Your shopping cart is empty.
katie_lewis2154157

Kitchen table and light fixture help!

Katie Lewis
October 31, 2017
Hi All! I need some help finding a kitchen table and chandelier above. We recently remodeled and removed the wall from our living room to our kitchen to give us that open floor plan feel (as well as to keep an eye on our 6 month old baby :-) While I would probably change many things about my home (eg. Floor & cabinet color) it is just not in the budget right now so I need help finding a table set and light fixture that complements my cherry wood cabinets, oak floors, white quartz countertops and grey walls.... I know it's white the variety My attempt is to make my traditional cabinets and floors feel more modern (but not ultra modern). My dream is to have a large kitchen table 6-8 ppl, however, I am working with limited space. I am not partial to any style in particular, just not super traditional. Note: things that can be changed- rugs, bar stools, and wall color. We are also getting a new living room furniture and hiding a few toys! A few family request: kid friendly (if that exists), husband wants- comfort, wife wants-pretty Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

Comments (21)

• PRO
    Deb Bayless - Design for Keeps

Looks like a wise decision to have opened up the wall - nicely done! As to the dining area in the kitchen - there are loads of transitional, modern or even industrial fixtures that would work. I would also note that your current fixture is too high above the table. The lowest point should be about 30-33" off of the table. Having said that, a couple of options from Hinkley lighting are the following. For a variety from different manufacturers, try looking at Shades of Light online.

I see that the rug under your current table is a companion to the family room rug - would be more interesting to mix it up a bit. This black and gray is by Safavieh thru Overstock. Another option is the French Feedsack from Shades of Light.

This table, Emery by Six Penny, has a black base and wood top - easily accomodates 6-8 people.

Six Penny Kean chair -

Another option - Renate available from Overstock.

All clean options that speak to your palette of gray, black, and white with cherry and blue accents. Good luck!

• Cara Lewis-Watts

^^ Le the above. I'd definitely go farmhouse/industrial with this. You could even go round with the table.

• PRO
    Beth H. :

Manhatten,,,she said 6-8 people. that's far too small.

Katie,,,nice job. I think a reclaimed wood look type of table, with bench seating, (something you can push in under the table when not needed, would be a good choice.

I also like this set up below, w/the chandy. you can find these on Lamps Plus. it's Robert Abbey, but they make cheaper knock-offs as well.

• Melissa Gallagher
    Looks great!

I'd also do some pendant lights over the island and maybe a drum pendant over the table.

I like this new stuff from Target, project 62; they have some inexpensive but nicely styled pieces.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :

melissa,,,that first table is actually a pretty good pick. ditto w/the blue/gray chairs. I actually like that project 62. they have a gray bench that I want to get!

• Melissa Gallagher
    Thanks Beth!

I was in Target the other day and saw some of the stuff. I love the black and white metal table and it comes up n a coffee table as well.

That black and white upholstered chair was nice, too. And comfy. I also like the lamps. I bought this pillow.
  • Melissa Gallagher
    So, they had that table and it looked nice, I was surprised....

I might put a couple of coats of a matte polyurethane on it to keep the top easier to keep clean and not scratch.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :

I saw those! I ended up getting the very last marble table left in so cal! (not even kidding). I wanted something in the bathroom for my plants. this was a great deal!

also got the raw edge wood plant stand. They really have some nice items in there recently.

Katie,,,look around the project 62 items and see if you like anything.

I still like the idea of the dining table with a bench you can push underneath. Since that space is kind of tight, it would be out of the way of normal traffic until you needed it. you wouldn't have to mess w/getting 6 or more chairs.

Also,,,lower the canvas over the couch by a few inches. I know,,,picky,,,

and what is going off to the right by the window?

• Melissa Gallagher
    That little table is PERFECT there!

I'd buy this stuff asap because I'm sure it will sell out soon.
  • happyleg

I love the little table, but will a child get their head stuck??? I love a drum shade pendent in your dining area.

• PRO
    Beth H. :

yes, it does. especially the little tables. great deals on the pillows and those accent chairs you posted. I think the colors would work in her family room.

happy leg,,,what table would they get their head stuck?? they're only small for a short time. I would buy something that I like and watch them carefully for that period until they grow a bit.

some other table/light options

you could do a couple of pendant lights, like these

couple of drum shade options. be aware if they come w/a diffuser panel. these can severely limit the light output.

• Melissa Gallagher
    Stuck in which table?

Dining table?
  • happyleg

The hair pin round table.

• PRO
    Beth H. :

happy,,,that's my table I was showing melissa. it's more of a little side table. and no, it's not big enough for little heads.

• fuzzyguy
    FYI..... that is not a Robert Abbey light in Beth's pic. It is the original Arctic Pear Chandelier by Ochre.
  • Melissa Gallagher
    Katie, I like how you chose two different types of stools at the counter and I think your kitchen is really nice.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :

arctic pear copy Solid Glass Orb Ceiling Light

and 2 tier

robert Abbey:

Europhase

Celeste:

so glad you're around to police my comments fuzzyguy.

• fuzzyguy
    Was just pointing out that particular light in pic was the original Arctic Pear by Ochre not a Robert Abbey knockoff. Just as your other pics are showing the knockoffs. 1st 2 pics in those are not the original Arctic Pear either.
    It's has nothing to do with you personally. Just correcting a mistake.
  • Melissa Gallagher
    I love tulip tables, but I'm just not seeing one in this space......
  • PRO
    Deb Bayless - Design for Keeps

I think you might be hard pressed to use a round dining table and maintain adequate clearances. A rectangular or oval table would be better suited to seating 6-8 people vs. a 60" round.

• PRO
    Beth H. :

I should have said, "you could get a knock off that resembles the lights in these pictures unless you want to spend thousands", but that seemed a bit verbose. I figured she'd get the gist of what I was posting. you're right. the first one is a copycat,,,2nd one is the real deal.

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun).