Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helen_atkinson12

Ideas for the layout of my living room?

Marigold
4 years ago

I have worn out my couch, and before I take the plunge and buy a new one, I wonder if I could do better with my room? I have ME, so need to be able to recline with my feet up for most of the day. I want to be able to see the TV (beside the fireplace) and also to be able to look at our view.

I want to keep the rug and the 2 chairs. Should I buy something in a better color with a similar footprint? More chairs and forget the couch? Any ideas for a pleasing layout? Thank you

Comments (15)

• Marigold
    Original Author
    4 years ago

the room is 16'x18'.

• jpp221
    4 years ago

What’s at the bottom of the pic? (A wall, and if so, doorways, to where?). Some more pics would help.

PS love your rug and the white chair. Beauties, they are.

Marigold thanked jpp221
  • jpp221
    4 years ago

Sorry, your second pun wasn’t loading before but now it has.

I’d remove the black chair if you don’t really need it. I’d do the same sofa layout, except maybe a bit less poofy/marshmallow. Maybe less of a back along the hallway section (one back section, one chaise section to open it up). With the TV off to the right, and the sofa creating a bit of a room divider, it feels a bit like the tv is in the hallway.

• Marigold
    Original Author
    4 years ago

we have a catwalk above, which is where I took the first pic from. This pic shows toward the front door and the second one is out the back

TY for the compliment. I agonized over that cowhide rug, and am delighted with it.

• jpp221
    4 years ago

PS the more I look—I really like your house. That fireplace stone, the wood floors—beautiful in an honest, understated way. (I am tired of “grand” designer ostentation.). Timeless.

Marigold thanked jpp221
  • Marigold
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you. I completely agree about the poofy marshmallow couch. I hadn't even noticed that until you said it. I knew the color was wrong, but it also doesn't fit with the rest of the room. I love to see through another persons eyes!

• Marigold
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Well, surprise, surprise! Apparently my husband has strong opinions.

He doesn't want to buy anything without a power/reclining feature for me. He is probably right, but I have hunted all day and I can't find anything either ready made, or at any custom place I can find that fits the bill. We seem to have too much space for a traditional couch (the console table behind the existing couch is 116"), yet not enough for a couch/loveseat combo.

I am now wondering if I could buy a few chairs for the room instead of a couch? I don't want to end up with my Grandpa's decor, but reclining with my feet up is the healthiest for me.

TY in advance for any more input. I am worried I will end up just wearing a hole in the couch we have LOL

• Cheryl Smith
    4 years ago

Healthy and comfortable sounds good to me. I tried doing 4 chairs once and hated it. It just never felt right. I missed lounging on a couch even though I don't do it often. I wanted to when I couldn't

Marigold thanked Cheryl Smith
  • Valinta
    4 years ago

I like kilrn suggestions and would look great with your white recliner. Natuzzi usually has a variety of colors in their leather selections. Pull a color from your rug that compliments the stone.
    With all that smooth fabric bring in some texture with throws and pillows. Don't overdo, start with 3 items then add more slowly. When done, remove one item (same ptrinciple used when accessorizing an outfit).
    Great room and I wish you well managing your health.

Marigold thanked Valinta
  • drdeb1234
    4 years ago

I agree that the more I see of your house the more I like it. And it’ll be great when that sectional is gone for good!!

Marigold thanked drdeb1234
  • njmomma
    4 years ago

following

• teamaltese
    4 years ago

Are the chairs Stressless brand? They make powered recliners, sofas and chairs, as well.

Marigold thanked teamaltese
  • RedRyder
    4 years ago

Would a sofa that also has a chaise at the end be comfortable for you? If it’s at the end, the room is opens up more.
    If the sofa isn’t as large as this one, you still have room for a sleek recliner chair as a second seating option. I think your rug is the absolute star of this room, so if your lifestyle allows for lighter fabrics, I’d go with a creamy color. That room is gorgeous.

Marigold thanked RedRyder
  • Marigold
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thank you everyone. I had not found Natuzzi in my searches. They have some lovely things that would work well, I think, and I can get it in Canada, too!