • rhondagoodwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sorry I haven't posted in awhile. Nothing more has changed since my last post. Still have my old stairs ... Haven't proceeded on anything else... But here is a big hello to everyone and miss you all
  • oneofeleven
    10 years ago
    Hi Rhonda, I'm sure we all breathed a sigh of relief that you're fine. What's left to do from the original ideas from way back when? You've come a long way from that original post and it's hard to believe the space you have now is the same one. Are you and your family enjoying the changes?
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    10 years ago
    Hi Rhonda! Don't feel pressured - everybody just wants to check in and see how you're doing, I think!
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    rhonda, good to hear from you. Glad to learn everything's ok, even if you haven't done anything new. You're one of our peeps now, so keep in touch!
  • Jennifer Abbott
    10 years ago
    Yay! So glad to see Rhonda post. Even though things are the same, how you feel about posting the latest pictures? There were so many old ones, it would be nice to have the current ones. Everyone is glad you're doing well :)
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Good to see that you're alright Rhonda :-)
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    10 years ago
    Hi Rhonda: I just happened to see this and thought of you!!!!
    http://www.worldmarket.com/product/woodlands-floor-lamp-base.do?page=2&from=fn
  • oneofeleven
    10 years ago
    That's a cute one Kathryn
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    Hi Rhonda, how things are going? Have you done any changes since the last pictures you have posted?
    Also, I know that you know how to put your own pictures on your ideabook. Can you tell me how? There is a houzzer that would like to do the same. Thank you.
  • PRO
    Cabinets & Designs
    9 years ago
    Hello,

Adding some white and trading the dark green curtains for a brighter and more modern colors would brighten up the room and change it! Possibly coral?

-Cabinets and Designs
  • pegjustpeg
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Cabinets and Designs, this post is long completed! When you have a week or two of free time, go back to the beginning and read a wonderful collaboration of pros and design enthusiasts helping Rhonda and her gracious family transform their living, & dining rooms and kitchen. It is well worth the time it takes to read!
  • studio10001
    9 years ago
    Ditto for all your posts today, Cab.
  • rhondagoodwin
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    HI All..... I've been busy, went from no work to two jobs not including my occasional cake decorating work.... Still haven't had a chance or money to get the stairs done yet.... Loving my new look though. Thank you again to all those who helped me.... You are all angels and I haven't forgotten any of you, I actually miss you all.... Hope all is well.
  • Jennifer Abbott
    9 years ago
    Good to see you post Rhonda. Would love some photos even if you're not finished.
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    9 years ago
    Rhonda, SO glad to hear from you! Sounds like you've been one busy lady - although, you were before, with your project! I know - a different kind of busy though. Glad to hear you're still cake decorating. I think we all miss you, too. Hopefully you'll be back when you get those stairs done (but we'd love to hear from you anytime)!
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Rhonda, glad all is well with you! We'll be here whenever you want to post pictures, or when you're ready for your next project. Keep well and keep us posted.
  • Zipted
    9 years ago
    Rhonda, I understand.Usually people get bored with the settings after a while.What I did was I change things every couple of years ,so i don't get sick of the same look everyday.I put my old furniture's, books on sale http://miami.zipted.com. First you need to clear things out.Clearing I meant throw things out.If you are not using for more than a year,you probably wont use it again in near future.Those things should go out.Don't bring any new items.Keep it clear and see you will get motivated.
  • PRO
    Interior Trade Furniture
    9 years ago
    just visit here http://www.interiortradefurniture.com/ i am sure this will help you to decorating your home perfectly.
  • PRO
    Bayberry Cottage
    8 years ago

Glad to see so many people helped you with this issue!

• sheilaskb
    8 years ago

I would suggest that you sand the paneling and paint it white OR two shades darker than the upper wall color. If you go with white, you might paint the chair rail and the mop board areas an accent color you really like for a "fun" look and then use the same accent color sparingly throughout the house.

• Nancy Walton
    8 years ago

This is an old post and the OP is done with this dilemma.

• PRO
  • PRO
    User
    8 years ago

Some of our decorating ideas might help.

Living Luxury · More Info

Pleasant View Court Residence, Oakville, Ontario · More Info

• sanjosebet ASIAGOL
    4 years ago

You are right catieb, groveraxle does a so good job at photop that sometimes it is hard to differentiate her work from the reality.

I would say that when you see a picture, look at the commentator who posted the picture. If it comes from Rhonda then it is real. If it comes from groveraxle then it is her photoshop's work.I personally would try not to accentuate it with trim, if it bugs you already. bandarqq I would do as babophz suggested and if possible... wallpaper up to the highest part of the angle.

Thanks, you two. I ordered a swatch of the wallpaper. Let's hope it has enough of the mustard type yellow in it to go with the pinks.